Gun Stealing Technique...????

-

bargeahead

Wishicouldre member
Reaction score
Just got this e-mail form the shooting org. I belong to. Anybody else heard of this ?

>Subject: FW: New Gun Stealing Technique - no joke!
>
>
>
>Public service announcement: While I was in a Denver gun store today, my car
>was tagged on the wheel in the parking lot. The gangs do this on wheels or
>bumpers at gun stores, shooting ranges, gun shows etc. Later when you are
>parked at a restaurant, hotel, or other location that’s less well guarded or
>under video surveillance, other gang members spot the marker and break into the
>car for a quick gun grab. This is so RAMPANT in San Antonio where we were for
>a National shoot this summer, the police chief of that county came out to brief
>the 400 participants of our competition. Too bad three teams had already
>been victimized the first day. This is the first I’ve heard of this in Denver .
> Please pass this info along to your 2nd amendment list.
>
>
>This next comment from a Gunsite instructor:
>I don’t know how widespread this is becoming , but the info regarding the NSCA
>Nationals in San Antonio is correct, as all of us who compete in sporting clays
>know. Competitors there were having their vehicles marked with a small adhesive
>dot on the rear license plate or rear bumper, then followed for miles and having
>their vehicles quickly and efficiently broken in to when parked for lunch etc.
>Some crews were working the parking lot at the Nationals itself. 27 high end
>shotguns were taken there recently. They know when 1400 shooters with high $$
>competition guns are in town.
>BTW I shot with a young man who was trying out a new gun at the Nationals. He
>and his father lost all their guns and equipment while making a quick stop for
>lunch at a BBQ place in Corpus Christi the month before.

I'm a shooter, and I never heard of this. Could it be true? Yeah.
I would like to find out more, but it sounds like another urban legend.....

(the one about a gang member's initiation driving without headlights on, then the first car to flash the highbeams to alert them, they turn around, follow the car, and shoot the driver) BS

I'm a shooter, and I never heard of this. Could it be true? Yeah.
I would like to find out more, but it sounds like another urban legend.....

(the one about a gang member's initiation driving without headlights on, then the first car to flash the highbeams to alert them, they turn around, follow the car, and shoot the driver) BS

Was wondering same but then thought might be a viable MO.

I would be dead a long time ago here in So. Cal if that was the case....Between Santa Ana and Long Beach...Maybe I should be buying lottery tickets? If I had a High dollar shooter in my ride, that puppy would be traveling with me into the eatery..whats another gun case in a TX Lubey's?

Just got this e-mail form the shooting org. I belong to. Anybody else heard of this ?

>Subject: FW: New Gun Stealing Technique - no joke!
>
>
>
>Public service announcement: While I was in a Denver gun store today, my car
>was tagged on the wheel in the parking lot. The gangs do this on wheels or
>bumpers at gun stores, shooting ranges, gun shows etc. Later when you are
>parked at a restaurant, hotel, or other location that’s less well guarded or
>under video surveillance, other gang members spot the marker and break into the
>car for a quick gun grab. This is so RAMPANT in San Antonio where we were for
>a National shoot this summer, the police chief of that county came out to brief
>the 400 participants of our competition. Too bad three teams had already
>been victimized the first day. This is the first I’ve heard of this in Denver .
> Please pass this info along to your 2nd amendment list.
>
>
>This next comment from a Gunsite instructor:
>I don’t know how widespread this is becoming , but the info regarding the NSCA
>Nationals in San Antonio is correct, as all of us who compete in sporting clays
>know. Competitors there were having their vehicles marked with a small adhesive
>dot on the rear license plate or rear bumper, then followed for miles and having
>their vehicles quickly and efficiently broken in to when parked for lunch etc.
>Some crews were working the parking lot at the Nationals itself. 27 high end
>shotguns were taken there recently. They know when 1400 shooters with high $$
>competition guns are in town.
>BTW I shot with a young man who was trying out a new gun at the Nationals. He
>and his father lost all their guns and equipment while making a quick stop for
>lunch at a BBQ place in Corpus Christi the month before.

Just had an article in our local paper this morning about some Mississippi hunters who had gone to Texas on a big buck hunt. On the way back, they stopped at a restaurant in San Antonio for lunch, and when they came back out, they discovered their vehicle broken into and all of their gear including guns were gone. The investigating police officer said this was a huge problem in the area.

And thats why mine stays on my hip all the time and when I have rifles with me they don't stay in the rig....

Scary if it is true. I have a bad habit of leaving our self defense firearm out when we leave the house. I honestly don't know why I dont bring it with me, I have a permit. But theft is my biggest fear when it comes to firearm ownership.

And thats why mine stays on my hip all the time and when I have rifles with me they don't stay in the rig....

X2! I never leave my sidearm in the car. If I have to go somewhere I know I can't carry then it stays locked up at home. Even on a trip to the range I don't make stops either going to or coming from.

It's common practice for the cops to mark your tires here in the land of the parking nazis. You pull into a 2 or 1 hour spot, your tires get marked and if your not out in alotted time, the tow truck comes a rollin'. There is big gang problem here in Denver, so I'm not minimizing the issue but I doubt that 90% of those yahoos are bright enough to figure out such a plan.

BTW, just a note to all that removable under seat pistol vaults are availible. They have a cable that wraps around your seat bracket so it can't be easily removed. The law here states that gun must be in a "removable" locking case which seems stupid as hell to me, but what the hell do I know. I'm just a stupid citizen. ;) They make a really nice heavy steel locking console for my Jeep but it would be illegal for me to put my pistol in it.

If I'm going to the range with rifles, like camd64 i don't make any stops either.

Edit: just checked out Snopes and the e-mail is false: http://www.snopes.com/crime/intent/gunshop.asp

-
Back