Guess my 273 hp

-
I kinda suspected the orange box. This is my first time running electronic ignition. I ran points with all my other small blocks and they would max my old tach.

My old points distributor had a lot of slop to it so i swaped to the electronic.I may keep the electronic ignition I'll just read up on the chrome box and see if its worthwhile.

Electronic Ignition is nice. I've had a Chrome box for about 30 plus years, performed better than a MSD5c box, I have not really looked any further...

My orange box has seen 8000+rpm. I have been shifting at 7200 for 14 years/125000 miles. I use the Accel Supercoil. Anybody remember what the 275hp commando ran for a cam? My 360-S goes 93 in the 1/8th at 3600#. I cant figure out why so many guys fault that box. Oh and my guess is 255 to 275chp with iron ex manifolds, and that 235* cam. And I agree shes real purty. If you intend to limit your dist to 10* advance, does that mean that you intend to run 22 to 26 initial? Seems excessive to me. And if it were me, I would definitely run the vacuum advance. I bring 20 to 22* vacuum in on mine in for cruising, for a total at of 56* at 3200rpm. Hey, I have proved that it works. Mpg peaked at 60*, and around town, its so much more fun to drive. I really like the looks of that TR. Yummy

The reason I went with the smallish cam was I didn't want to over cam This little motor. Similar cam was used in a 260 Ford motor with a t-ram and made 350hp. Headers are the next addition to my motor. Going 1-3/4 w/ 3" collector. I'm looking at a cam change because of my gear change also but need to see what my not yet ported 302 heads will flow. I'm running 920 heads now.

Oh and the timing running so much initial with only 10* mechanical advance is what most tunnel ram motors seem to like from my research.

Would it be ok if I borrowed this thread and asked for a guess on my combo? I dont want to hijack your thread of course, only if it's ok.

Your more than welcome to. Can't say no to a sweet ride. Your combo is a good one for a 273.

Thanks :) Here we go then. What do you all estimate this can deliver in HP?

273 Commando - 1965
Heads have been gasket matched.
Comp Cams Magnum 282S - 282/282 Lift 495/495 (solid)
Beehive Springs
Edelbrock D4B intake
Holley 670 Street Avenger
Pertronix Ignitor & Flame Thrower coil
Hooker Headers
2.5" Dual Exhaust / Super 44 Flowmaster

The rest is just more info on the whole ride
8 3/4 - 3.55 - SureGrip
727 auto / Shift Kit
10" 3000 stall converter
B&M Quicksilver Shifter
Hoosier Quick Time Pro D.O.T 26.0 x 9.50-14

Got stuff for building headers. I went with 1-3/4 long tube header kit w/3" collectors, and a Doug's header flanges. It's gonna be fun trying to tackle the driverside! I'mm gonna have to do a collector extension with a 45° bend and one tube with a slip fit connection and a cut flange to help minimize easy of installation. 302 heads coming

Bump for Trevor75 and my guess on hp would be

285HP 340TQ

One good sounding little motor

Got stuff for building headers. I went with 1-3/4 long tube header kit w/3" collectors, and a Doug's header flanges. It's gonna be fun trying to tackle the driverside! I'mm gonna have to do a collector extension with a 45° bend and one tube with a slip fit connection and a cut flange to help minimize easy of installation. 302 heads coming

Bump for Trevor75 and my guess on hp would be

285HP 340TQ

One good sounding little motor
where did you get the heads?

My guess for Trevor 75 is 300-325 hp depending on CR.
Stock 273/318 heads seem to only flow enough for around 325 hp with reasonable cam and compression.

As for Prostocker273 engine the estimates or low 200 hp seem to be way off to me since a stock commando engine is around there. Add his head work, carburetion and cam got to be close to 300hp, manifolds is the only killer on that engine which seem to support 300hp fairly well. Headers would probably add 50hp.

My guess for Trevor 75 is 300-325 hp depending on CR.
Stock 273/318 heads seem to only flow enough for around 325 hp with reasonable cam and compression.

Thanks for the estimate, always fun :)

Well the 302 heads I was getting from my buddy turned out to be 308 heads so I gotta check to make sure the valves will clear the cylinder walls. I know the heads I got have the 1.88 installed but no to sets are the same. Hope these heads will be a step into a better HP result but gonna have to cut the heads to get my compression back up. Man these 308s pushrod pinch looks so narrow.

-
Back