Greasing new wheel bearings and hub.

-
Huh, "DO NOT OVERFILL" in bold type. :poke::lol: Like I said, do it any way you wish as long as you do it.

Yup. It clearly says to fill it, not overfill it. It's in black and white.

Yup.The valve train is the fastest moving thing in the engine.
Not to argue but the camshaft turns at half speed of the crankshaft so the pistons are the fastest moving thing in the engine.

I would think the void between the brgs in the hub is to save weight & cast iron, not to fill it with grease. And I don't see filling the hub with grease as helping to dissipate heat from the brgs, as the hub is going to pick up heat from the attached brake drum or disc rotor.

Not to argue but the camshaft turns at half speed of the crankshaft so the pistons are the fastest moving thing in the engine.

Negative. The valves are the fastest moving. TO argue. Because it's true.

I would think the void between the brgs in the hub is to save weight & cast iron, not to fill it with grease. And I don't see filling the hub with grease as helping to dissipate heat from the brgs, as the hub is going to pick up heat from the attached brake drum or disc rotor.

The factory service manual says otherwise. I think they knew what they were doing.

Seems like the old argument of what came first the chicken or the egg! Either way to fill or not to fill is a personal preference. Can’t we all just get along? LOL

I have to agree with RRR. A valve needs to open AND close (theoretically) in one downward (Intake) or one upward (exhaust) stroke of the piston.....That's fast!

But wait........In one stroke, the piston moves 3.31 inches and a valve would only move 1.1 inches with a .550 lift in the same stroke.........:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I’m not arguing because I’m right. Any argument is on you.

Two crankshaft turns for one camshaft turn. So that means two piston strokes for one open/close of both valves. Valves move half as much as pistons.
4 stroke engine
Intake
Compression
Power
Exhaust

Two crankshaft turns for one camshaft turn. So that means two piston strokes for one open/close of both valves. Valves move half as much as pistons.
4 stroke engine
Intake
Compression
Power
Exhaust

ok.

4 stroke engine
Intake
Compression
Power
Exhaust

You may be forgetting that valves open and close over a very short period of cam rotation.

Someone should do the math and calculate piston speed in the middle of a stroke vs valve speed at the middle of it's stroke (both at the same rpm).

You may be forgetting that valves open and close over a very short period of cam rotation.

Someone should do the math and calculate piston speed in the middle of a stroke vs valve speed at the middle of it's stroke (both at the same rpm).

What he says would be true it the rockers weren't a multiplied ratio. He's forgotten that too.

An advertised lift of .550 takes the rocker ratio of 1.5:1 into consideration. So in theory, in one stroke, the piston would move 3.31 inches and the valve would move 1.1 inches in the same length of time. Piston would be faster......

This is fun:D :popcorn:

An advertised lift of .550 takes the rocker ratio of 1.5:1 into consideration. So in theory, in one stroke, the piston would move 3.31 inches and the valve would move 1.1 inches in the same length of time. Piston would be faster......

This is fun:D :popcorn:

Close, but it's not the same length of time. The cam's duration is not 365.

That said, according to my math, my 340 (at 5000 RPM) has an average piston speed is ~2758 fpm, while the intake valve's average speed is ~624 fpm.

Greasing wheel brgs & what the manual says.

Maaaany things that were done in the 60s & 70s have changed, or been reversed, as more knowledge has been gained. Two, off the top of my head:

- Today, 2nd ring gap is made larger than top ring.
- Chrys wedge heads had the spark plug closer to the intake valve. Modern wedge heads have the s/plug closer to the exh valve.

-
Back