Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
Well I have been immersed in some instructor development two man training tactics and exercises all last weekend and am just now getting back to here. When we conduct that kind of training I don’t have the bandwidth for anything else. The days are long and exhausting. You are solving problems all day in live fire exercises. In this world that means you and a teammate are shooting side by side back to back in hallways small spaces etc. navigating whatever scenario the evil instructor has created for you. A lot of focus on intersections and room clearing. It is all live fire and a lot of shoulder to shoulder work. A lot of trust is involved not to mention a wee bit of gun handling skill. Then you swap and you are the instructor and run the team thru the drills. Did I mention I hate video? You want to look like a moron just video tape yourself training! Hah! There is no better way to identify the gaps and delays. Footwork is the key to the kingdom. I had a great time but I am whipped!

We were due!
My Alma Mater took 3rd after the French Team.

20240325_081943.jpg

Well I have been immersed in some instructor development two man training tactics and exercises all last weekend and am just now getting back to here. When we conduct that kind of training I don’t have the bandwidth for anything else. The days are long and exhausting. You are solving problems all day in live fire exercises. In this world that means you and a teammate are shooting side by side back to back in hallways small spaces etc. navigating whatever scenario the evil instructor has created for you. A lot of focus on intersections and room clearing. It is all live fire and a lot of shoulder to shoulder work. A lot of trust is involved not to mention a wee bit of gun handling skill. Then you swap and you are the instructor and run the team thru the drills. Did I mention I hate video? You want to look like a moron just video tape yourself training! Hah! There is no better way to identify the gaps and delays. Footwork is the key to the kingdom. I had a great time but I am whipped!

Video don't lie! Great training tool

Video don't lie! Great training tool
That is a fact, while we all hate video there is simply no better tool to correct and critique than a video. It really forces you to focus on areas of improvement. But watching yourself not stutter step so your partner can long step and catch up is a bit embarrassing. Ask me how I know!

Well finally got all the shotgun nonsense sorted out. I will retire my beloved 20 for this 12ga. But holy smokes it is big, heavy and wide plus about 19 feet longer! The pictures do not do it justice sitting next to my 20. The thing literally weighs just over two pounds more than my twenty. She tips the scales at right over nine pounds. Definitely sexy but I fear shooting it is going to be like trying to walk your 300 pound buddy home after one to many beers!

IMG_4759.jpeg

IMG_4758.jpeg

Looks pretty nice. You'll appreciate the weight after 100 rounds or more in an afternoon. I know I tend to get a little flinchy after 50 shots or so with my Peerless field gun, even with the lighter 1oz loads.

Well... The dog, that has been lounging in various spots around the house all day has, of course, decided that since it is raining out, she absolutely MUST lay in the middle of the yard.

I know the neighbors think ill of me :lol:

Well... The dog, that has been lounging in various spots around the house all day has, of course, decided that since it is raining out, she absolutely MUST lay in the middle of the yard.

I know the neighbors think ill of me :lol:
If your neighbors don’t already think ill of you, you ain’t doing your job!
Hehehehe

So here is your friendly PSA: Be sure and swap your batteries out on your red dots annually. I typically do all mine annually and somehow forgot a little 365XL SIG. Near as I can tell battery lasted right at three years. Not bad, but the moron behind the rear sight forgot all about the pistol. And if you have to remove the optic ( bad design) to replace the battery you MUST rezero. Mine was a bout 14 inches low but good on the HZ plane. Follow OEM guidelines for torque on the screws and a dab of (medium) thread lock. Most red dots require 15-18 INCH pounds of torques as a general rule.

IMG_1287.jpeg

IMG_1288.jpeg

So I got frustrated with the whole remove the optic to change the battery thing. Decided an upgrade was in order. So what to do with the Romeo Zero? As an instructor I am always looking at getting better classroom props. Why not mount it on one of my blue guns? Then I have a working red dot on a blue gun! Removed rear sight, marked holes and drilled for self tapping SST screws. Torqued to 20 elbow ft pounds, no lock tight required! Turned out pretty good!

IMG_1305.jpeg

IMG_1306.jpeg

IMG_1307.jpeg

IMG_1308.jpeg

IMG_1309.jpeg

IMG_1310.jpeg

Sitting on the porch watching the world go round. Poor Hemi stands no chance against the young Mal pup. She is like tigger, just bounces and springs. Hemi has fifty pounds on the pup but the Mal pup is both fearless and unimpressed! I caught this picture of the two of them looking at me. In it you can clearly see the distinction (facial) between the Mal and the Shepard. Folks often times say the two breeds look just alike, to those of us with the breeds there is just no denying the difference! My GSD is an Eastern Germany strain so that is why as a female she is blocky and North of 100 pounds. She is a K9 drop out! The Mal is well, just pure bat poop crazy Mal!

IMG_1344.jpeg

IMG_1340.jpeg

Winston has 30+lbs on Romeo, but Romeo just barrels into Winston at speed, with a vicious Thud! Winston does chase after him though, but he takes so much crap from his fur brother.

Nice view, btw!

Sitting on the porch watching the world go round. Poor Hemi stands no chance against the young Mal pup. She is like tigger, just bounces and springs. Hemi has fifty pounds on the pup but the Mal pup is both fearless and unimpressed! I caught this picture of the two of them looking at me. In it you can clearly see the distinction (facial) between the Mal and the Shepard. Folks often times say the two breeds look just alike, to those of us with the breeds there is just no denying the difference! My GSD is an Eastern Germany strain so that is why as a female she is blocky and North of 100 pounds. She is a K9 drop out! The Mal is well, just pure bat poop crazy Mal!

View attachment 1716231621

View attachment 1716231622

Ya need a set of go-faster goggles for the Mal, John

Screenshot_20240405_060733_Facebook.jpg

View attachment 1716231621

View attachment 1716231622
Beautiful property!! Beautiful dogs too!!

I took advantage of the sunny weather today and took my son (10) to the range again. He did excellent for his 2nd time out, he mostly shot my Tikka T1x, and a 22lr AR and even put some rounds through my suppressed 300aac AR.

This was 60 rounds at 50 yards, I'd say he has a ton of potential if he sticks with it, he was already shooting better than most of the guys there.

He liked the 22 AR as well, but it just has a red dot on it and he wasn't sure where he was hitting at 50. He asked if we could get a little magnification on it so I grabbed a cheap 2-7 VX Freedom and mount for it.

20240406_125431.jpg

20240406_114059.jpg

I took advantage of the sunny weather today and took my son (10) to the range again. He did excellent for his 2nd time out, he mostly shot my Tikka T1x, and a 22lr AR and even put some rounds through my suppressed 300aac AR.

This was 60 rounds at 50 yards, I'd say he has a ton of potential if he sticks with it, he was already shooting better than most of the guys there.

He liked the 22 AR as well, but it just has a red dot on it and he wasn't sure where he was hitting at 50. He asked if we could get a little magnification on it so I grabbed a cheap 2-7 VX Freedom and mount for it.

View attachment 1716232583

View attachment 1716232584
That right there is some serious good shooting! Side note a lot of colleges offer some recruiting money for team shooters. I hesitate to call it a scholarship when it is compared to money ball! You might turn him on to the USA shooting site, and he can look in on the junior Olympian shooters. All that is cool but the absolute best part is a Father and Son bonding and doing cool Dad stuff together! Well done good Sir!

-
Back