Guitar/music question...

-

Dartthunder340

Reaction score
I would like to find something that I can plug my guitar, pedal board, amp, and mic into, run it into a couple pairs of headphones and play along with cd’s, YouTube stuff, and files that the worship team sends to practice with. I would say an old four track or? It seems more people are using computers with whatever software to do this with. I’d like to keep it fairly simple and semi portable. Any recommendations? I’m way out of date with this stuff, so thanks for any help.

IIRC a "DI box" is what you want for your guitar to plug into a mixer board. I just bought my son an old RS mixer board and a DI box is what it needs to tie in a guitar as the pickup is not the same line level as a "line in" or mic in.
1267447640_678880.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Didn't Tom Schultz from Boston design and build something like that?

You can make a box with a 1/4 input, 1/4 or 3.5mm jack for headphones on the out and a three collar 3.5mm for a video camera. The third contact on the 3.5mm accesses the microphone. I made one a few years back, but radio shack was still everywhere. I’ll take pics later

Maybe something like a Tascam Portastudio? I remember my brother used rack mount Syncasets in his band days.

I have a old Boss practice amp I use, it's made for headphones and it clips on your side, it has built in effects and can also be used as a effects box, its similar to the Rockman Tom Schultz desighned, I had a Rockman several years ago and sold it, wish I still had it, I like the unique flange sound it had.

Tascam Portastudio! I couldn’t remember that name, thanks Dave69, I’ll look into those.

I have the Tascam portastudio, and it does exactly what you’d like to do. It also burns its own CD’s, records and masters songs, downloads CD’s for playback, and uses SIM cards for transferring to other SIM card machines. Ut was $250 when I bought it

I would like to find something that I can plug my guitar, pedal board, amp, and mic into, run it into a couple pairs of headphones and play along with cd’s, YouTube stuff, and files that the worship team sends to practice with.

no offence, but I had never pictured you as a church going person, what with eddie in your avatar and all

FWIW, Iron Maiden's drummer is a devout born again.....

I've had a few cheap lite practice amps that fit the bill...a Pignose, Danelectro and a couple no name plastic jobs with belt clips.

I used to carry a guitar with me but my new KW bunk is much too small to being along any extra stuff.

I've had a few cheap lite practice amps that fit the bill...a Pignose, Danelectro and a couple no name plastic jobs with belt clips.

I used to carry a guitar with me but my new KW bunk is much too small to being along any extra stuff.
Time for a ukelele

I've picked up a couple cheap Fender 15w practice amps that have RCA inputs for a CD player (or really MP3, phone, anything).

I got them so guests could jam with if they were so inclined.

They are likely the kind that comes in the $150 starter set with a guitar, bag, pics, etc.

They sound pretty good, and the most I've paid is $25.

I've not used the RCA input and I don't know how you control the mix.

I got my son a Katana50 amp, it has tons of capability as well. It can download songs, sounds and such. He shifts through the gears of all that with ease, I have no clue what he’s doing. Oh, it’s a great sounding amp too, and comes in a 110w models as well.

I remember when everyone wanted one of those Galen-Kruegers.

I'm more of a Marshall guy, but lately I've been liking those Fenders.

I had a real nice roland jass chorus 2x12 amp from the early 70's, I loved that amp, Eddie Montgomery of Montgomery Gentry has it in his home studio now, I sold it to pyramid music in Danville Ky. To buy me another American Strat, and missed it, went to buy it back and Eddie had bought it, him and T-Roy shopped there alot, about broke my heart when T-Roy got killed.

Lol, I'm guessing my amp is a little behind the times...
View attachment 1715412684

Nothing wrong with that. As a matter of fact, old amps usually sound better than the newer ones, and for us old dogs that’s what we want. Kids want to be able to shift gears quickly, and that Katana amp is fully programmable and foot switchable, opening up a whole lot of possibilities. Of course, this old dog would take years to learn everything it can do, so I just stick with my old stuff too.

-
Back