Graveyardcarz is restoring a 71 Demon 340

-
Are you referring to Dan Short at FantomWorks in Norfolk? I believe he charges $75/hr for labor. I stopped in to his shop about 6 years ago when I first moved to Virginia Beach. He was very friendly and showed me around his shop.
Amazes me how many hours are billed to a restoration. Last episode I saw was a Studebaker truck that must have had a ton of metal work for the front end they did, and they didn't paint it or do much if any mechanical work, and it wasn't cheap. The owner seemed happy so that's all that matters I guess.

Noooo! It can't be!

Woman is an asshat, and reminds me of former bosses who thought they were the best. Anything he does is better than what I would do, I'll give him that. Some of the shops that are "high end" make mistakes or take shortcuts too. Have a friend that pulled his car out of Muscle Car Restorations because of the shoddy work they were doing. Too many bad/shaddy shops on all levels. Like you said, do your homework before you give them money or your car. I'm glad I don't have anything I'd ever want restored to the level of an OE gold, I get to enjoy cars without worry.

And I'll still watch the show, the dumbass drama level has gone down over the years and I like seeing Mopars get worked on, regardless of their significance.

These are roughly $60K to $90K turn key restorations. The condition, completeness, model/motor are variables. That will probably not get you OE gold at Nationals with a turn key owner do nothing resto. Most likely not close. Just going through most every component of a car is very labor intensive.

The shops I listed don't all produce restos at the same level. And within each most will produce restorations and different levels due to customer budget.

$/hr doesn't really give you a great price comparison. A lot of resto shops are very slow. But others have additional real experience as regular paid mechanics that understand the efficiency element of the work. They can do the same job in less hours. And move onto the next project/customer.

And here's another thing that makes it tough to make judgement on a shop. Owner rarely will go out of there way to tell someone:
"I ran out of money so I told the shop not to restore the grilles"
"I wanted a driver level paint job to keep costs down"
"My budget got tight so I choose install the motor myself and put the scratches on the inner fenders"

Last edited:
I totally get that, I'm sure it gets nicer the deeper the pockets. I've just heard stories from all levels of shops, no matter the quality they claim to produce. The guy with a Daytona going for OE gold sure isn't going to skimp on little details.

50-90k would build my fleet of 3 and give me a garage to boot.

Well, regardless of what the haters say, I like the show. I know it is TV, but where else can you watch an hour of "Mopar Madness" I like the show, and I will continue watching it. I find Mark to be a little obnoxious at times, but I think he is funny too.

I totally get that, I'm sure it gets nicer the deeper the pockets. I've just heard stories from all levels of shops, no matter the quality they claim to produce. The guy with a Daytona going for OE gold sure isn't going to skimp on little details.

50-90k would build my fleet of 3 and give me a garage to boot.

For sure. I agree. A car has so many components. So many variables. There will be mistakes. Some just bigger than others.

That's with you doing the work. And maybe you don't want the same level/result as a full tilt resto. You just have to have skills, time, and resources.

That's with you doing the work. And maybe you don't want the same level/result as a full tilt resto. You just have to have skills, time, and resources.
Absolutely. I'd farm out the machining for the engine and paint and do the rest myself with help from a few people, that's all I've ever known.

Well, regardless of what the haters say, I like the show. I know it is TV, but where else can you watch an hour of "Mopar Madness" I like the show, and I will continue watching it. I find Mark to be a little obnoxious at times, but I think he is funny too.

Not trying to say I hate the show.

But beyond the entertainment.. there are real people, exchanging real money, for a desired expectation.

On the show Overhaulin', the owners didn't pay anything for the work done on the show.

Not trying to say I hate the show.

But beyond the entertainment.. there are real people, exchanging real money, for a desired expectation.

On the show Overhaulin', the owners didn't pay anything for the work done on the show.
And they got what they paid for.

And they got what they paid for.

Well at least they got that.

But would you agree almost always what they ended up with was for sure more valuable and closer to functional than the "before" ??

