gotta vent ripoff artists targeting MOPAR enthusiasts

-

shadango

Reaction score
Hi folks...

Is it just me, or do ripoff artists LOVe to target folks looking for old MOPARS?

I have been looking for a old MOPAR for a little while now and I am beginning to get really tired of going down dead end streets....

Finding an ad that looks really great on craigslist or elsewhere and answering...thinking that maybe, just maybe, you found the one unbelievable deal out there.....

Ok, here are two examples I have run across in just two HOURS of searching......

First one...admitedly a bit "too good to be true...LOL
http://pittsburgh.kijiji.com/c-Cars-vehicles-Classic-cars-Plymouth-W0QQAdIdZ105107306

Its an ad for a ridiculously nice 70 Cuda at a ridiculously low price......obviosuly a scam, but the details kind of mathc the car photo so I figurewhat the heck....turns out to be a scam as expected.....the "seller" emailing me as follows:
Hello,
Sorry for mailing you so late!
I'm glad that you're interested in my Cuda. The car is street legal and accurate. It comes with all the documents needed for registration, it has a clear title and it can be registered into your name at any time. I am willing to sell it for $4850.This buy now price does include the shipping and insurance fees. I'm located in Brookings ,OR and the car is here as well and so this is where the car will be shipped from. I've done some research and the best and fastest way I can ship it is using Hemisphere cargo Shipping Ltd which takes between 4 to 6 days to arrive at your door (door to door handling and shipping insurance fee included). I am affiliated with Yahoo! Finance where I have a purchase protection account for $ 10,000.00. This service allows us to complete this transaction in a manner that is quick and safe for both of us. It acts as a third party between seller and buyer to insure that both parties comply to transaction requirements and provides dispute resolution and mediation between parties. Yahoo! Finance is responsible to insure that both parties comply to transaction requirements. If this is ok with you please reply with your complete name, address and shipping address in your next email and let me know if you are interested in knowing more details about this purchase so that I can open a transaction case at Yahoo! Finance and move forward with this deal.
Thank you,

So just for kicks I emailed back a fake address and asked for more info....I asked if the car has the very rare "351W engine" to see if I could get a reply...LOL....

Then, here is the next one...

My wife found this one...

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/ctd/1037516595.html...when you click on the link at the craigslist ad it goes here.....

http://free.hostultra.com/~mycar09/1970%20Plymouth%20Barracuda.html

Basically what appears to be a original condition 70 Cuda for $4k. Ok, I know "if it sounds to good to be true" it probably is.....but hey, who knows....maybe it really is someone lookingto get rid of "an old car" fast....when I emailed asking for pictures and loctaion of car I get the email response back as follows:
"Hi ,
Thanks for being interested in buying my car. It is in a good condition, no scratches,no damages,never been implicated in any accidents,no problems at the engine,runs very well it have 94,000 miles . It has clear> title, a perfect car. The price is not negotiable ,$4,000.00 firm. The only thing because i am selling it,because i divorced with my husband and after the divorce i own this car,now as a woman i don`t need> it(i don`t have driver license)...we will use only eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection to complete the> sale. If you are interested and you have the funds available email me your full name and shipping address.
Thanks."

People suck.

And this is just two examples of the numerous ripoffs out there.

They must make their moms SO proud.

But man, its depressing...get hyoed up that "maybe" you found the deal of the century and then its just a scam.....

<sigh> This emotionalroller coaster is killing me...LOL

To those scammers out there, I say this: :bootysha::thebirdm:

Both would be worth buying IF real. You should ask if you can come take a look at them and see what kind of answer you get

I might be a bit of a fool but,,,,,,,where in any of that post does it prove that both of those are scams?????I saw no response from the ford engine reply or from the response not answering your questions. Could be they may be scams,,,,,but they both need more of a look,,,unless I'm meathead (happened before) the 100 **** deals that ya come accross could yeild one good one,,,ya gotta keep the faith and keep lookin.

o come on they look real....:toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

They seem about as legit as the white van with "FREE CANDY" spray painted on the side!

I think it happens to all brands, we just see Mopars because that is what we're looking for. Start searching corvette or Z28 and I'm sure the scams are out there.

heres what you do . tell them you have a friend that lives near there and wants to come by and look at it for you. if its a scam thats not what they want to happen and you wont here from them again. thats what my boss does every time he finds a to good to be true deal on craigslist, even if he doesnt even want it.

Why would they need your shipping address? That's strange. They don't have to know your full name either until later own when the title gets turned over.

