Guages

-

pyrojim

Reaction score
This may sound dumb, but here goes.
I'm getting ready to assemble the dash, and the gauges look great except the needles. The orange paint is fading. Can I get fluorescent orange model paint and repaint them?
Thanks.
Jim

This what I always do when I restore gauge clusters. They look great afterward! Pick a super bright day glow orange.

As long as we're on the subject of instrument clusters, I noticed a couple of these pins were loose when I was cleaning the printed circuit. Not to the point of falling out, but they do turn. Should I worry about that or is it ok? Should I find an electronics guy and have them soldered???
Thanks.
Jim

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 225
Yes, have them soldered. A little bit of flux and a dab of electronic type solder (no-acid) and this circuit board will remain reliable for years to come.

So I made the BIG mistake.
I took the cluster apart and took the printed circuit board to the electronics guy. Stopped at the hobby store, got some day glo orange paint and a couple brushes.
Here's the mistake, after getting into the vodka I decided to paint the needles in the gauges. They turned out fine but I never marked the gauges and I moved things around. I think the are as follows.
Left, temp.
center, fuel.
Right, Alt.
Sound about right?
Thanks.
Jim

Attachments

• guages.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 149
The center one is definitely for temperature. The one with the needle in the center is the ammeter and the other one with the needle to one side is the fuel gauge.

The center one is definitely for temperature. The one with the needle in the center is the ammeter and the other one with the needle to one side is the fuel gauge.
I have a cardinal rule not to get in the sauce when I'm working on stuff!!!
Thanks!!

Look at the front scales. Physically, they will only fit "one way."

So I made the BIG mistake.
I took the cluster apart and took the printed circuit board to the electronics guy. Stopped at the hobby store, got some day glo orange paint and a couple brushes.
Here's the mistake, after getting into the vodka I decided to paint the needles in the gauges. They turned out fine but I never marked the gauges and I moved things around. I think the are as follows.
Left, temp.
center, fuel.
Right, Alt.
Sound about right?
Thanks.
Jim

Damn potato juice anyhow hey Jim?

-
Back