Grinding, " diesel " noise under valve covers

-
And the noise, at the rocker covers and shafts, sounded like a Cummings! The sound from each plug area, were all the same sound. BUT NOT " that sound"

Could piston skirt coatings help quiet the OP's piston slap down, if that what it is?
I know it won't eliminate it but it could make it more livable.
The sound don't bother me... it the fact I could destroy something I worked my but off for, on both and ALL ends, ( meaning i bought parts,, had parts, bought more parts,, and worked to put em on,, in.. and it gets a Lil warm here in the outdoors) that I can't replace.....

Last edited:
So even tho the temp.ga, water temp says 180- 175, after a 30 min idle, the block and pistons haven't gotten the heat all the way through
Correct. It's never as hot as it can get until it's been driven. Stop and go. Stop and go.

Man, i.swear I could hear it 20 foot away, but after a while, it seemed less. Maybe part of what I'm hearing is rockers? They are tight! Some less than .002.
The noise in the video is not valve train. ......how many times have I said that now? LOL

The noise in the video is not valve train. ......how many times have I said that now? LOL
Ummm, at least twice? But probably 3...? Whoops. I must be making up excuses for the sound, to alleviate mental issues! Lol... OK. So I'll jack er up, throw some wood under till she's level in the front, torque em down, re check things, toe, and I still haven't cut the oil filter yet

Ummm, at least twice? But probably 3...? Whoops. I must be making up excuses for the sound, to alleviate mental issues! Lol... OK. So I'll jack er up, throw some wood under till she's level in the front, torque em down, re check things, toe, and I still haven't cut the oil filter yet
Let's tackle one issue at a time and not make up more. LOL Man I wish you were local. I'd come listen to it and probably put your fears to rest.

Let's tackle one issue at a time and not make up more. LOL Man I wish you were local. I'd come listen to it and probably put your fears to rest.
That Would be an Awesome Deal, and I'd gladly give you some free labor and gas money too! Should I do the bore scope thing? Or just concentrate on getting her back to rolling?

That Would be an Awesome Deal, and I'd gladly give you some free labor and gas money too! Should I do the bore scope thing? Or just concentrate on getting her back to rolling?
I would just get it back rolling first.

I would just get it back rolling first.
Yessir! I'm off tomorrow, so I'll get the front end up higher and level, and try to get as good as possible toe settings, then roll er up the gas station and back. Maybe even get er to the shop up the road fer an " alignment/ toe n go" grrrrr...Thank You Rob! Hope you and Kitty are Well!

criminy you can get that thing up to 220 right quick just put some cardboard in front of the rad
220? That thing never runs 220! Maybe once when she got slightly overheated... nailed it and tossed the belt. I have 2 on er now. Or just for testing purposes, you are sayin?

I don't think this is piston slap, beside not sounding like it at all, to me, the cadence is too fast. It sounds more like double crank speed. IDK, I can't recall ever having heard that before.
Can you hear it in the tailpipes or in the carb?

My 367 has a tiny bit of piston slap on cold mornings, and it don't in the least like that. It sounds sorta like a rotor hitting the towers inside the cap, but too much bass for that. But that's about the right speed I think. That would be half crankspeed times 8 ...........meh, too fast I think.

Last edited:
I don't think this is piston slap, beside not sounding like it at all, the cadence is too fast. It sounds more like double crank speed. IDK, I can't recall ever having heard that before.
Can you hear it in the tailpipes or in the carb?
No Sir. I mean, I have not stuck my ear on the pipes when it's running. But, ambient, no. It does not seem to come out of carb throat. But I've never used a stethoscope before, and do not know exact points to pull from....

220? That thing never runs 220! Maybe once when she got slightly overheated... nailed it and tossed the belt. I have 2 on er now. Or just for testing purposes, you are sayin?
Yeah yeah just for testing to see if the " piston slap" goes away. And you don't have to take it to 220; just pull the cardboard any time the sound changes, and let her cool.

the tailpipes are windows into the chambers. If the source is in there, it will come out the back. no stethoscope required.
It reminds me a lil of when I was using crankcase evacuators years ago.