Yea, I know a few local shops that repaired the aftermath of those deals.

Well at least they got that.

But would you agree almost always what they ended up with was for sure more valuable and closer to functional than the "before" ??

Yea, I know a few local shops that repaired the aftermath of those deals.

I'm not sure I'm going to totally agree, but for the most part, yes.

Don't get me wrong, I will never bag on Chip. He is for sure what more people in our industry need to be like. He is absolutely one of the nicest people you will ever run across. He's worked very hard to be where he is and he has earned his reputation.

I really do enjoy the show, Worman just seems to be having a good time. I would be giddy to have his business, make money and build Mopars all week long. His cars look fantastic from my couch lol.

What I would do different is have a shop that offers all levels of a rebuild and restore. Seeing every car going through a full, stock resto is getting played out. I for one know what it's like to be on a tight budget and make shortcuts where I can because I want a driver not a show car. It would be cool if he did budget builds and engine/chassis/drivetrain upgrades.

And totally understood.

The mistakes are not juvenile. He is not a total hack. Not a even a partial hack. But you made the statement Worman appeared to be the best in the country. There's are a BIG gap between juvenile mistakes and #1 in the U.S. for concours level resto.

The mistakes are upper level concours type mistakes. But some are sort of basic for those restoring Hemi cars. The steering pulley did not line up. Hemi cars have a thicker crank balancer so many of the pulleys are special to them. So the pulley was not pressed on all the way to make up for the difference. That can lead to mechanical failure and it's just a uneducated short cut.

It also had the wrong brand tires. Wrong master cyl. I'm not going to bash this owners car. IT IS VERY NICE. But the owner expected more.

Tony D is not there restoring those cars day to day. Pretty hard to train someone to be #1 in a profession over emails and phone calls.

Careful with "experts". Experts who rebuild top level concourse wiper motors or concours hood latches or concours gauges often are not top level at restoring a whole car. Parts experts are parts experts. It takes more than one specialty to do a whole car to a top level. It's a lot of utilizing and executing the right and appropriate specialized resources.

I think you need to go to a Carlisle or Nationals in your area and look at the cars that show being judged for top flite categories. Honestly more of those will be B and E bodies. Not to say there are not A-bodies restored to that level, but just fewer and harder to seek out. Get out and talk with the owners face to face. And do back research too. Many owners will claim to have had a car restored at a shop, only to actually find out they did part of the work or just minor things.

Kohr's Kustoms and Totally Auto (forgot to mention) are in PA.

PLEASE remember this is T.V.... Does the show state it is a 100% Documentary?

I live in LA. I know people who work on reality TV shows. Things are not what they appear....Storage Wars. Fake. A friend was asked to be an expert consultant on that show for a Nascar pit crew air gun. The air gun was HIS. They paid him to use the PROP in the storage locker AND to speak on the show. AND HE GOT HIS AIR GUN BACK.

hi autoxcuda...

well first off, i should not have said or inferred that worman was the best in the country for mopar restorations. being a retired sleazy attorney i spent a career "never" using "absolute" terms about "almost" "everything." so that was my mistake. while one can say a "few" things about "some" stuff in absolute terms - like "the sun WILL come up tomorrow" - it's always dangerous and "almost always" inaccurate to use absolute terms in reference to "someone's skills" being "the best there is." i should have talked in more reasonable terms.

as to the various levels of restorations, i do understand the nuances you are referring to regarding "100%" or "100 point" cars. i often watch the show "Chasing Classic Cars" with "Wayne Carnini." i went to college in boston and "wayne" is a common "version" of a "car guy" that you find in New England. he deals primarily with very high end collector cars and collectors - usually foreign cars - and is often at "very high end" car shows. i suspect you may have attended the Pebble Beach "Concours" auto event that he often attends. rarely does wayne ever talk in terms of a special car he is featuring being driven on a regular basis. more often, he talks in terms of a car he is selling being a great additional to "a collection" or a "collector grade"

there is clearly a "collector grade" mopar crowd, whether they are looking for the "1 of 3" model or the "lowest miliage survivor on the planet" or a car that has undergone a "museum quality" restoration. i think i can confidently say that "these" people and "these cars" would not be associated with mark worman. i think these are the "correct harmonic ballancer for a 1969 426 Hemi" examples you've noted.

