Guessing brake size

-

WildCat

Reaction score
Got a message from a buddy about the brakes on his 67 barracuda with a 7 1/4 rear and factory v8 auto car

He hasn't pulled the wheels to measure them but ask what I thought.

Been a long time since I had car like his, but my 1st car was about the exact same as the one he is working on

I told him it would have 9" or 10" drums but without removing the wheel wouldn't know for sure.

So there are so many knowledgeable people here, what would you guess on a factory 7 1/4 rear end 9"? My 67 dart had 9" all the way around but it was a 6 cyl. Car

10" X 2-1/4" front.
10" X 1-3/4" rear.
if factory 67 V-8.

Everyone hopes for the bigger size but is usually disappointed when they find out its smaller
:toothy7:

I agree with everything said. What may fake you out is that local parts stores may only show 9" drums for the rear. This happened to me about a year ago when I went to Napa looking for rear drums for my 67 Barracuda with a V8.

Close to 50 years, parts could have been swapped out at any time.

It takes about 15-20 minutes to check one side & measure it.

I told him it would have 9" or 10" drums but without removing the wheel wouldn't know for sure.
Not true for the fronts. The 9" & 10" drum spindles look totally different. Just peek under and compare to Google Images. The 9" has a curved goose-neck that comes in from the fwd or aft side (forgot which).

The disk spindle is also different, but of course you would see the rotor anyway. I would expect that all front disk cars had 10" rear drums.

-
Back