Gotta' win this one

-

VonCramp

Reaction score
Racing my car in the 1/4 on the 30th. Running 3:91 gears and a A-833 fourspeed behind a 340. I have two different types of tires to choose from. One is a pair of slicks 29" tall on some 8" centerline wheels. The other set is a 26" tall BF Goodrich drag radial mounted on some 15x7 Mustang wheels. If it helps my Cuda was at 80mph in the 1/8. I have to win this race because it's against a smack talking guy in a 55 Chevy racecar.

Guess I should've been more clear. Which of the two pairs of tires is best for me to race on at the track?

find a piece of concrete and see which hooks the best....

All things considered, I would think the taller tire with a 4 speed may limit the amount of spin you're going to realize! My vote is for the 29"!!

With a 4 speed I would use the slicks, drag radials typically don't like a 4 speed. Your trap rpm will be down a few hundred rpm with a taller tire though. Whats your red line on your 340? I ran the 26 inch BFG drag radials on my dart but its an auto, it hooked well but only runs 12.80's, would trap at 5800 rpm with a 410 gear. I agree though, the BFG's are junk compared to other brands of drag radial.

Attachments

• dart 2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 343
I'd take both with me and run a couple test runs to see which one hooked the best and which one e.t. the best

Unless you have done some trimming, the 29s are almost surely going to rub the leading edge of the quarter panel. Keep in mind that slicks grow quite a bit. If it's close, it will rub.

Slicks always better traction over most drag radials. I had a set of bfg dr when I had my neon srt4 and couldn't get good traction, swapped out to slicks and didn't have that problem anymore, my was only putting out close to 400whp at the time.

I agree the slicks will work the best but as stated above they will rub at the front of the Quarter panel.

A question I would have is when you ran the 1/8 mile which did you use and how did it hook. Same gears you will be running this time? If nothing has changed but the tire and it hooked well I would stay with the 26" tires although I agree that slicks will hook much better. Going from a 26" to a 29" I would expect a difference thru traps of about 800-1000 RPM. This could make a difference in the power band which may effect ET. As stated above I would take both and make some trial runs. Best of luck.
Rod

A question I would have is when you ran the 1/8 mile which did you use and how did it hook. Same gears you will be running this time? If nothing has changed but the tire and it hooked well I would stay with the 26" tires although I agree that slicks will hook much better. Going from a 26" to a 29" I would expect a difference thru traps of about 800-1000 RPM. This could make a difference in the power band which may effect ET. As stated above I would take both and make some trial runs. Best of luck.
Rod
Believe it or not, I was crazy enough to run my car in the 1/8 on my bias ply Firestones. I was a little sideways all the way through first and second gear. Straightened up in third. Still managed to hit 80mph though.

80mph in the 1/8, when you spin your mph is usually higher than if you hooked. as for the 29" tires they may not fit, i think the 26's would be fine, lower the pressure some,rev that thing up and give it hell. do you know what the 55 has in it?

80mph in the 1/8, when you spin your mph is usually higher than if you hooked. as for the 29" tires they may not fit, i think the 26's would be fine, lower the pressure some,rev that thing up and give it hell. do you know what the 55 has in it?

I have heard this before and I have raced for 30 years and I have not one time ran a higher mph when I spun the tires. It has always been less.

I have heard this before and I have raced for 30 years and I have not one time ran a higher mph when I spun the tires. It has always been less.
Thanks! I was trying to do the math there and just because I spun in first and second, it doesn't really affect what third and fourth are going to rotate at. The question I have now is what size cheater slicks can I run on my 15x8 torque thrust d's?

Thanks! I was trying to do the math there and just because I spun in first and second, it doesn't really affect what third and fourth are going to rotate at. The question I have now is what size cheater slicks can I run on my 15x8 torque thrust d's?

with your 391 gear a shorter tire will help but you need it as wide as possible, hoosier has a
26x11.50-15LT with a sec. width of 11.5 and tread width of 10 would be good they also make as 27x11.5-15 if you wanted to go a bit taller. both are spec'd on an 8" rim.

http://www.mccormackracing.com/cgi-...erdotdrag1&method=exact&order_by=ID&order=123
good luck:thumbup:

First lest clarify. Were taking about spinning of the line, Not smoking the tires:burnout:

By buddy had 73 duster that if it spun off the line it would run a .1 quicker. he then bought a 68 dart and put the 360,904, and 8-3/4 in it. if it spun of the line, it was way slower then if it dead hooked.

For what ever reason, the duster would continue to put the load to the tire, even though it was spinning.
The Dart, once the tire slip, it when up in smoke.

My 70 Barracuda has the same problem if it slip it goes slower.

Back to the original poster, a slick with half the contact patch aka smaller tire, will have twice the traction.

I don't thing you need the biggest tire you can fit under there, you need a Real Drag Slick. and then learn how to us it properly.

Personal, 26X9 should be plenty. The KEY is learning the best burn out prose and LAUNCH Practice.

If your going to go with a street legal, or what i call a cheater slick, you my need a little bit more contact patch.

The key with the 26X9s They should fit with out any problem.

Reaults may very i guess lol, my combo was far from optimal, but when it dead hooked it went 1.68 60' and 12.65 at 103, if it spun i went 105ish.

The hoosier qtp 26" tires would work great id think

-
Back