in the final analysis, i think whether or not to send a car to worman to restore has to do with what the owner is expecting. the last couple of "hemi car" owners i saw on the show would frankly, make me nervous to do a car for. their body language and general demeano struck me as similar to a few potential clients that i refused to represent because in the first 5 minutes of talking with them, all i got was "any problem i have with you is going to result in me suing your ***." i found out early in my legal practice that those kind of people need to be avoided at all costs. as to the "success" worman seems to be having, i get the impression that there are "millionaire" mopar collectors out there that are now calling worman to restore a "million dollar" car they own with the expectation that they are going to get the "museum quality" or "Pebble Beach concours level" car back. as i noted preveously, i don't think worman is producing that level of restoration.

now, with all this said, is what worman is doing worth the cost he is charging? i have no idea as i don't know what he is getting for one of his "complete" restorations. with today's paint, material and average labor rates, it costs at least $35k to do a "pretty good" complete restoration. that level of repair DOES NOT include removing every single part down to the bare body shell and then starting from that point and adding all "restored original" or "NOS" parts. what worman is doing with tearing every car apart HAS to be in the $75-$100k range. so you're a millionaire with a "1 of 2" Hemi car. at the last mecum or barrett-jackson auction, a similar car sold in the $500k-$700k range. are you going to take that car to mark worman to restore thinking that giving him $100k will result in a car likely to bring "over a million" at the next national auction? from watching the show, that appears to me what a few of the owners may have done.

you are correct in your summary: there are a very small number of "concours restorers" in the country that really only build "100 point" cars. i agree, "Graveyard Carz" is probably not in that category. i think mark worman IS building "very nice" and actually "beautiful" cars. i would LOVE to have a car he has built. it remains with every customer that goes to him to determine if he has produced what they "wanted" and what they "thought" they would get - and if what they "paid" for the work he did, was a good value to them.

ps. from your mention of the Van Nuys car show and all the other "car restorers", i figured you live in california. the "politics" out there are nutty but your state IS the "car capital of the world."

Last edited:
Are you referring to Dan Short at FantomWorks in Norfolk? I believe he charges $75/hr for labor. I stopped in to his shop about 6 years ago when I first moved to Virginia Beach. He was very friendly and showed me around his shop.

yes.. that's the show. i actually just watched two of programs. i would like to meet him. i am former military and i think he is too. as to "VA beach", i spent a fair amount of time there at the Dam Neck base and still have family there. in my "younger days", i was a serious "beach bum" and always loved va beach. i've had more "fun" there than any other beach i've every been to.

I thought you were a Veteran - thank you for your service! I do believe Dan is retired Navy. Like other's have said, it's reality TV so you never know what to think when you see their attitudes. He was very kind to me...no doubt he was very proud of his shop when he showed me around...and it was before any talk of the TV show. I also spoke with Asa, the owner of Outlaws Rod and Customs. He too was a great guy. I think for most part they're good guys and car people. I'm sure some shops put out better work than others. Like you, I hope the ones that don't won't be in business long.

I like watching Graveyard Carz just to see Mopars get some love. I didn't know about the 71 Demon so I'll be on the lookout for that.

Ahhhhh, VA Beach! I kinda miss it. We would take our dogs to Dam Neck Dog Beach all the time. It was quiet compared to the tourist beach and you can take your dogs year around. And there's nothing like taking the Barracuda cruising down Atlantic Ave on Friday and Saturday nights!!! Oh, and that one guy with dark brown leathery skin, white hair and beard, holding a Corona is always walking down the boardwalk. Seems like I see him at every beach I go to, lol.

yes.. that's the show. i actually just watched two of programs. i would like to meet him. i am former military and i think he is too. as to "VA beach", i spent a fair amount of time there at the Dam Neck base and still have family there. in my "younger days", i was a serious "beach bum" and always loved va beach. i've had more "fun" there than any other beach i've every been to.

