Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
That might be worth looking in to for sure. He seems to enjoy it and is pretty good for just starting out. We want him to try shooting trap as well, the middle school here has a trap team. They rent shotguns at the range, I need to ask if they rent youth ones next time we go as I only have a full size currently.

That might be worth looking in to for sure. He seems to enjoy it and is pretty good for just starting out. We want him to try shooting trap as well, the middle school here has a trap team. They rent shotguns at the range, I need to ask if they rent youth ones next time we go as I only have a full size currently.
I coach a youth trap team and I am most certain they will have some youth equipment for usage at your facility. My smallest shooter does not even come to my rib cage. Hah! But he can bust em like anyone else. Just remember the attention span is super short at that age, keep it fun and he will enjoy it for sure. Youth trap clubs are a hoot, the kids develop a lot of skills (non shooting) they will use their entire life.

I feel like you are right, they are mostly a sporting okay range, so they should have youth stuff. I'll have to see what options they have for shooting, their sporting clay course is fun, but takes a few hours, might be too long, especially if he isn't doing very well. We have a local park that you can shoot clays, you have to throw then yourself, I think that would be a better choice as their is to time commitment then. I just need to find a buddy with a youth shotgun to borrow for the day, or bring him and his kid. Is a youth 20 a good starting point, or a 28 or 410???

I feel like you are right, they are mostly a sporting okay range, so they should have youth stuff. I'll have to see what options they have for shooting, their sporting clay course is fun, but takes a few hours, might be too long, especially if he isn't doing very well. We have a local park that you can shoot clays, you have to throw then yourself, I think that would be a better choice as their is to time commitment then. I just need to find a buddy with a youth shotgun to borrow for the day, or bring him and his kid. Is a youth 20 a good starting point, or a 28 or 410???
A youth twenty is where we start them. Literally the recoil difference between a 20 vs 410 is so absolutely minimal that there is no point. And the odds of them hitting the clay go up dramatically. Then the cost element and availability of ammo make the twenty the winner by a large margin. We start them by locking thrower down and shooting straight out targets from center station. Once they gain some confidence we start moving them back to 16 yard line and letting the thrower throw. You have to build up their confidence first. Then they start overthinking it, then they discover girls and the whole thing unravels! Hah! I coach up to seniors in HS.

I'll have to see what stations they have, I have only done sporting clays and honestly don't know the difference between those and skeet and trap. I've got some homework to do!!

This is my local range that we go to.

Shooting Ranges in Michigan - Michigan Shooting Centers
I would suggest starting with trap, sporting clays are a tuff start and you do not have the latitude to move around and make it easier on the shooter. Remember you want the youth to have fun and just bust em his first couple of times out. You have plenty of time to increase the difficulty. Trap is much more flexible for you to adapt an easier shooting solution. Down side is if it is public range you may not be able to move forward. You might talk to the RSO (range safety officer) and explain to him what you want to do and that is first time youth shooter. Then ask him how to proceed, if you can move closer to the trap house for a few warm up shots. Typically the local ranges are so enthusiastic about youth shooting they will make most any reasonable accommodations. Just be up front with them.

I'll have to see what stations they have, I have only done sporting clays and honestly don't know the difference between those and skeet and trap. I've got some homework to do!!

This is my local range that we go to.

Shooting Ranges in Michigan - Michigan Shooting Centers
You will have to let us know how it goes, as a CRSO I will literally move heaven and earth to make sure a new to shooting youth has a good time at our facility. He will remember the experience for years!

You will have to let us know how it goes, as a CRSO I will literally move heaven and earth to make sure a new to shooting youth has a good time at our facility. He will remember the experience for years!

For sure, it'll be a couple weeks at least till we get a change to go again, but I will definitely try.

Been a great shooter, not one jamb up or miss fire, happy with my Henry 9mm carbine Homesteader, from bed post to fence post @Sublime one

17125012050163611499319551755471.jpg

Been a great shooter, not one jamb up or miss fire, happy with my Henry 9mm carbine Homesteader, from bed post to fence post @Sublime one

View attachment 1716232789
You made a great choice there Cuzz. Everyone I know who has purchased one of those has been thrilled. From the buzz at shotshow it looks like Henry has been listening to all the positive feedback and the heavy sales traffic on them. I would look for another departure from their “traditional “ lever actions later this year or early spring next year.

Well it is now confirmed yesterday that the Mal pup is not only faster than squirrels but also ditch tigers. You can connect the dots. Turns out however she is not faster than a jet of skunk musk. We are delousing everything we own this morning as a result!

