Grant Tuff Wheel Review

-

12many

Reaction score
Here’s a current (05-06-23) review with pictures of the Grant Tuff wheel. If you’ve read some reviews there was mention of inconsistent brush finish, sometimes nicks on the spokes, an overall unsatisfactory piece.

The one I received from Summit (05-05-23) is nice, has a uniform fine brush finish, with no nicks. The frontside cutouts and spoke edges are not sharp as has been mentioned.
The backside of the spokes though do have those sharp edges, presumably from being punched out frontside to backside. A small fine file or maybe some fine sandpaper is all that’s needed to knock the edges off (whether it’s no biggie to you or one feels having to do that is ludicrous is subjective. Your decision)

The black grip is not hard plastic as has been mentioned in some later reviews. This one has more of a firmer thick vinyl type consistency, a fingernail can be pressed in to it with give but then rebounds with no signs of indenting.
The grip texture looks like fine pored foam with mild texture. Not glossy or smooth like glass.
Very uniform and equal cut edges at the spokes. No globbing, lumps divots, fisheyes etc.

The plastic horn cap/button looks good and consistent as well. Nice faux stitching, edging and argent colored ting. The metal pronged tab on back appears to be affixed well, and is centered.
The accordion black vinyl boot for the 2” extension (#4000) looked at first to be suspect, mostly distorted from being in the box. After install it is relaxed into a nice round appearance.

Overall, better than I expected, considering having read many of the later negative reviews.
Hope that helps anyone on the fence and concerned about quality. I got a good one is all I can say.

0D7407AD-245A-4422-8855-A180817CDB47.jpeg

4E93C1FA-E5D1-4117-A222-EE3CCE2D0A31.jpeg

46820B32-67A9-461A-B653-AE94713D4FA2.jpeg

B701C1F3-369A-4774-AFB5-70005B39B8C0.jpeg

6F32E54D-8BF3-463F-A3F1-9851951BE162.jpeg

CCEE5B59-0DA5-438F-9061-2DC593BD2BB4.jpeg

Here’s a current (05-06-23) review with pictures of the Grant Tuff wheel. If you’ve read some reviews there was mention of inconsistent brush finish, sometimes nicks on the spokes, an overall unsatisfactory piece.

The one I received from Summit (05-05-23) is nice, has a uniform fine brush finish, with no nicks. The frontside cutouts and spoke edges are not sharp as has been mentioned.
The backside of the spokes though do have those sharp edges, presumably from being punched out frontside to backside. A small fine file or maybe some fine sandpaper is all that’s needed to knock the edges off (whether it’s no biggie to you or one feels having to do that is ludicrous is subjective. Your decision)

The black grip is not hard plastic as has been mentioned in some later reviews. This one has more of a firmer thick vinyl type consistency, a fingernail can be pressed in to it with give but then rebounds with no signs of indenting.
The grip texture looks like fine pored foam with mild texture. Not glossy or smooth like glass.
Very uniform and equal cut edges at the spokes. No globbing, lumps divots, fisheyes etc.

The plastic horn cap/button looks good and consistent as well. Nice faux stitching, edging and argent colored ting. The metal pronged tab on back appears to be affixed well, and is centered.
The accordion black vinyl boot for the 2” extension (#4000) looked at first to be suspect, mostly distorted from being in the box. After install it is relaxed into a nice round appearance.

Overall, better than I expected, considering having read many of the later negative reviews.
Hope that helps anyone on the fence and concerned about quality. I got a good one is all I can say.

View attachment 1716086710

View attachment 1716086711

View attachment 1716086712

View attachment 1716086713

View attachment 1716086714

View attachment 1716086715
IMO- These types of product reviews are very helpful.

That's very helpful, thank you! 1976 to 1981 dodge Adventurer pickup? Surely you won't tease us and leave us hanging with a few pics of the interior of a truck that looks that looks that good will you? We like pictures! :)

That's very helpful, thank you! 1976 to 1981 dodge Adventurer pickup? Surely you won't tease us and leave us hanging with a few pics of the interior of a truck that looks that looks that good will you? We like pictures! :)
Haha! 78 D-150 Adventurer. 360/727 w/2.94 no mods other than rims/tires, occasional topper and......the steering wheel.

647A567A-829D-4B11-A877-AFCC566F87BD.jpeg

7FED406D-C86E-4ECE-A8DE-6DE54AEC6766.jpeg

4423725D-0701-4E8B-8A33-A7268F3A4736.jpeg

I got the Grant Tuff wheel many moons ago and the only problem I had was the clear finish was very thin and started to get some surface rust, I lightly sanded, cleaned and recleared, no rust problem for years now.

Yea, I put some of that WD40 that prevents rust for a year, and mine is perfect

Thank You! that truck looks even better than I was expecting!!I would be driving the wheels off of that one whenever I had to put any highway miles in, I bet it cruises like a Cadillac..

I agree the Grant is great!
Thank You! that truck looks even better than I was expecting!!I would be driving the wheels off of that one whenever I had to put any highway miles in, I bet it cruises like a Cadillac..
65k now, it is very tight. Hit bumps and no clanking or much for rattles. It’s got minor niggles like anything old but it’s a sweet driving and riding truck.

I got the Tuff wheel as part of the Flaming River column I installed. The biggest gripe I have with the wheel is with the glue the horn button attaches to the wheel. May be a unique issue with the FR setup though.

You can use a factory horn switch with the Grant tuff wheel. The "Adapter" for the Grant horn switch pops out of the cap and the cap snaps onto the the factory switch.

A couple questions:
One, do you recall where the wheel was made? (I figure China.) :(

Two, do the spokes attach to the center or back of the rim? If the former, how is clearance to the turn signal stalk and column shifter? I recall that's an issue with some vehicles.

So clearance is a little bit of an issue. All I did was very carefully hold the turn signal arm at the end, closest to the column, and gently bend it outward. It's just a tiny amount. Mine came out great. You can't even tell. Or, you can purchase the Adapter that bolts on first, and then just bolt the wheel to it.

Nice steering wheel. I bought the wood version. Hoping it looks as good as yours.

Great review and thanks for taking the time and effort to do it. I appreciate, as do many others, honest, unbiased, real world reviews. I too have a Grant on mine and had a similar experience.

A couple questions:
One, do you recall where the wheel was made? (I figure China.) :(

Two, do the spokes attach to the center or back of the rim? If the former, how is clearance to the turn signal stalk and column shifter? I recall that's an issue with some vehicles.
There was no c.o.o. Markings on any of the boxes, likely China or maybe Taiwan? Pretty sure the spokes are welded towards the back inner radius of the rim but level with the backside of the tube. Being a tilt column and with the angle of the shifter I needed the 2” spacer. The turn signal stalk would clear with or without the spacer.

I just bought a 13.5" Grant wheel and Mopar adaptor kit......will be fitting it soon to my A100.

1684278315484.png

1684278358477.png

How well did your horn connection go ?.....instructions sound a bit wishy-washy at best.3

PS.....can you send me some more pics of your van please....it looks awesome from the back. :thumbsup:

I just bought a 13.5" Grant wheel and Mopar adaptor kit......will be fitting it soon to my A100.

View attachment 1716090725

View attachment 1716090727

How well did your horn connection go ?.....instructions sound a bit wishy-washy at best.3

PS.....can you send me some more pics of your van please....it looks awesome from the back. :thumbsup:
You might want to verify the installation kit part#. This is the one I’m using on my 67 as called for in Grants chart, which has the copper foil on the backside of the splined adapter that the horn roller contact rolls on.
Or are you using a different steering column?

EE70E180-0036-4F87-A88E-650EA413B04B.png

Im using a Joe’s Racing steering wheel which I had to drill to fit the Grant #4315 but haven’t got around to getting the horn hooked up atm.

Last edited:
had one in my 71 dart. couldn't beat the price at th etime.. i couldn't use that horrible grant adapter though. used an original tuff wheel adapter..

tuff wheel 001.jpg

tuff wheel 003.jpg

tuff wheel 009.jpg

tuff wheel 010.jpg

You might want to verify the installation kit part#. This is the one I’m using on my 67 as called for in Grants chart, which has the copper foil on the backside of the splined adapter that the horn roller contact rolls on.
Or are you using a different steering column?

View attachment 1716090733
Im using a Joe’s Racing steering wheel which I had to drill to fit the Grant #4315 but haven’t got around to getting the horn hooked up atm.

View attachment 1716090753
I may still have to get some fab work done on the column to switch adaptor - Trying to use a Toyota column adapted for the Grant wheel. Really outside the box stuff is what I am doing.

I am trying to ID the one that came on my Duster. It has a strange ridge all the way around on the inside of the padded area. It looks nice, I just haven't seen one with this ridge?

0YepUQ-0bXfQW7D71ICNI5oQ=w695-h927-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

-
Back