grinding/shaping AL? best method

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
AL clogs grinding wheels fast, aven my carbide burr is loaded up. What's trhe best way to work AL without loading up your cutter? I used wax on my cutter. it seemed to help. Oil? 35 grit flaper wheels? Just trimming some 3/4 tubing. Any way to dress that carbide oval cutter? Thanks.

Heat from the cutting is what cloges your carbide cutter. a nice mist of soapy water works real well. and not as messy to clean as oil.

There are special grinding wheels for Alum. They do not clog, they are made to wear down. (fairly fast) Might want to try one. Was worked great for me.

There are special burrs for aluminum that won't clog, you'll know them because they have very wide flutes. You'll see maybe 10 on one for aluminum versus 30 for Steel.

Bonus, they eat 10 times faster.

Also try slowing down your speed with regulator.....heat is your enemy

Cheers

I find that wood working tools work well on aluminum. Skill saw, router, and an angle grinder with a sanding disk is what I use the most.

As others have said, use a wide fluted burr, but the real secret is WD 40. Spray WD 40 on the piece you are working on and a little bit on the burr. Makes a mess, but helps keep it from loading up. You'll have to re-apply it periodically.

The alloy burrs I use have only 5 or 6 flutes, and a liberal coating of WD40 or the like, on the job helps keep them clear.

If you're ever going to weld it, do NOT spray it with WD-40!

once you get oil on it can you burn it clean with a torch?

single cut bur,and pearl abrasive fiber zerconia sanding disks on an angle grinder.use a cheap white candle to dress the sanding disk while its spinning.same concept as wd-40,but cuts faster with less contamination of the metal.

I've always thought that one should not use a grinding wheel for aluminum as the embedded particles can cause the wheel to fracture.

Dip the burr in tranny fluid let the excess drip off and go for it, it won't clog.

-
Back