Jims Right,
There Are Many Scumbags Or Scambags Out There.
Also A Lot Of Honest People.
A Fair Deal Will Come Someday For You.
Its Been Almost 50 Yrs For Me, Still Waiting.

I might be a bit of a fool but,,,,,,,where in any of that post does it prove that both of those are scams?????I saw no response from the ford engine reply or from the response not answering your questions. Could be they may be scams,,,,,but they both need more of a look,,,unless I'm meathead (happened before) the 100 **** deals that ya come accross could yeild one good one,,,ya gotta keep the faith and keep lookin.

Well, thats kinda what I thought......

But after responding to a few of these ads you realize they are worded so similarly.....compare the two above......very similar responses, two different ads for two different cars......

Anyways, it truns out that this is a scam.....I did some sniffing online and this apparantly is a common scheme to get you sucked into wiring money......for anything from cars to motorcycles to real estate.

True, it costs nothing to send an emai lasking for info....who knows, it could be legit......I was just venting a bit because, honestly, I tend to get very wrapped up "in the moment" when I look for and find soemthing that I am very interested in.....each time I find one of these deals I start doing whatever I can to get this awesome deal...LOL...I know thats my own fault.

Its kind of how you feel when you find a "pristine" car for sale at a great price....the owner gets you all amped up about it, you strike a potential deal over the phone, you go with trailer in tow to pay for and pick it up and it turns out to be the biggest POS on the road or off.

You feel misled, bummed out, ticked off, whatever.....

Thats all I was saying...

Its just frustrating...... :angry7:

These are Nigerian scam rings that have thousands of phony posts on Craigslist and elsewhere. They hijack real ads and put their own info in them. What's amazing is how many people send them money.

These are Nigerian scam rings that have thousands of phony posts on Craigslist and elsewhere. They hijack real ads and put their own info in them. What's amazing is how many people send them money.

They know JUST the right buttons to push too, dont they?

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Jims Right,
There Are Many Scumbags Or Scambags Out There.
Also A Lot Of Honest People.
A Fair Deal Will Come Someday For You.
Its Been Almost 50 Yrs For Me, Still Waiting.

Aye chihuahua! Thats a LOOOONG wait! LOL

Yea they look a lil' funny,Beware if you go to purchase,take a friend with you,read in mopar muscle where some guys got beat up and luckily his son had a gun with him to diffuse the mess......Be Careful

Yea they look a lil' funny,Beware if you go to purchase,take a friend with you,read in mopar muscle where some guys got beat up and luckily his son had a gun with him to diffuse the mess......Be Careful

I have heard about these shakedowns too......you never know what you are going to come up against responding to ads for stuff....

Makes ya wanna just say 'screw it'......sometimes. LOL

dude about 2 years ago I talked to an eBay guy that had just sold his six pack mopar and saw a hemi cuda for $18K on eBay..BIN...he bought it, the seller said he sure did get a lot of emails so he requested the buyer to send $9k now by money order to hold and get car ready for shipping...car was sold out of the Carlionia's..so the buyer did...the he never heard anything for 7 days and sent another email and the seller said well...he has more offers @ higher $$$ and wanted to send the buyers $9k back...the buyer stated it was a deal...sell said OK send the rest he would ship

$18k G O N E

2 years ago...do not complane about thiefs...they live everywhere...just don't give them any $$$ and report them to the police.

rent this DVD and learn...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeGOj_BO25s

A buddy of mine came to me two weeks ago with some pictures of a 68 SS 396 camaro that were emailed to him. He found it online, it was in Nebraska (we are in NJ), it was fully restored and for sale for $4850.00. Seemed the owners were getting divorced and she didn't need the car...sounds familiar huh ? She wanted money send via yahoo finance, and she would pay for the shipping. I gave him two options. option 1) fly out, look at the car, make sure it was a real deal or 2) move on to another car. I told him it was a scam. He decided not to persue the car.It pisses me off when people prey on good hard working people.

These scumbags have preyed on good people throughout human history; except, in the old days a baseball bat to the head or twisting their legs in the opposite direction usually showed them the error of their ways. There is virtually no penalty nowdays.

