Gun purchasing advice (Seriously)

-

MVRCorp

Reaction score
I never was much of a gun guy but I am seriously debating getting one. Of course I intend to take the necessary courses and training. I just wanted to get some advice from the many members here that I have come to respect over the years. I would be using it for my own personal protection. Years ago I had some experience with a .32 and some fun with an AR but that was decades ago.
So what do you guys think I should start out with?

Jim

what kind of gun are you talking about handgun, rifle, shotgun.what are your intentions are you wanting something for home defense, to carry for personal protection, or for hunting?

what kind of gun are you talking about handgun, rifle, shotgun.what are your intentions are you wanting something for home defense, to carry for personal protection, or for hunting?

Home defense and personal protection. I would think a hand gun. I can't see trying to swing a shot gun or rifle around in the confinements of a hall or room in case of a home intrusion.

I would go to a local shooting range and rent or borrow several different ones and try them out. That way you get a real feel for the weapon and will get one that you are comfortable with.

for home defence in my opinion and everybody has a different opinion but the best gun for home defence is a 12 gauge pump shotgun. as for swinging around a long gun shotgun. barrels vary in length from 18"to well over 30".the 18" barrel ones are great to have around the house not too long. load it with 4 00 buckshot then slug then 4 00 buckshot then slug.the 4 00 buckshot has 24 pellets if memory is correct if you have to shoot somone in the middle of the nite you more likely to hit them with one of those pellet rather than one bullet at a time from handgun.

If you need protection ? I would get a 22cal pistol and practice safety 1st and move on to proper loading and target shooting. once you get comfortable with that gun.you could move up to (my choice CCW ) springfield XD40 or any doubleaction revolver. for in home defence, nothing beats a 12 gauge pump or semiauto shotgun.
that's my opinion. good luck!

In the dark everyone is scared of a shotguns sound when you rack it. I have a 12 gauge and a 9mm beside my bed. I live in a pretty safe area. But I like to have a little protection. But like someone already said. I would go to a shooting range and rent their guns and see what you feel good with. Not every gun is made for everyone.

for home defence in my opinion and everybody has a different opinion but the best gun for home defence is a 12 gauge pump shotgun. as for swinging around a long gun shotgun. barrels vary in length from 18"to well over 30".the 18" barrel ones are great to have around the house not too long. load it with 4 00 buckshot then slug then 4 00 buckshot then slug.the 4 00 buckshot has 24 pellets if memory is correct if you have to shoot somone in the middle of the nite you more likely to hit them with one of those pellet rather than one bullet at a time from handgun.
12 Gauge for home defense is a great idea. There is one by the side of our bed at night. Not much in the way of aiming is necessary so in the event of something bad happening it is a bit easier to hit the target. I like Mossbergs, I have one of these . For concealed carry the sky is the limit. I carry a Kahr Pm 40 , small enough to carry in the pocket of a pair of jeans. Bit of a handful due to its size. I am a real big fan of the Springfield XD/XDm line. If they don't have something to suit you you probably will not find anything that does. Good luck.....

Colt ar-15 for range or a M4 for home defense. Or you can get an acr which can fold down smaller then the m4 but can also swap out the barrel to fire the 6.2 or 6.8 (which I can't remember).

If you need protection ? I would get a 22cal pistol and practice safety 1st and move on to proper loading and target shooting. once you get comfortable with that gun.you could move up to (my choice CCW ) springfield XD40 or any doubleaction revolver. for in home defence, nothing beats a 12 gauge pump or semiauto shotgun.
that's my opinion. good luck!

Fishmens67 is right on the money. I own and shoot many pistols, but the one that I plink around with the most is a GSG 1911 in .22 cal. http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1ATGSG1911
You can shoot all day for cheap and helps you develop muscle memory, is super cheap and will help get rid of the flinch which is associated with bigger calibers. It's just like the .45 cal version just chambered for a .22 after you get used to this then you could step up to a 1911 in 45 cal

For home defense I'm another proponent of th 12 gauge pump. The sound of clambering a round is unmistakable. If that doesn't cause an intruder to either scram or start begging for forgiveness they are serious about harming you or yours. The shotgun will make a knockdown hit easier to effect. The advice about trying several different weapons before purchase is very good. If you go with a handgun keep in mind that you will want a caliber that will truly stop an intruder. Small bullet mass has the potential to just aggrevate a drugged up bad guy. If the gun is truly for defense make sure you go large enough that even if you don't get accurate bullet placement that bad guy will be stopped!

