Guess this part...

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
OK... as some of you guys know I like to scratch-build odds-n-ends for my car, which is part of the reason for the forever assembly time frame.... I needed to mount something and this is what I came up with.

Guess it's purpose?
SANY0005-vi.jpg

Those are 5/8" rubber isolators with 1/4"-20 studs mounted to the bottom.

SANY0006-vi.jpg

That ugly scratch on top looks worst in the pictures than it actually is, and besides, once everything is installed, you don't see it. It's amazing how it shows up larger than life in the picture.

If you guess it correctly, you will be rewarded with a warm, satisfied sensation that no one will notice. Like wetting yourself wearing a dark suit...

Game on.

Ok...Ok... maybe it was too easy. But at least I get to show everyone how I spend my lunch hours.

This all started with me buying a set of rubber isolators without checking the stud size. When I got them home and realized they wouldn't fit through the mounting holes in the MSD box I had to improvise. The correct mounts cost about $15 through JEGS... I paid $7 for these. If I buy the right ones, I'm now into this for $22 for $15 worth of material. Not good. At work I have access to a few sheets of aluminum and I have spare time during lunch. Not to mention I left the holes in the passenger side fender well for the box. I'm commited now....so I made some templetes and started cutting metal and bending it. I designed it so not only is the box rubber mounted, but it's raised up and isolated from excess heat. And I can still use the exsisting holes I have.

SANY0001-vi.jpg

SANY0002-vi.jpg

SANY0004-vi.jpg

SANY0003-vi.jpg

Wait until I post the other mount I fabbed up for the fuel pump.... Overkill engineering for sure, but it makes a statement on my lack of mental stability. And how obsessed I am with this %$#@#$% car....

ok,if you like making stuff so much,how about making me a cross ram for my smallblock out of sheet aluminum,like the eddy str12? or what ever its called.

ok,if you like making stuff so much,how about making me a cross ram for my smallblock out of sheet aluminum,like the eddy str12? or what ever its called.

Funny you should mention that....

One of my co-workers is thinking about buying a TIG welder so he can do just that, make manifolds. He figures if he does it at work on the Bosses dime for the electricity... he could make a buck. His kink are Mazda Rotary's, and blindingly fast ones I hear.

I was planning on helping him alot if he does step up and buy one.

Heck !! I thought it was a parachute mount that you could take to work and fold the shute up your self.

Dude, that is cool. I like that alot. Good use of the grey matter.

Nice job Fastback! Do you have a SM brake at work or did you do the vise thing?

Nice job Fastback! Do you have a SM brake at work or did you do the vise thing?

Thank you for the compliments guys! The fuel pump mount looks like you could tow the car with it. I'll post those pictures later this week. I still have a few revisions I have to do.

As for fabrication of the MSD mount, I used a cut-off wheel to trim the aluminum to rough size and hand filed the edges flat with rounded corners with a rasp, then polished the edges with some emory and a rubber block to keep it smooth and level. I used 2 blocks of wood, a bench vise, and a rubber mallet to crease it. The stands were a little time consuming since I had to use the same spacing to mount it as the holes I had left in the fender well, which were the same size as the MSD unit. IF I make more I'll streamline the design a bit and modify it so the rubber mounts are spaced differently and have the MSD unit mount directly to the aluminum.

Let me see.... winter months ahead. Slow season... lotsa spare time at work. We'll see.... :-k

-
Back