Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
You ever think about getting a dog. My sidearm gets put away, I have a sweeper for defending the home a modified Remington 1100 with a cocktail blend, sits right beside the lazyboy.
The perps have to get through the dogs first , not an easy task. I sleep like a baby at night, not a single worry.

He is the nicest dog but he’s big and had a great bark.

IMG_5569.jpeg

What type of class are you thinking of?
If its for the decision making and ethical and legal aspects, I'll suggest you look through Massad Ayoob's video old and new that are on youtube.
He offers insight from someone who has been called as an expert witness on numerous (legitimate) self defense cases. The videos on defensive gun usage will give you a lot of what he covers in his classes. If you are then interested in a class, go to his website.

Mostly just got shooting mechanics and defensive situations.

You ever think about getting a dog. My sidearm gets put away, I have a sweeper for defending the home a modified Remington 1100 with a cocktail blend, sits right beside the lazyboy.
The perps have to get through the dogs first , not an easy task. I sleep like a baby at night, not a single worry.
I will just put this here! I am with ya, frankly it does not really what kind of dog you get. They are providing you an early warning. Creating time and space is one of the keys to not becoming a victim. A dog, any dog, helps enormously. Clearly with a Mal and a large Shepard I am a fan. We don’t even lock the doors!

IMG_1227.jpeg

Slow is well… just plain slow! But smooth is fast! As we say in the “Biz” shoot sooner, not faster! Hah! You would have been proud of me this last weekend. Doing an out of State qual of basically fifty rounds at seven inch circle at 15 yards I shot a perfect score, to fast. In fact fast enough that RO got on intercom and explained to me in no uncertain terms I was to slow down. Indoor ranges suck! I mean seriously it was a seven inch circle at 15 yards, how slow do ya really need to go?

The outdoor one close to my house is like that too. They require a 3 second pause between shots or you get yelled at. Horrible place to shoot pistol.

The outdoor one close to my house is like that too. They require a 3 second pause between shots or you get yelled at. Horrible place to shoot pistol.

I avoid places like that. Most outdoor ranges are just stand and shoot or have benches. They are pretty much only good for shooting rifles or sighting in.

If I’m looking for a place to run drills or do any sort of training then I need to be able to position targets where I want and I need to be able to move/run.

This is one of our set ups before we added walls.

IMG_5611.jpeg

I avoid places like that. Most outdoor ranges are just stand and shoot or have benches. They are pretty much only good for shooting rifles or sighting in.

If I’m looking for a place to run drills or do any sort of training then I need to be able to position targets where I want and I need to be able to move/run.

View attachment 1716220050
I did not have a choice of venue. They have an agreement with Cadre. One shot per second, like watching paint dry. Come to our facility, you can shoot till your pistol will boil an egg! I do have a rule against morons tho.

Ahhh, the little rascals!

PXL_20240311_190524497.jpg

Romeo (on the right) and Winston worked together to get outside, Winston worked the handle on the door, and out they went! Not a big deal, the yard is fenced, and Winston doesn't seem to be in any mood to hop over it, which he can easily do. But Romeo has a new fascination with the neighbor's dog, and he is a climber! So I woke up to the neighbor knocking on my door, with Winston inside the fence and Romeo running around outside it. I got to meet another neighbor, and Romeo met another dog. He would have walked right inside their house too, he's that bold. He just had to climb over the fence again and say hello one more time. He came back after a few calls. At least he sticks around the house if he's outside of the fence, Winston will wander off for an hour before heading home. Gotta love them, they're good boys.

Ahhh, the little rascals!

View attachment 1716220726

Romeo (on the right) and Winston worked together to get outside, Winston worked the handle on the door, and out they went! Not a big deal, the yard is fenced, and Winston doesn't seem to be in any mood to hop over it, which he can easily do. But Romeo has a new fascination with the neighbor's dog, and he is a climber! So I woke up to the neighbor knocking on my door, with Winston inside the fence and Romeo running around outside it. I got to meet another neighbor, and Romeo met another dog. He would have walked right inside their house too, he's that bold. He just had to climb over the fence again and say hello one more time. He came back after a few calls. At least he sticks around the house if he's outside of the fence, Winston will wander off for an hour before heading home. Gotta love them, they're good boys.
Yep! I remember when you brought the one home! Maybe a year ago? Maybe two?
Mine just jumped in the brown truck this week. Only way I knew was the shrill screaming like a girl I heard out in the drive. Our regular route driver who carries dog treats on board was out sick so we had a fill in. The Mal pup cleared the steps and was in the truck fully expecting a treat. All she got was a city boy screaming. They should not put city driver’s on rural routes!

View attachment 1716220050
I have a place like that about 90 minutes from my house. It has a good variety of everything there, and you are your own RO. It's worth the drive for sure.

Lost my little girl yesterday, after 13 years she just couldn’t do it anymore. She was my shotgun on many trucking trips, and out in the oil fields. Loved riding in my hot rods the best. Will be missed.

5A076CB3-2EC2-4AD8-B7F7-3A8BDE52BFE9.jpeg

-
Back