A few good handguns that can be used for CCW, home defense , and regular range use would be in my opinion

Glock 19,23,26,27
Smith & Wesson M&P 9c, 40c, or 45c
Ruger SR9c or SR40c
Springfield XD compacts

A handgun big enough to have stopping power is great but you also then run the risk of a missed shot going through either an interior or exterior wall and possibly injuring or killing a loved one or neighbor. With a 12-guage pump you're going to reduce the chance of that happening - and like said before, the sound alone of cycling a round in a 12-guage should be enough to stop the bad guy in his tracks.

Good advice. For personal carry, you will likely want small and light. I favor a small revolver like this.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/58567

This option is very reasonable for double duty in home defense. If its not compact enough for you there's a host of compact semi-autos to choose from but these are not ideal for home defence.

An inexpensive shotgun is hard to beat. Less penetration danger than a rifle, reliable, easy to hit the target.

The price of an AR has gone out of sight. Would not be my choice anyway.

I love guns and respect them, but if they take them, whats going to happen to the, poor , misguided rapist, **** eating home invader, when my three viscous dogs get them? Oh? Wait, How bout an Axe Handle wrapped w/ Duct Tape and a bunch of 12 penny ring shank nails put in it? Quiet Death....... except for my dogs lapping the commie thieves blood.......Still would rather just kill them on sight. Don't wanna violate their (sic puke) rights:finga:

If you truly suspect someone's in your home, you should hole up, call the police and arm yourself, generally in that order as time allows. :) The best defensive weapons in that situation are a rifle or shotgun, without question. AR-15 or 12-gauge shotgun---pump-actions will work but I prefer semi-autos and I'll explain why later---with buckshot is probably your best option.

If you insist on clearing your house yourself...Reconsider. The last thing you want to do is get blind-sided by someone. If you still insist...Well, it's your ***. :) Some people still like rifles and shotguns for clearing rooms, and I agree...I'd suggest having your rifle or shotgun on a sling, for the simple reason that it's a lot harder to have your rifle or shotgun taken away from you and used on you when it's tied around you. You *can* use a pistol, obviously, but I'd try to avoid the "clearing rooms" plan of defense unless you've trained for it...In which case you'll also want to practice light-handling, use of cover, etc.

Other things to consider: guns are *loud as hell* indoors. We both have digital ear protection in the bedroom in case we end up holing up and arming ourselves while waiting for the police...During the following crap-storm that will happen, even after a *justified* shooting I'd rather not be recovering from hearing loss as well. Have a phone in your room as well, and one you can put on speaker is preferable.

It's a good idea to have a light on your firearm, and even more so if you insist on clearing rooms. A laser sight? Eh...One thing you have to worry about in a potential home-defense situation is shooting the wrong person, and it's easier to do with a laser cause you just see the dot...No real illumination of the rest of the target.

Finally, have a plan. Make sure everyone knows it. We have a few of them here, depending on who's home and such. Make sure everyone knows where the defensive firearms are. Make sure everyone knows where the defensive firearms they are most comfortable using are. Make sure everyone knows how to use them. :) Make sure your hearing protection's batteries are good. Make sure your weapon lights work.

Pump-action shotguns: I have one for home defense, but I train with it. Until and unless it's muscle memory for you to cycle the action and fire, a semi-auto shotgun is a better option, IMHO. Yes, they're more finicky on ammo, but if you pick a semi-auto shotgun and run the same defensive ammo through it, set it up for that ammo and don't mess with it. :)

If you go with a pistol, don't buy in to the caliber myths. 9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP...Any of the common center-fire pistol rounds will be effective if you hit someone in the right place with them. My Glocks are chambered in .40S&W, mostly cause I got good deals on the pistols...If I had it to do over, they'd probably be in 9mm. The extra mag capacity of 9mm is, IMHO, a bigger asset in defensive shooting than the heavier weight of a .45ACP.

Practice, practice, practice. Running a few boxes of ammo a year through your defensive guns at fixed targets from a fixed position in a well-lit shooting range will get you started, but you'll be inadequately prepared at best. Take a defensive shooting class or three from reputable instructors. Consider doing some practical shooting competition to see how the stress---of even just a "game"---affects you.

I'll tell you what i have shot almost every type of gun and my favorite is a 44 caliber six shooter like Clint said most powerful handgun lol it is awesome and i can shoot a golf ball off a beet bottle at 100 yards just me but I'm a hand gun guy

I'll tell you what i have shot almost every type of gun and my favorite is a 44 caliber six shooter like Clint said most powerful handgun lol it is awesome and i can shoot a golf ball off a beet bottle at 100 yards just me but I'm a hand gun guy

Yeah in 1976?(wasn't born yet so not sure when that gun came out) fire a .50 AE

For the untrained and the not-well-trained handguns suck. Sorry, but they are hard to use on a good day.

