Grinders blown apart 225

-
Reaction score
We swapped a big valve head ans headers onto his slant.
The head had at least .100 milled off 'I could tell by the amount of lash I had to take out to close the vaves' and well...no 6 departed from it brothers and started a new life on the side of hwy 15.
He called me up when it happened [20 min from barstow' I said stick a piece of cardboard or what ever along with a t shirt to hold it wedged between the starter so the oil don't splash/leak out as fast. He made it 200+miles before it finally seized completely.

not bad.

Photo 619.jpg

Photo 623.jpg

Photo 626.jpg

Photo 620.jpg

Photo 630.jpg

Photo 624.jpg

I was like 'hey , ya know how ya always hear those tossed rod but still drove 100 & some odd miles stories from old timers?, well now you have one to tell'.

Gotta love that slant six.

I had read some of that stuff over on SlantSix.Org :read2: about how high guys were revving /6s. That prompted the question "Has anyone ever grenaded one of these things and if so, how?" The most common was sticking the #5 out of bed. I came to the conclusion that oiling the next to the last main is a bit problematic. Still it's wild to run the engine with a hole in the block the size of a golf ball with no problems. If I were a betting man, I'd think that the engine would still be running if he had stuffed more oil in it.

I had read some of that stuff over on SlantSix.Org :read2: about how high guys were revving /6s. That prompted the question "Has anyone ever grenaded one of these things and if so, how?" The most common was sticking the #5 out of bed. I came to the conclusion that oiling the next to the last main is a bit problematic. Still it's wild to run the engine with a hole in the block the size of a golf ball with no problems. If I were a betting man, I'd think that the engine would still be running if he had stuffed more oil in it.

As a matter of fact I believe that it would still be running if I had more oil to put in it! I loaded up on as much oil as the gas station had,after 180 miles I finally put the ast 2 quarts(12 quarts total) in and she ran through them in about 30 miles when I heard the bearings squeel and the motor finally seized...still coasted about another mile before I shut her down.:-D

As a matter of fact I believe that it would still be running if I had more oil to put in it! I loaded up on as much oil as the gas station had,after 180 miles I finally put the ast 2 quarts(12 quarts total) in and she ran through them in about 30 miles when I heard the bearings squeel and the motor finally seized...still coasted about another mile before I shut her down.:-D

Shoulda used duct tape to seal up that hole :lol:

Look at us chatter back and forth about "how to get that grenaded motor to run a few HUNDRED more miles" HA HA HA

Been there......I put on some gloves, pushed the piston and what was left of the rod up in the cylinder and drove 25 miles before it seized...I wasn't smart enough to block the hole.. It was mid January and COLD. They are almost bullet proof.

Well said! LMAO

I worked on a 225 years and years ago with a bottom end noise .. we wanted to see how long it would take to completely grenade ... So we revved the snot out of it , it also let loose behind the starter ... must be weak point ...

If you could have wrapped some leather or rubber or something around the rod journal and been able to put a hose clamp on it it would have probably lasted much longer and kept from losing as much oil and oil pressure as well.

But either way, good job on getting it home and 200 miles like that is quite an accomplishment.

-
Back