Guage conversions

-

RobbAdams

Reaction score
I saw some pictures on here a while back where someone converted to newer type guages in their 66 cuda dash. The install looked quite nice.

Any information would be appreciated. I think I saved a picture somewhere I will se if I can find it.

Found the Pic, I should have taken som info when I saved it.

Cool guages.jpg

Ok I guess I am not asking my question right, Anyone know what size of guages I would need to fit the stock openings as these appear to.

I assume this person shaved down the bezels on the two large openings to get the guages to sit flat.

Did they just remove the whole Cluster and just keep the grey dash part?

Did They use the old wiring, or re-wire everything through the firewall?

I did some more research, and this pic was at the bottom of a post by FSTFISH66. I do not know if this is his handywork or not.

I think it's easiest to start with a new sheet of Al or steel, that way you can keep your old dash/instruments.
You always have to rewire because you have to use a new sender unit.

Would love to do the same to my Valiant, it looks awesome.

yes thats my dash,, i did all the work,,not to hard,,its been a while but ill tell you what i remember ask and ill try to remember,,or ill go look under the dash,,,
the only thing orignal is the dash face,,the circuit board is completely gone,,

the smaler gauges were not on the market when i started this dash,, i called auto meter and asked what it would cost for a custom size,,,they told me the size i needed was soon on the way,,,,the small gauges are 2 1/16 round,the center 2 are 5 inches round,,,

to instal the smaller gauges,,all i had to do was use a drum sanding paper,,round piece of sand paper on a mandrel,,i didnt have to remove to much plastic,,,i sanded and checked,,sanded and checked,,those smal gauges just push in,,,nice snug fit,,they come with a metal bracket and a rubber band type piece,,i put the rubber band gromet on the back of the gauge after it was installed just to keep it from moving,,remember they fit snug,,so no fear of them faling out,,,

the 2 center gauges are a different story,, if you take your front dash bezel off and remove the plastic factory gauge cover,,,on the inside of the hole it is painted black,,looking from the back of the dah bezel,,i cut out that black part with an exacto knife and snaded it till the big gague went thru,,,on these 2 gauges i used the metal mounting bracket supplied with the gauge,,to hold them in to the bezel,,,all new wiring to the gauges,,i do have another dash bezel ready to go,,when i get reay to have it refinished,,,so i dont have to remove the one im using,, i could take pics of it and post or e mail to you if you would like to see,,
thanks for noticing and for your intrest,, feel free to e mail me if u have questions [email protected] thanks don

What type of guages are they, and what sizes, I really like the way it looks!

Think I will start bidding on cheap bezels on e-bag!

they are auto meter,,,the 4 small gauges are 2 1/16 inch round
the 2 center big gauges are 5 inch round
auto meter ultra lite is the model,,silver faced

thanks for all the kind works,,, i did this a while back when every one was cutting there dah up and using sheet metal,,,most werent finished nicely,,and it looked like a roundy round stock car thrown together type of thing,,
so i decided to try to make the orignal dah face work,,and now it seems this style has caught on,,,

-
Back