Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
Best day ever right there!

The SnW AR platform style 22 in all its off the wall colors is one of the youths favorites. I put a L cheapy red dot on it and they shoot just about as fast as I can load a magazine. They also like anything scoped. Thanks for spending the day on the range passing on to the next generation!
Mines not an S&W, but it runs flawless with any junk 22 ammo. I put it together out of spare parts a while ago and picked up a 22 barrel for it recently. It's got a Leupold RDS on it. I've shot steel challenge with it a couple times, but that's been about it.

20231227_214056.jpg

I picked up a vintage Savage 110 in 30-30 at a gun show. I've always liked the 30-30, had a Marlin previously, just right for that pouch on the back side of that blanket seat cover I had in the Yota 4x4 :D . I did a lot of hand loading and found that the Marlin really liked 150 gr spire points, tube magazines and spire points don't get along well for obvious reasons, so it was 1 in the chamber and 1 in the mag. The Savage with the box mag had no issues with the spire point hand loads I used in the Marlin and a vast improvement in it's shooting capabilities.

I picked up a vintage Savage 110 in 30-30 at a gun show. I've always liked the 30-30, had a Marlin previously, just right for that pouch on the back side of that blanket seat cover I had in the Yota 4x4 :D . I did a lot of hand loading and found that the Marlin really liked 150 gr spire points, tube magazines and spire points don't get along well for obvious reasons, so it was 1 in the chamber and 1 in the mag. The Savage with the box mag had no issues with the spire point hand loads I used in the Marlin and a vast improvement in it's shooting capabilities.

I came REAL close to buying a 110 Hunter. I was sitting in my blind during deer season going back and fourth between it and building an AR. I went with the AR but the Savage looked nice.

Thx! And yes I can read it, we may have had the same drawing instructor!
Look at the winter triggers. There's a relatively common version for M1 Rifle, and a similar one for the carbine, and I'm pretty sure I've seen at least a couple other versions but maybe not for the M1 rifle. The exposed trigger safety issue you already have to manage on any of these.

I came REAL close to buying a 110 Hunter. I was sitting in my blind during deer season going back and fourth between it and building an AR. I went with the AR but the Savage looked nice.
I just like bolt guns :D The only autoloading rifle I've ever owned is a Ruger 10/22. I bought it at a department store on a Saturday so the store would cash my paycheck :lol: Yeah it was before banks were open on Saturdays :lol:. I think the Ruger was like $60 :lol:

I just like bolt guns :D The only autoloading rifle I've ever owned is a Ruger 10/22. I bought it at a department store on a Saturday so the store would cash my paycheck :lol: Yeah it was before banks were open on Saturdays :lol:. I think the Ruger was like $60 :lol:
Wanna make your money back on that investment?

It has it's place in my collection. My heirs can sell it if they like when the time comes :) Thanks anyway.
thats cool, guns make great heirlooms

plus, i really dont "need" it
but for the right price, i wasnt going to turn it down

thats cool, guns make great heirlooms

plus, i really dont "need" it
but for the right price, i wasnt going to turn it down
I have a little Winchester bolt 22 that my dad gave to me when I was about 10 or 11. I forget what model it is, but he bought it when he was a kid somewhere around 1940. When he gave it to me it was a project because he and his brothers had broken the stock right through the pistol grip and repaired it with piano wire and friction tape :lol:

I have a little Winchester bolt 22 that my dad gave to me when I was about 10 or 11. I forget what model it is, but he bought it when he was a kid somewhere around 1940. When he gave it to me it was a project because he and his brothers had broken the stock right through the pistol grip and repaired it with piano wire and friction tape :lol:
that sounds about right

being an immigrant, my parents dont understand the second amendment and they really dont get why my boy got a .22 for Christmas a few years ago (a ruger AR7)

i used to have a coworker who would tell stories about his youth
he said it wasnt uncommon for the boys to bring their guns to school to fix or alter stocks in woodshop

nowadays, good luck finding a school that still offers shop

So did a school district security assessment all day today, then at end of day drive three plus hours north for a rocking meal in hotel room. I managed to forget my paper plates so had to improvise warming up a burrito as I wrap them in foil. That don’t work in microwave! Tomorrow and following day is all defensive pistol teaching, and home defense classes. Always amazes me how many folks will carry all day and be reasonably alert. Walk thru the door of their own house and become virtually unaware of anything but the tv or whatever. No real thought as to how to defend their home.

IMG_1235.jpeg

So did a school district security assessment all day today, then at end of day drive three plus hours north for a rocking meal in hotel room. I managed to forget my paper plates so had to improvise warming up a burrito as I wrap them in foil. That don’t work in microwave! Tomorrow and following day is all defensive pistol teaching, and home defense classes. Always amazes me how many folks will carry all day and be reasonably alert. Walk thru the door of their own house and become virtually unaware of anything but the tv or whatever. No real thought as to how to defend their home.

View attachment 1716217705

Wife always gives me a hard time for carrying at home. If someone comes to the door I’m not walking to the bedroom. I REALLY need to take a class though.

View attachment 1716217705
Defrost on hot. Heat them burritos right up. I don't carry in the house but not far from it. No kids in the house but isn't a problem if they do visit.

Wife always gives me a hard time for carrying at home. If someone comes to the door I’m not walking to the bedroom. I REALLY need to take a class though.
You ever think about getting a dog. My sidearm gets put away, I have a sweeper for defending the home a modified Remington 1100 with a cocktail blend, sits right beside the lazyboy.
The perps have to get through the dogs first , not an easy task. I sleep like a baby at night, not a single worry.

You ever think about getting a dog. My sidearm gets put away, I have a sweeper for defending the home a modified Remington 1100 with a cocktail blend, sits right beside the lazyboy.
The perps have to get through the dogs first , not an easy task. I sleep like a baby at night, not a single worry.
Me too. My Pyrenees is always on high alert - there is no such thing as sneaking up on her, even when she's asleep. That's a whole bunch of you-ain't-coming-in-here to deal with while I wake up and take care of business. Sucks to be you, idiot home invader.

What type of class are you thinking of?
If its for the decision making and ethical and legal aspects, I'll suggest you look through Massad Ayoob's video old and new that are on youtube.
He offers insight from someone who has been called as an expert witness on numerous (legitimate) self defense cases. The videos on defensive gun usage will give you a lot of what he covers in his classes. If you are then interested in a class, go to his website.

-
Back