Green bearings ?

-

mikedevore

Reaction score
If you install the Green bearings, do you have to remove the thrust piece in the differential?

I've been reading up about this myself recently, and the answer seems to be yes or you need to remove a 1/4" off the ends of your axles.

So what if one does not do that and tries to install the axles?? Would they go in or get stopped? I'm kinda gona be getting some green bearings soon so good to know. Why does it need to be removed?

I know a bunch of guys had to remove it. I have never had to remove it in any of the rears I have done

I do not know for sure ... but it has to do with number on center section ..... 489 , 741, 742 .... i asked this question awhile back when i installed my green brgs ( NOT 100% sure ) , but before 68/69 you have to i think ????? You will know when GENTLY torque flanges and cannot turn axles ?????

i know with the 742 case takes buttons in the diff, between the axles.. if you install the green bearing you eliminate the buttons...

This has been eating at me for awhile now, after hearing on here, that it must be removed. I put my greens in years ago, and it did`nt mention anything in instructions. But, when I went to install the R axel the retainer flange did`nt quite butt tight. IIRC, I had to draw it down about an 1/8". That always concerned me. And now the secret button is what probably held it out? Now I been driveing on these bearings for many years like this, seems ok, BUT one ocasion I was going down a steep hill and a turn left, and it felt like a flat tire wobble?, I get to a place to check tire. OK, check lugs,OK, go home and check rear Ubolts, OK. No play in anything? And has`nt done it since, Been a year atleast. I hope I have`nt damaged anything... I`ve allready ordered and recieved seals, have to get bearings yet, and go back to tapers. Unless someone can convince me that removeing the button is far more easy than swapping back to originals??? Me/OP inquireing minds need to know8)

This has been eating at me for awhile now, after hearing on here, that it must be removed... Unless someone can convince me that removeing the button is far more easy than swapping back to originals??? Me/OP inquireing minds need to know8)

Not that difficult to remove the thrust block (cone type Sure Grip) or the buttons (clutch type Sure Grip). But, you need a dial indicator to re-set the ring gear backlash. This is not difficult, but you need to read up on the procedure first, use a Factory Service Manual. I'm no expert mechanic but was fairly easily to accomplish.

To OP, yes you either remove the thrust block/buttons or ensure axles will fit if you leave them in. I would ask your axle manufacturer what they recommend. If they don't know what your talking about then go somewhere else to buy your axles.

I was contemplating this too, I just tore my 8 3/4 489 apart to dbl chk everything. Bearings looked good, so I am thinking about just re-sealing and buttoning her back up.

I put a B-body rear in my car. I did the green bearing conversion that I bought from Cass at Dr. Diff. I removed the thrust buttons from my 742 case 3:55 geared clutch type sure grip center section...That's all I did...it was easy to do...

-
Back