Guess what this is for, weird tool

-
This one should be fairly easy...

17B92E88-778A-4974-97CB-15F29CFBC967.jpeg

Not sure if you would call this an "automotive" tool but I've used them hundreds of times building cars, fixing engines and working on the car body. I know that my friends who have never seen them are amazed when I whoop them out and show how they help in a difficult situation:

DSC08180.JPG

Not sure if you would call this an "automotive" tool but I've used them hundreds of times building cars, fixing engines and working on the car body. I know that my friends who have never seen them are amazed when I whoop them out and show how they help in a difficult situation:

View attachment 1715455153
Thems are bullets. lol. Just look like center punches but have know idea why you would need so many different sized center punches. Maybe the dead end of a lathe?

Thems are bullets. lol. Just look like center punches but have know idea why you would need so many different sized center punches. Maybe the dead end of a lathe?
The fact that they come in different sizes is a "clue"!!!

It's gonna be a great day!! I was complimented and cut down by RRR all in one morning!!! Going to buy a lottery ticket!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thankyou:

You just remember me when you win. Whippersnapper.

View attachment 1715455127 Not old tools but most people never see these.
This is a great site Can't wait to see everyone's odd tools.
Fred, I totally know what these are....:thumbsup:

Spoons for paintless dent removal.

@trebling Those are hole transfer punches. you line up a drilled panel to a non drilled panel and put these in your hole and then tap them, makes a center for your drill on the non drilled panel so the hole will line up.

You want to see some funky tools, look at the specialty tools for a Mitsubishi motor. all kinds of strange stops, wrenches, clamps, jigs...so many that it seems they are terrible engineers or there are so many seperately designed modular parts that need to fit together that they had to invent ways to fasten them together.

I had something like this rolling around in the bottom of a tool box for ever, never used it, didnt really know what it was for, turned out to be proprietary for my very first car 36 years ago
7204.jpg

Last edited:
Well... I guess we are back to center punches.
Yes and no.....they are actually "transfer punches". When you have a hole in a bracket or piece of metal (or wood) and you need to accurately locate the hole in the metal that the bracket will be installed onto you use these punches to transfer the hole from the bracket to the other piece of metal. So you hold the piece that has the hole against another piece of metal then you use the correct size transfer punch to punch a mark where you will drill the new hole. That's why they come in every size so that they fit snug in the hole and transfer the location accurately. These punches "transfer" the hole location to another piece of metal very accurately. If you've ever tried to hold a heavy piece of metal against another to locate the new hole you can see how they make the job a lot easier. I've used them transferring hole locations on body panels, custom brackets, installing custom heater brackets under the dash and for numerous other things that require a hole that has to be specifically placed with reference to another part. They used to be expensive but now you can get them cheap at HF!!

-
Back