Guide to Poverty Cap Applications

-

Powerflite

Reaction score
I've spent quite a bit of time figuring out all the different applications for mopar poverty caps and creating a pictorial guide for the purpose of helping others figure out which cap their particular car would have come with from the factory. There could be errors in this, so please inform me of any, if you have proof, and I will correct it.
Thanks! Nathan

66-74 Mopar Dog Dish.jpg

62-65 Mopar Poverty Caps.jpg

Chrysler-DeSoto Dog Dish.jpg

Dodge Dog Dishes.jpg

Plymouth Dog Dish Caps.jpg

Thanks for doing this. It will help. If knowledgeable folks share info. So here’s my contribution. I’m a B-body person for 35 years.

Let’s talk about the differences between 1967 and 1968 b-body wheels. The 67 takes a 10” cap, the 68 takes a 9” cap.

So on the top line of the first photos the second cap is 68 Plymouth only 9”, the fourth cap is 67 Plymouth only 10”. The third cap looks just like a 65-67 dodge cap but has a Plymouth type logo. I have not seen them on cars is old photos, or brochures, and I’ve only seen a few for sale ever.

In your 62-65 mopar photo the bottom right corner cap is 65-67 coronets 10”. So it won’t go on a 68 wheel.

Great stuff....but it should be put in the "How To Articles" so it doesn't get lost and so that FABO members can easily refer to it when needed!!:thumbsup::steering::steering:

...The 67 takes a 10” cap, the 68 takes a 9” cap.

Thanks, do you have some proof that this is true for '68 Plymouth B-bodies? It could be that the wheel you are referring to was used on the deep dish C-bodies in '68. I can understand a few B-bodies, here and there, that might have used a deep dish wheel, but not all of them as you are saying. The year range that I put there comes directly from the parts catalog with the associated part number, that you can check out. I know that the catalog sometimes has errors, but you've got to back up what you say with some kind of proof as there are many misconceptions out there.

The top row, 2nd from left (under ‘66) came on my ‘69 Barracuda. Not saying that’s proof, as I haven’t owned it since new, but pretty sure they’re original.
upload_2022-2-27_22-12-26.jpeg

Last edited:
1967 Dodge Truck 10” Hubcap (off of a 67 A100)

915F4B44-A49C-4293-AA1B-44E0A39C4F76.jpeg

2823001, 67-68 Plymouth A.

My understanding is that cap technically was not available on the 67 A.
I can't provide proof as I can't find it listed as available.
In a parts catalog I'm sure it's listed as fitting a 67 or correct for a 67, but 67 was an oddball year.

I honestly don't know if it was available in 67 on the A. I know I have them on my 67 because they look great, but so many have told me they're 'not correct.'

Do future parts catalogs backfill into prior models?

Great stuff....but it should be put in the "How To Articles" so it doesn't get lost and so that FABO members can easily refer to it when needed!!:thumbsup::steering::steering:
May be a sticky.

I’m glad you’re putting this list of hubcaps here on FABO. It’s helpful to see all of the different styles and models of hubcaps used by Mopar thru the years along with the numbers. I never knew there were so many, especially all the different variations of similar hubcaps.

Thanks for doing this Nathan. Nice to see a guide on these. I have 67 Plymouth cuda covers I can post also.

The redline dodge caps....only 1969 was stainless steel...1970-up were aluminum, hope this helps

I have a set of those " unknown export " caps and thought they were for 66 or 67 15" wheels ?

2823001, 67-68 Plymouth A.

My understanding is that cap technically was not available on the 67 A.
I can't provide proof as I can't find it listed as available.
In a parts catalog I'm sure it's listed as fitting a 67 or correct for a 67, but 67 was an oddball year.

I honestly don't know if it was available in 67 on the A. I know I have them on my 67 because they look great, but so many have told me they're 'not correct.'

Do future parts catalogs backfill into prior models?
You probably can't find reference to it as it was probably "standard", all other were optional.

Alan

12many: Thanks for the truck cap picture. I'm am working on a truck version, starting with '55-'61, but it's a lot harder than the car versions. Not sure when or if I can get it done.

Matthon: It's possible that the early '67 Plymouth A-bodies might have used the '66 wide C-body cap before the '67-'68 small cap became available for use. But I have 0 proof of this as it isn't listed there. The only reason I suggest this as a possibility is that there seems to be a lot more of those '66 wide C-body caps around than if it really just was used on one year, with extra deep-dish wheels. If that were the case, they would be very rare and difficult to find, but it seems they are easier to find than the '66-'68 Dodge deep dish versions, so that lends some credibility to that theory.

mbaird: Someone on B-bodies Only confirmed that those export caps came standard on '68 Plymouth B-bodies sold in Canada. I suspect that they are export replacements for the large Plymouth caps to their right, probably used in the same year range '67-'68.

I’ve got an oddball question for you poverty caps gurus: has anyone heard of or given thought to an adapter ring of some sort that would fit on the 9” cap rims, that you could then install 10” caps on??

I’ve got an oddball question for you poverty caps gurus: has anyone heard of or given thought to an adapter ring of some sort that would fit on the 9” cap rims, that you could then install 10” caps on??

I have made an adapter and it works really well and is very easy to do. Just purchase some 1/2" outer diameter spacers from McMaster and weld them onto the small cap wheel nubs. All of the large caps will then work on it, except for the "Late '56 Dodge" caps, which are even larger for some reason.
Nub Adapters.jpg

Front-Gold Knight.jpg

LRCoronet.jpg

Last edited:
Are you kidding me!
I was thinking the same caps for my 58 Coronet.

You probably can't find reference to it as it was probably "standard", all other were optional.
I found full caps listed as (std. on Fastback) and no mention of any other cap for 67.
Does std. mean standard?
Did the Barracuda get full covers, and A body dog dish?

20220228_161428.jpg

I found full caps listed as (std. on Fastback) and no mention of any other cap for 67.
Does std. mean standard?
Did the Barracuda get full covers, and A body dog dish?

View attachment 1715879359
Exactly, it is Extra on the Barracuda, standard on the fastback.
That is a list of Options
That being said, the dog dish would be standard.

Alan

-
Back