I think your all confusing what Worman actually does, as opposed to his reality TV persona. I have never met him, nor seen one of his cars in person, but they look pretty nice. As far as his know it all attitude, I think that is TV, not him, as I am sure the fake drama and "tricks" they play on his daughter are not real either. Give the guy some credit. He is a regular old body shop guy, worked his way into his own shop, has a passion for Mopar Muscle Cars, made a great resto business on the side and got a TV show out of it. The TV show also probably, gives him a lot of the shop equipment as perks and free advertising. And I still think the guy is funny!

The company (pressure washers) I work for is a sponsor of the show, ok they are a product placement of the show, they gave them a pressure washer for the show and every once in a while you will hear him say "go use the (brand name) pressure washer to wash that part." The company contacted a bunch of the car shows and Graveyard Cars was the only one that would do it just for the product, every other show wanted the product plus be paid for the advertising. The part I find hilarious is that the owner of the company is a die-hard Chevy guy and he is sponsoring a Mopar show.

Not to change the subject, but speaking of less than excellent quality work coming from a car show, do you guys remember Pimp My Ride? I used to laugh my but off at some of the junk they turned out.

Not to change the subject, but speaking of less than excellent quality work coming from a car show, do you guys remember Pimp My Ride? I used to laugh my but off at some of the junk they turned out.
"We made you a bowling ball fish tank video game system!"

Last edited:
hi autoxcuda...

well first off, i should not have said or inferred that worman was the best in the country for mopar restorations. being a retired sleazy attorney i spent a career "never" using "absolute" terms about "almost" "everything." so that was my mistake. while one can say a "few" things about "some" stuff in absolute terms - like "the sun WILL come up tomorrow" - it's always dangerous and "almost always" inaccurate to use absolute terms in reference to "someone's skills" being "the best there is." i should have talked in more reasonable terms.

as to the various levels of restorations, i do understand the nuances you are referring to regarding "100%" or "100 point" cars. i often watch the show "Chasing Classic Cars" with "Wayne Carnini." i went to college in boston and "wayne" is a common "version" of a "car guy" that you find in New England. he deals primarily with very high end collector cars and collectors - usually foreign cars - and is often at "very high end" car shows. i suspect you may have attended the Pebble Beach "Concours" auto event that he often attends. rarely does wayne ever talk in terms of a special car he is featuring being driven on a regular basis. more often, he talks in terms of a car he is selling being a great additional to "a collection" or a "collector grade"

there is clearly a "collector grade" mopar crowd, whether they are looking for the "1 of 3" model or the "lowest miliage survivor on the planet" or a car that has undergone a "museum quality" restoration. i think i can confidently say that "these" people and "these cars" would not be associated with mark worman. i think these are the "correct harmonic ballancer for a 1969 426 Hemi" examples you've noted.

in the final analysis, i think whether or not to send a car to worman to restore has to do with what the owner is expecting. the last couple of "hemi car" owners i saw on the show would frankly, make me nervous to do a car for. there body language and generally demeano struck me as similar to a few potential clients that i refused to represent because in the first 5 minutes of talking with them, all i got was "any problem i have with you is going to result in me suing your ***." i found out early in my legal practice that those kind of people need to be avoided at all costs. as to the "success" worman seems to be having, i get the impression that there are "millionaire" mopar collectors out there that are now calling worman to restore a "million dollar" car they own with the expectation that they are going to get the "museum quality" or "Pebble Beach concours level" car back. as i noted preveously, i don't think worman is producing that level of restoration.