Ok, with a stethoscope? And how/ where, do I listen? I'm not trying to be a pain, just wanna do it right and be thorough

I'm Paranoid... I do know this. And I forgot to mention earlier. The diesel sound was heard when she was cold, reflecting off the hood, so walking to the small shop I built, or in the house, it was louder than any other sound... could be acoustics... I dunno...it did seem quite after the idle, but there was still something there

Whoops... so just put my ear down to the pipes? It definitely isn't where I can hear it standing there. Or do I put my head on the pipes, while cold? No
.. wait,, that vibration would be all I felt... crap.

I'm Paranoid... I do know this. And I forgot to mention earlier. The diesel sound was heard when she was cold, reflecting off the hood, so walking to the small shop I built, or in the house, it was louder than any other sound... could be acoustics... I dunno...it did seem quite after the idle, but there was still something there
Anybody that says that doesn't sound like piston slap has never heard it. It's the same as when you have full floating pins with a tic too much clearance. Does the same thing. In fact, that's an old racer's trick. To run a little more clearance in the wristpins. The theory was it helps "unload" the pistons and allows them to "rock" a little in the bores and reduces a little friction. True? I don't know but I can tell you this. Some of the most serious engines I've ever heard run made that noise. A real HP engine is noisy. Solid lifters or hydraulics with a real fast rate of lift. Both make similar valve train noises. Bottom ends with loose HP clearances. Floating wristpins with lots of clearance. You ever heard a REAL Ford FE 427 High riser with the two backwards mounted Holleys? I have. I REAL one ORIGINAL. You'd think it was fixin to sling a rod but that bad boy was one hellish beast. A lot of these guys have never heard anything like that, don't know what it is and it shows. Yes sir. A REAL honest to goodness HP engine is not quiet in the least. It's like Don Garlits always said "Run um loose with lots of oil pressure" lol

Anybody that says that doesn't sound like piston slap has never heard it. It's the same as when you have full floating pins with a tic too much clearance. Does the same thing. In fact, that's an old racer's trick. To run a little more clearance in the wristpins. The theory was it helps "unload" the pistons and allows them to "rock" a little in the bores and reduces a little friction. True? I don't know but I can tell you this. Some of the most serious engines I've ever heard run made that noise. A real HP engine is noisy. Solid lifters or hydraulics with a real fast rate of lift. Both make similar valve train noises. Bottom ends with loose HP clearances. Floating wristpins with lots of clearance. You ever heard a REAL Ford FE 427 High riser with the two backwards mounted Holleys? I have. I REAL one ORIGINAL. You'd think it was fixin to sling a rod but that bad boy was one hellish beast. A lot of these guys have never heard anything like that, don't know what it is and it shows. Yes sir. A REAL honest to goodness HP engine is not quiet in the least. It's like Don Garlits always said "Run um loose with lots of oil pressure" lol
No, I haven't heard one of those bad boy Fords! That's a rare thing here! I think my Bro Doug would about sell the farm for one. But I'll ask him if he's ever heard one tomorrow. I have heard of swapping the pistons ( factory) bank to bank, gives noise, but wraps up quicker. Big Daddy Don's is next weekend....I'd love to hear and see one of those ol FoMoCo Rippers though! I was at Don's one year and a guy had a Hemi on Alky, w/ Hillborne .. had a spray bottle and primed all the stacks. I didn't hear no engine noise, but the ground shook and a could feel it in my chest! Lol I'll bet that didn't sound like the family mini van...

Last edited:
No, I haven't heard one of those bad boy Fords! That's a rare thing here! I think my Bro Doug would about sell the farm for one. But I'll ask him if he's ever heard one tomorrow. I have heard of swapping the pistons ( factory) bank to bank, gives noise, but wraps up quicker. Big Daddy Don's is next weekend....
Yeah well, they proved that a myth not long ago.

Anyway, I think you've run yourself crazy enough for a little while. I would move on to something else. Get the rest of the car ready and get it aligned and then drive it and see what it sounds like. And sure, you can get it up to temp without driving it, but it's not the same. I don't care how many forum gurus sign off sayin it is. It's not. Good luck!

-
Back