I'll jump on the 12-gauge pile here because a good ole Winchester of Mossberg pump is hard to beat. If you ask 10 different guys what the best load is for home defense you will get 11 different answers but I use #4.

With a 12 gauge you can hold the thing with two hands, is MUCH easier to use and aim and, like the man said, the sound of a round being racked into the chamber will turn any sane creature's blood to ice water.

My humble two cents. -LY

P.S. right now ARs are all but impossible to find and are double the normal going rate when you can. I'd stay away from those right now. Another good carbine is a good lever-action carbine in 38 special / .357 magnum (yes you can use either or in those. 38s for fun and practice and hot .357 loads for huting or home defense. They are light, quick and handy. Rossi, Winchester or Marlin are all good names.

I never was much of a gun guy but I am seriously debating getting one. Of course I intend to take the necessary courses and training. I just wanted to get some advice from the many members here that I have come to respect over the years. I would be using it for my own personal protection. Years ago I had some experience with a .32 and some fun with an AR but that was decades ago.
So what do you guys think I should start out with?

Jim

I would defiantly take a quick CCW course :coffee2: They will help you
on the best hand gun for you and teach you how to care for it and
practice shooting unloading and loading with confidence :coffee2:
The 5906 S&W old all Steal is a great old gun, but like everyone has said
find out what works good for you. and I would highly recommend a CCW class and let a pro fix you up with a gun for your needs and teach you how to care for it and feel confident using it. I like the retired 5906 as a side arm.
But like most here I will grab my 870 Remington shot gun here at home first

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJGCYg0Ig2w"]S&W Model 5906 9mm. Old School American Steel - YouTube[/ame]

A handgun big enough to have stopping power is great but you also then run the risk of a missed shot going through either an interior or exterior wall and possibly injuring or killing a loved one or neighbor. With a 12-guage pump you're going to reduce the chance of that happening - and like said before, the sound alone of cycling a round in a 12-guage should be enough to stop the bad guy in his tracks.

I agree , handgun n rifle bullets present a real problem. Stray shots , overpenetration, thats all scary **** that could backfire and take your financial life or as mentioned harm an unintended target. We keep a 12 loaded w T it works fine.

For the untrained and the not-well-trained handguns suck. Sorry, but they are hard to use on a good day.

I'll jump on the 12-gauge pile here because a good ole Winchester of Mossberg pump is hard to beat. If you ask 10 different guys what the best load is for home defense you will get 11 different answers but I use #4.

With a 12 gauge you can hold the thing with two hands, is MUCH easier to use and aim and, like the man said, the sound of a round being racked into the chamber will turn any sane creature's blood to ice water.

My humble two cents. -LY

P.S. right now ARs are all but impossible to find and are double the normal going rate when you can. I'd stay away from those right now. Another good carbine is a good lever-action carbine in 38 special / .357 magnum (yes you can use either or in those. 38s for fun and practice and hot .357 loads for huting or home defense. They are light, quick and handy. Rossi, Winchester or Marlin are all good names.

Well said and X2 on our shot guns :happy1:

Home defense and personal protection. I would think a hand gun. I can't see trying to swing a shot gun or rifle around in the confinements of a hall or room in case of a home intrusion.

Yes, a shotgun if the house is where it will stay.
Otherwise, a revolver.
In a bad situation they will not let you down.
Autos have a purpose but require more practice and have been known to jam.
I'm sure you have heard the tape.
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/dramatic-911-call-released-in-intruder-shooting/nTrLK/
She could have used more bullets to kill him, but it did the job.
Unless you are expecting a gang invasion that should do it.
If this gun is going to go anywhere other than your night stand, go with a smaller one.
My daughter made the mistake of getting too large a gun to carry.
Nice Smith 38 but a little large.
I got her a smaller one.
And pay for quality. You can't go wrong with a Colt. But guns do wear out so learn how to check if you get a used one.
Go to a gun show to get a good idea of prices and a large selection in one place. Of course, I hear that some dealers are not going to shows because they have no inventory.
But those are the ones selling AR 15 and the like.
There should still be plenty of guns to suit your purpose there.
I'm from the Bill Jordon school, although I wouldn't be without a 1911.
I carry a Charter Arms. It goes everywhere and fits in my pants pocket.

And lastly, if you have small children, realize that a revolver's depenablity and simplicity is a weakness. Be careful.

-
Back