now, with all this said, is what worman is doing worth the cost he is charging? i have no idea as i don't know what he is getting for one of his "complete" restorations. with today's paint, material and average labor rates, it costs at least $35k to do a "pretty good" complete restoration. that level of repair DOES NOT include removing every single part down to the bare body shell and then starting from that point and adding all "restored original" or "NOS" parts. what worman is doing with tearing every car apart HAS to be in the $75-$100k range. so you're a millionaire with a "1 of 2" Hemi car. at the last mecum or barrett-jackson auction, a similar car sold in the $500k-$700k range. are you going to take that car to mark worman to restore thinking that giving him $100k will result in a car likely to bring "over a million" at the next national auction? from watching the show, that appears to me what a few of the owners may have done.

you are correct in your summary: there are a very small number of "concours restorers" in the country that really only build "100 point" cars. i agree, "Graveyard Carz" is probably not in that category. i think mark worman IS building "very nice" and actually "beautiful" cars. i would LOVE to have a car he has built. it remains with every customer that goes to him to determine if he has produced what they "wanted" and what they "thought" they would get - and if what they "paid" for the work he did, was a good value to them.

ps. from your mention of the Van Nuys car show and all the other "car restorers", i figured you live in california. the "politics" out there are nutty but your state IS the "car capital of the world."

I don't want to get into too many details publicly. But on the particular 69 Hemi RR conv, the owner did consider other restoration shops at comparable prices. And he has had other cars restored at other shops in the past. This is the first at Graveyard Cars. In hindsight considering all plus and minus incidentals, he would have gone another direction.

I agree, some customers are attempting to add the intangible stigma/attention/hype of a well known TV show onto their cars. Some hoping that intangible will help a shorter term resale. Some want the feeling a little extra special-ness to their cars.

I do understand there being a value to customers having their cars restored on a well known TV show. It may seem irrational, but hobbies are rarely rational. I know this car hobby surely isn't rational for most and it's certainly not to me.

TV shows are very calculated specialized pieces of entertainment. They are scientifically designed to entertain a viewer currently and in the future. If they could burn a $500K car to the ground and gain $2 million dollars of advertising money, they would do it. Their goals are different than a person trying to restore a car.

There is no purpose of the show to help or aid potential customers make decisions whether a restoration shop is a value to a customer.

Yay another A-body that's screwed. The sublime '70 Charger they done came in a pile and left a pile, the red Daytona isn't all that amazing too. If you think he does good work look up how many OE Gold awards he has won from Carlisle or Nats.

I like almost any car show on TV, this one a little more because it has Mopars on it. I think Mark is a Dick on the show. I liked Darren on the first couple of seasons. I think he knows way more than mark does, he always busted Marks balls about that. I like to see them restore a car correctly not out of a catalog with all these Chinese parts. So many people thinks he restore these car correct. The cars are far from correct. Does he do a nice job yes.
I am happy they are doing an A body but I hope they do not screw the car up, it is a very rare car.
Just my 2 cents

well.... the one thing i think "most" of us will agree on is that it's good that there is an "all mopar" restoration show on TV. whether Graveyard Carz is producing "100 point" cars or only "80 point" cars does not affect my enjoyment of just watching my favorite old cars come back together looking like they did when they were new 47 years ago. the show brings back a lot of memories for me of being in high school and hanging out on a Saturday morning at the local Plymouth dealer in my hometown drulling over the "Hemi" Roadrunners and "440 Six-Pack Cudas" in the shop or in the show room. i watch this show for entertainment and really do not think that much about the financial or "TV production" side of the show. i hope the show stays on TV for many more seasons - i for one, CANNOT get enough of "old mopars."

I'm looking forward to the show tomorrow night

TV is simply entertainment, and reality TV is entertainment at a another level! if the "head dude" on that show has an attitude, and that attitude helps ratings, I bet the producers help him develop is attitude!?? ha
any show that features Mopars is like finding a co. that repops mopar parts!! ..... yeah!!/.... even if repoped in Afganhistan!? China... or Rode Island...

-
Back