Green Tinted Glass 1964 DART GT

-
If it is on all the glass it was probably a factory AC car.

jysnflem I like that avatar. I don t think its a a/c car, the dash looks no different than normal. But I do have to say that its a factory 273 4 speed and has the 8 3/4 rear 391 sure-grip rear,fenderwell headers all the hiss off the neighbors parts hahahah It would be cool to know the # s on the green tinted glass thing

My Dart had a 273-2 barrel and AC when I bought it. The AC unit fit underneath the dash so there is nothing special about the dash on a AC car. Jayson

Tinted glass (windshield-only or all around) was available as an extra-cost option on '64 Darts. One didn't need to order A/C to get it.

jysnflem I like that avatar. I don t think its a a/c car, the dash looks no different than normal. But I do have to say that its a factory 273 4 speed and has the 8 3/4 rear 391 sure-grip rear,fenderwell headers all the hiss off the neighbors parts hahahah It would be cool to know the # s on the green tinted glass thing
If it's an A/C car there will be a couple of extra holes in the firewall for the evaporator hoses. If it has an 8 3/4 in it, it's been converted. They weren't available that year. Tinted glass was not a real common option that year. As mentioned, it was usually a factory A/C car that had them, but they were available independantly of any other option. You could also get an A/C car with clear glass if you wanted it that way.

Tinted glass (windshield-only or all around) was available as an extra-cost option on '64 Darts. One didn't need to order A/C to get it.

Dan, I knew you would know about the options. Would that option show up on the fender tag or would you need a build sheet?

If it's an A/C car there will be a couple of extra holes in the firewall for the evaporator hoses

Remember, '64 was the last year that under-dash non-integrated air conditioning was the only type available in the A-bodies. The dealer parts department could supply all the components needed to add the same system to a car not originally equipped that it would have had if equipped at the factory.

Would that option show up on the fender tag or would you need a build sheet?

I don't know. My knowledge of early fender tags is almost nil. There are experts on that subject, but I'm not one of them.

I didn't even know the factory offered different tint colors...

They didn't. It was green or nothing.

I don't have a 1964 Option Code book, I do have a 66-68 book and it list's
option #521 as Glass-Tinted all windows and #522 as Glass-Tinted windshield only. Interestingly enough there is a option #523 which is Glass-Clear all windows with Air Cond. From those options, I would say that AC cars automatically had tinted windows. Mike

Would that option show up on the fender tag or would you need a build sheet?

On the 65 AC with heater would show up on the fender tag as a "1" under the "E" on the 4th line from the bottom. Interestingly enough you could order AC w/o a heater in 65 and that code would show up as a"3" under the "E"! And of course it would show up ion the build sheet.

On the 65 AC with heater would show up on the fender tag as a "1" under the "E" on the 4th line from the bottom. Interestingly enough you could order AC w/o a heater in 65 and that code would show up as a"3" under the "E"! And of course it would show up ion the build sheet.

"A/C With Heater" = integral A/C.
"A/C Without Heater" = under-dash A/C

Well thanks for all the input guys! I have looked at the firewall and there is a couple of holes by the distributor on the driver side one above the other so I m guessing it is a a/c car and it did have green all around but the back window had to be replaced by a previous owner, bummer. I have no carpet(broadcast sheet),and its not under the seat, and I m further saddened that there s no glovebox!!! Oh well when I get all the parts I want to modify it I wont feel too sad about putting in a cage connecting the frames and having them come through the floorETC.

I don't think 65 dart had an integral option for AC. They were all under dash.

That being said there were probably many dealer AC add ons that will not be on the fender tag or the the broadcast sheet.

-
Back