great 318 article

-
Old news but allways good news. Often a brought up page on 318's.
I'd like to know the cam they intended to use and if it the engine needed the clearance with the piston notchs for cams over .500. I think the one they choose would clear.

There was a very similar one at car craft.Cant find it anymore though..

Don't believe everything you read in magazines,$1400.00 spent and they got 400 h.p. out of a 318,ya right...

what they did is very similar to what i am doing to my 318 and bjr racing says i should make close to 400 hp

i was just looking through some websites that had 318 builds. i came across this article from Hot Rod Magazine on a 318 build they did. they achieved 400 hp with a 318 on a budget. good info! check it out

http://www.hotrod.com/howto/113_0304_318_small_block_build/index.html

Budget yes,provided you dont pay for the major porting those heads needed.

There are other articles out there,one at comp cams and the other at hot rod.Essentially the same article really.The articles used stock magnums with very similar results.Less torque as they used a single plane M1 and not an air gap.They also used a single pattern comp cam.

Im willing to bet the magnum would beat the 302 if similarly built(ie;ported,dual pattern cam,dual plane air gap)

Oh man,let the bullets fly...

One thing that I see is the fact that they flowed the 302 heads as stock then went straight to the 2.02's without trying to use the 1.78 or the 1.88 valves with there porting. I guess they went the bigger is better route. Had they knew that the smaller valves would have worked better they wouldn't have went that big on the valves. But they made no mention of how much time they spent flowing the heads or any experimenting on them, they just went straight to the big valves. Now if they would have done the same work and and at least used the 1.88 valves they would have seen a increase in Tq. and Hp as the big valve and small port has to loose velocity, air speed can't gain when moving into a larger area it has to slow down, because the pressure is less. If what there saying is true then they should have went to the 360 head as it would be more useful with the 2.02 valves and make better use of the ports. To me this is just for the mags. but there are better ways to skin the cat. And there's no way that the engine will ever use the 2.02 valves and only open the valves .480 lift. But this is my opinion.

Like ya said, it's a mag doing work. Sometimes, telling the whole story or doing work you might like to know about doesn't make the print. Be it they skip it all and run for the other head or they just didn't think of doing it or care to do it.

At that level (Cam size) they could have stayed with the 302 and a bowl porting with small valves. I could see a 1.88 in there, but a 2.02?

They just haven't learned yet, they'er kind of like mushrooms, feed them s**t and keep em in the dark........LOL

They just haven't learned yet, they'er kind of like mushrooms, feed them s**t and keep em in the dark........LOL

rotflmfao...!

I always tell chevie guys to grow up and stop playing with toys...GET REAL GET MOPAR!!

Ahhhhhh, man, thats why I like eating mushrooms!!!!!!!
I guess that just fell under the "No DUH!" classification.

I agree with you guys, I have a set of 302 casting heads and after reviewing the route in the mag I opted not to go with 2.02 valves. You could never get the runners big enough to take advantage of that size valve. it would be like having a straw and trying to blow air out of it with a large stud nail stuck in it, alot better with a finishing nail at the end of the rabbit hole, just makes more common sence, don't have to flow a head to see that. If they would have done that mutch port work on the magnum's they would have seen 425+, but sometimes you just have to use what you got.

I agree with you guys, I have a set of 302 casting heads and after reviewing the route in the mag I opted not to go with 2.02 valves. You could never get the runners big enough to take advantage of that size valve. it would be like having a straw and trying to blow air out of it with a large stud nail stuck in it, alot better with a finishing nail at the end of the rabbit hole, just makes more common sence, don't have to flow a head to see that. If they would have done that mutch port work on the magnum's they would have seen 425+, but sometimes you just have to use what you got.

Amen brother!

2.02's seem to work quite well in the magnum r/t.Its that matching thingie you mentioned,lol...

-
Back