IMG_1377.jpeg

IMG_1376.jpeg

So I had some issues with new to me trap shotgun, typical well used Browning Citori, bottom barrel wont discharge. The repair is to replace bottom firing pin and spring. In my infinite wisdom I decided since I had it that far apart I might as well rebuild the entire guts and eliminate the release trigger. Most gun smiths charge right at 400 dollars with a 8 week wait at best. 60 dollars in parts. How hard could it be? Arghh! I ended up making a tool to compress main springs. All in, right at 3 hours. I got no idea how many tools a real gunsmith uses but the picture depicts what it took me! The grinder and sander were used to make the spring compression tool! Total PITA

IMG_4956.jpeg

IMG_4957.jpeg

IMG_4958.jpeg

IMG_4959.jpeg

IMG_4955.jpeg

IMG_4954.jpeg

IMG_4953.jpeg

IMG_4960.jpeg

So I had some issues with new to me trap shotgun, typical well used Browning Citori, bottom barrel wont discharge. The repair is to replace bottom firing pin and spring. In my infinite wisdom I decided since I had it that far apart I might as well rebuild the entire guts and eliminate the release trigger. Most gun smiths charge right at 400 dollars with a 8 week wait at best. 60 dollars in parts. How hard could it be? Arghh! I ended up making a tool to compress main springs. All in, right at 3 hours. I got no idea how many tools a real gunsmith uses but the picture depicts what it took me! The grinder and sander were used to make the spring compression tool! Total PITA

View attachment 1716235512

View attachment 1716235513

View attachment 1716235514

View attachment 1716235515

View attachment 1716235516

View attachment 1716235517

View attachment 1716235518

View attachment 1716235519
See HEMI is still daddy's girl in the shop.

View attachment 1716235512

View attachment 1716235513

View attachment 1716235514

View attachment 1716235515

View attachment 1716235516

View attachment 1716235517

View attachment 1716235518

View attachment 1716235519
I see you had "help". :thumbsup::lol:

I see you had "help". :thumbsup::lol:
Yep, she is a true shop dog. Has her own chair and everything. True story, buddy brought his dog over and let them play in front yard, all was good. Dog entered the shop and got flung out! While it is funny now to remember, at the time it was spooky, I thought Hemi had killed the dog. If she had thumbs she could fetch tools. Her under the Cuda with me is still one of my favorite pictures.

IMG_3534.jpeg

Yep, she is a true shop dog. Has her own chair and everything. True story, buddy brought his dog over and let them play in front yard, all was good. Dog entered the shop and got flung out! While it is funny now to remember, at the time it was spooky, I thought Hemi had killed the dog. If she had thumbs she could fetch tools. Her under the Cuda with me is still one of my favorite pictures.

View attachment 1716235644
That’s awesome!

Daniel Defense is looking for a Director of Commercial Sales....

Recruitment
Great Company, great product. Somebody I know has won the black rifle championship (regional level) three years running with a DD V7! Shoots against some very tricked out equipment with a basically bone stock out of the box DD! They have just released a pistol as well but I have yet to see one in the wild?

Great Company, great product. Somebody I know has won the black rifle championship (regional level) three years running with a DD V7! Shoots against some very tricked out equipment with a basically bone stock out of the box DD! They have just released a pistol as well but I have yet to see one in the wild?

Their stuff is a bit outside of my price-point...so it falls into Gun ****. I do very much like their AR-10 platforms

308 Gas guns are just cool

Not to open Pandora’s box here, but for the under 2k rifle category DD and Sons of Liberty Gun Works are easily the two best rifles in my book. But to qualify previous statement, I am certainly super biased towards the SOLGW since I have been thru their armors courses and know the owner and founder.

Not to open Pandora’s box here, but for the under 2k rifle category DD and Sons of Liberty Gun Works are easily the two best rifles in my book. But to qualify previous statement, I am certainly super biased towards the SOLGW since I have been thru their armors courses and know the owner and founder.

I've mentioned before.... I keep eyeing the Ruger Precision platform in 308.... Sub 2K

As an aside, many of you probably don't appreciate this, but, being able to go onto Gallery Of Guns and not have a bajillion restrictions limitations or "NOT AVAILABLE IN YOU ZIP CODE" warnings pop-up is just glorious

West by God Virginia

Most of my handheld devices.
Left to right...
Heritage Rough Rider 22lr
Buffalo Scout 22lr
Rossi 357 Magnum
Taurus 22WMR
Davis 32 auto
Stoger Cougar 9mm
Laseraim 45ACP

IMG_20201023_183126.jpg

Last edited: