Grant Tuff Wheel Review

-
Factory wheels have that inside ridge.

...with simulated stitching.

BriaT- that appears to be an original Tuff Wheel. They definitely have the ridge. I believe there is a little Chrysler symbol stamped on the wheel under the horn cap with a part #.

I will look under the cap. In fact I've got to work on the contacts for the horn button anyway. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE for it to be an original Tuff wheel but I'm not holding my breath. Thanks guys!

Yes.

IIRC they were $150 last time I checked.

I'm not sure, but I THINK the Grant adapter works on Tuff wheels.

Or...maybe that's backwards, and the Grant Tuff wheel clone works on the Chrysler mounting adapter.

Or maybe I just need more coffee.

Or...maybe that's backwards, and the Grant Tuff wheel clone works on the Chrysler mounting adapter.

I believe you got it backwards.... lol

both. problem is the grant adapter is ugly as hell.

i ran the grant wheel with a factory rimblow/tuff wheel adapter.

Here’s a current (05-06-23) review with pictures of the Grant Tuff wheel. If you’ve read some reviews there was mention of inconsistent brush finish, sometimes nicks on the spokes, an overall unsatisfactory piece.

The one I received from Summit (05-05-23) is nice, has a uniform fine brush finish, with no nicks. The frontside cutouts and spoke edges are not sharp as has been mentioned.
The backside of the spokes though do have those sharp edges, presumably from being punched out frontside to backside. A small fine file or maybe some fine sandpaper is all that’s needed to knock the edges off (whether it’s no biggie to you or one feels having to do that is ludicrous is subjective. Your decision)

The black grip is not hard plastic as has been mentioned in some later reviews. This one has more of a firmer thick vinyl type consistency, a fingernail can be pressed in to it with give but then rebounds with no signs of indenting.
The grip texture looks like fine pored foam with mild texture. Not glossy or smooth like glass.
Very uniform and equal cut edges at the spokes. No globbing, lumps divots, fisheyes etc.

The plastic horn cap/button looks good and consistent as well. Nice faux stitching, edging and argent colored ting. The metal pronged tab on back appears to be affixed well, and is centered.
The accordion black vinyl boot for the 2” extension (#4000) looked at first to be suspect, mostly distorted from being in the box. After install it is relaxed into a nice round appearance.

Overall, better than I expected, considering having read many of the later negative reviews.
Hope that helps anyone on the fence and concerned about quality. I got a good one is all I can say.

View attachment 1716086710

View attachment 1716086711

View attachment 1716086712

View attachment 1716086713

View attachment 1716086714

View attachment 1716086715
I got the wood version of this wheel and it looks horrible so I am sending it back and getting this one instead. Thanks for the review! Sold me on it for sure.

Bill

I got the wood version of this wheel and it looks horrible so I am sending it back and getting this one instead. Thanks for the review! Sold me on it for sure.

Bill
I almost bought a wood tuff wheel,but once in hand it didn’t look right, so I went with the regular tuff wheel. I like it. The edges on mine are a little sharp but as the OP stated in his review, this is easily remedied.

both. problem is the grant adapter is ugly as hell.

i ran the grant wheel with a factory rimblow/tuff wheel adapter.
Wheeler Dealers did a Sunbeam Alpine with a steering wheel adaptor and the extension cover was made from a tall fruit can.
Painted black, who would know at a glance? :lol:

Finally got around to installing the Grant Tuff Wheel and quite frankly I am disappointed. Horn button was broken out of the box just like the wood version that I originally ordered and returned. That's 2 for 2 on broken horn buttons out of the box. It also doesn't do much for confidence that a non-broken one would last as the way they are attached is cheesy. I will be on the lookout for a factory horn button and switch as well as the adaptor.

The rest of the wheel looks decent and I am happy with it.

-
Back