I once sold a car on ebay, and got sent a cashier's check for $3500...to pay for the $700 car, and then forward the $2800 balance to a 'shipper' via Western Union. Well, because I'm not that dumb, I took a half hour at lunch to call around to a couple banks, eventually finding out quite easily, that the pretty cashier's check he sent was a fake. And he also said that his 'client' needed the car urgently. As far as I know...NO ONE 'urgently needs' a Bradley GT II. Well, I could see how some people would get intimidated by this, as it was international(from the UK), although his spelling/speech patterns in the emails pointed more toward someone from either Africa or the Middle East. Well, after I took a long time responding, he threatened ME...said I was stealing from him and said he'd call the FBI. Sadly, the Ebay fees I lost were far less than the cost of buying a plane ticket to go light him on fire personally. I did, however notify the FBI/DOJ/WTF about this via their online cybercrime submittal form. I doubt anything happened, but that made me feel slightly better. In retrospect, I should've taken a lot longer to mess with him.

You know what they say, IF IT SOUNDS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE.....................A friends buddy fell for it. Sent $4800. for a $15,000 Jeep. Free Shipping!!! Like I told him, If you were selling a jeep for A third of it worth, you could sell it to 100 guys a mile from your house. You wouldnt have to run adds all over the country.

Hi folks...

Is it just me, or do ripoff artists LOVe to target folks looking for old MOPARS?

I have been looking for a old MOPAR for a little while now and I am beginning to get really tired of going down dead end streets....

Finding an ad that looks really great on craigslist or elsewhere and answering...thinking that maybe, just maybe, you found the one unbelievable deal out there.....

Ok, here are two examples I have run across in just two HOURS of searching......

First one...admitedly a bit "too good to be true...LOL
http://pittsburgh.kijiji.com/c-Cars-vehicles-Classic-cars-Plymouth-W0QQAdIdZ105107306

Its an ad for a ridiculously nice 70 Cuda at a ridiculously low price......obviosuly a scam, but the details kind of mathc the car photo so I figurewhat the heck....turns out to be a scam as expected.....the "seller" emailing me as follows:
Hello,
Sorry for mailing you so late!
I'm glad that you're interested in my Cuda. The car is street legal and accurate. It comes with all the documents needed for registration, it has a clear title and it can be registered into your name at any time. I am willing to sell it for $4850.This buy now price does include the shipping and insurance fees. I'm located in Brookings ,OR and the car is here as well and so this is where the car will be shipped from. I've done some research and the best and fastest way I can ship it is using Hemisphere cargo Shipping Ltd which takes between 4 to 6 days to arrive at your door (door to door handling and shipping insurance fee included). I am affiliated with Yahoo! Finance where I have a purchase protection account for $ 10,000.00. This service allows us to complete this transaction in a manner that is quick and safe for both of us. It acts as a third party between seller and buyer to insure that both parties comply to transaction requirements and provides dispute resolution and mediation between parties. Yahoo! Finance is responsible to insure that both parties comply to transaction requirements. If this is ok with you please reply with your complete name, address and shipping address in your next email and let me know if you are interested in knowing more details about this purchase so that I can open a transaction case at Yahoo! Finance and move forward with this deal.
Thank you,

So just for kicks I emailed back a fake address and asked for more info....I asked if the car has the very rare "351W engine" to see if I could get a reply...LOL....

Then, here is the next one...

My wife found this one...

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/ctd/1037516595.html...when you click on the link at the craigslist ad it goes here.....

http://free.hostultra.com/~mycar09/1970%20Plymouth%20Barracuda.html

Basically what appears to be a original condition 70 Cuda for $4k. Ok, I know "if it sounds to good to be true" it probably is.....but hey, who knows....maybe it really is someone lookingto get rid of "an old car" fast....when I emailed asking for pictures and loctaion of car I get the email response back as follows:
"Hi ,
Thanks for being interested in buying my car. It is in a good condition, no scratches,no damages,never been implicated in any accidents,no problems at the engine,runs very well it have 94,000 miles . It has clear> title, a perfect car. The price is not negotiable ,$4,000.00 firm. The only thing because i am selling it,because i divorced with my husband and after the divorce i own this car,now as a woman i don`t need> it(i don`t have driver license)...we will use only eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection to complete the> sale. If you are interested and you have the funds available email me your full name and shipping address.
Thanks."

People suck.

And this is just two examples of the numerous ripoffs out there.

They must make their moms SO proud.

But man, its depressing...get hyoed up that "maybe" you found the deal of the century and then its just a scam.....

<sigh> This emotionalroller coaster is killing me...LOL

To those scammers out there, I say this: :bootysha::thebirdm:
Hey look I found an old Mopar for ya
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=53590 :0

it's not just old Mopars. A friend from work was telling me about this fantastic Cadillac Escalade he had found on Craigslist for $4850, the woman selling it was getting a divorce and didn't want it. sound familiar?

-
Back