Grooving lifter bores

-
First, thank all of you for your comments. I used the tool per the directions and grooved the bores on Saturday morning. The result is a groove from the bottom of each bore that extends about 1/2 way up. This does leave a slight raised area at the top of each bore, something that was easily removed with a brake cylinder hone and a little oil. The entire process took about 30 minutes.

I probably should have said earlier that I had decided to run a hydraulic flat tappet cam, not a solid, so EDM lifters weren't an option. The Crower "Cam Savers" would have been an alternative, but I don't intend to run a Crower cam and using tappets from manufacturer A on manufacturer B's cam will only lead to finger pointing if any problems arise.
The Comp grooving tool (I paid $175 from Jegs), is an investment, because I can use it on other builds in the future. Based on my research, the grooved bores should provide additional oil to the lifter/lobe interface without a noticeable drop in oil pressure. I'm still several months away from running this engine and will start a thread on it when I get closer to beginning the build on my Duster.

It will work well. It's a good modification.

-
Back