Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
That right there is gospel. For the life of me I do not understand how some folks will mortgage their house to buy a rifle then put a 100 dollar Tasco on top of it?
I can't be the only one who things 100 dollar is a lot for a scope ?

I can find em on Amazon for 30 bucks

I can't be the only one who things 100 dollar is a lot for a scope ?

I can find em on Amazon for 30 bucks
I can’t justify it myself. I myself have not experienced the optics in this recent discussion so I have no comparison. Then again, my competition is large game. LOL.

That right there is gospel. For the life of me I do not understand how some folks will mortgage their house to buy a rifle then put a 100 dollar Tasco on top of it?

Head over to the AR Facebook groups and hold in your vomit. People are throwing sight marks and Vortex glass on all kinds of rifles. What’s more funny is how people are mounting them. People bridge their optics or they mount them as far back as possible. They want their eye to be on the glass apparently.

I grew up with the Redfield, Weaver, Bushnell, Leopold hunting rifle scope mentality. I bought a cheap Pentax for my Savage 110 and love it. Brightest optics I have experienced.

I grew up with the Redfield, Weaver, Bushnell, Leopold hunting rifle scope mentality. I bought a cheap Pentax for my Savage 110 and love it. Brightest optics I have experienced.
The “glass” technology has improved so dramatically since most of us were kids that it is not even fair anymore to compare my old redfields and bushnells with anything modern regardless of price point. The medium glass of today is light years ahead of sixties glass. And yes I grew up in the sixties! And do we want to talk about the unsung, below the radar, tack driving Savage 110s or what! I have literally never heard of or seen one that is not a tack driver. 110s are one of the best kept secrets in the industry!

Head over to the AR Facebook groups and hold in your vomit. People are throwing sight marks and Vortex glass on all kinds of rifles. What’s more funny is how people are mounting them. People bridge their optics or they mount them as far back as possible. They want their eye to be on the glass apparently.
Vortex is going to become the hottest flavor of the month since they won the Govt contract. Be on lookout for some escalation of price point for civilian products.

I am simply not man enough to go there! Hah!

Vortex is going to become the hottest flavor of the month since they won the Govt contract. Be on lookout for some escalation of price point for civilian products.

Their glass on anything besides their top of the line models is complete trash. I hunted with a Vortex Crossfire on it last deer season and it was very comparable to me taking my glasses off. When I was buying a scope the next month I went to the store and looked through a Vortex then through a Leupold at the same price point. The Leupold was significantly better.

The “glass” technology has improved so dramatically since most of us were kids that it is not even fair anymore to compare my old redfields and bushnells with anything modern regardless of price point. The medium glass of today is light years ahead of sixties glass. And yes I grew up in the sixties! And do we want to talk about the unsung, below the radar, tack driving Savage 110s or what! I have literally never heard of or seen one that is not a tack driver. 110s are one of the best kept secrets in the industry!
Note to self. BUY MORE! I think it was your Daughter sporting the 243, 110? I opted for a 270. I love it.

Note to self. BUY MORE! I think it was your Daughter sporting the 243, 110? I opted for a 270. I love it.
You are correct BP, daughter loves hers (110) as do several other of our family members. I see one on the used rack it just magically comes home with me! Have never been disappointed. They just plain shoot.

As some of you may or may not know, I Coach a youth trap team (God is Great Outdoor Youth Trap) We have been practicing twice a week for the last month in preparation for the season. Last night one of our shooters shot a perfect score of 25. When a shooter gets his/her first straight 25, tradition dictates at end of round they throw their hat in the air and the rest of the squad gets to shoot it out of the air. It is classic! I included the picture of the trap house with witness shot marks to show you guys the other end of the spectrum of youth trap!

IMG_1221.jpeg

IMG_1220.jpeg

Government contracts generally go to the lowest bidder. Comforting, as you jump-off into battle....
I bought a couple of their AR variables...not impressed. I know their high-end stuff is pretty nice, but that just suckers people into buying their lesser products. It seems like everybody has done that. US Optics used to be pretty great stuff, but of course they offer an Asian line of junk, now. [Are they still in business?]
100_3821.jpg

Last edited:
I have 60-70 year-old German scopes, that are much crisper than the current Asian and U.S. offerings. One good deal I've found over the years, is Steiner. I've gotten some smokin' deals on their optics. German parts, that were assembled in the Carolinas.

So one of our youth trap team shooters is disabled and shoots from a chair. His hand does not work as well as he would like. I needed to do some farmineering on a side trigger pull device if you will. Below is my Beta test which was an epic fail. The issue is the lack of room behind the trigger when pulled. But my learnings from Beta test has got me a solution running around in my head. If any of y’all have any experience in side pull gizmos for triggers ping me please. The youth has a great attitude and loves shooting. Once we get in wet season I am not sure how good is chair will work off road? But I bet we figure out a solution!

IMG_1230.jpeg

No experience whatsoever, but what about replacing the trigger guard with a larger loop, or drilling through the trigger guard, so when ready for a firing session, the accessible trigger piece can be attached in front, in addition to side? Other option, fixed mechanism one side of the trigger guard, so a hinged piece anchored to it, through the trigger guard in front of trigger, would be a lever from the opposite side Spitballing, and that'd need removed when not actively firing, because it'd make it too easy for an accidental discharge, I'm thinking.

No experience whatsoever, but what about replacing the trigger guard with a larger loop, or drilling through the trigger guard, so when ready for a firing session, the accessible trigger piece can be attached in front, in addition to side? Other option, fixed mechanism one side of the trigger guard, so a hinged piece anchored to it, through the trigger guard in front of trigger, would be a lever from the opposite side Spitballing, and that'd need removed when not actively firing, because it'd make it too easy for an accidental discharge, I'm thinking.
I went down similar evolution of thought. His arm stops just past his elbow so I have to keep it close and on inside.

Keep thinking guys!

What about a trigger crank?
Could he operate that ?

Left hand holds stock; right arm, below elbow, on the trigger mechanism...prosthetic he can pull trigger but difficult, or using the elbow joint to pull a mechanism?

If the latter, I wonder about a trapped toggle, so the side out pivots, and he's pushing a lever/paddle that pulls the trigger? Then pull off the mechanism end of the session.
I'll bet if you come up with a design, somebody'd 3D print for you.

I took my some out for the first time this weekend. He's 10, and has been big into nerf guns recently, so I figured it's time for the real thing. We started with a single shot kid5s 22 with iron sights, he got bored with that after about 50 rounds. But since most of his shots were pretty close to the center of the target,l and he didn't have any unsafe habits, we moved to my old scoped Marlin bolt 22. He liked that one better since it had a scope, but the stock was a little too big for him. We then moved to my Tikka in a chassis with a big scope and supressor. I was able to rotate the butt pad spacers hideaways so they sat above his shoulder and the stock was in the right spot and it was just about right for him. He was even able to cut a toothpick in half at 25 yards with it, I was very surprised since it was his first time shooting.

He tried a 22 pistol too, but didnt feel too comfortable with it yet, so he only took a few shots.

Ended up putting ~250 rounds down range, with even more smiles!! He said he loved it and can't wait to go again. I ordered the tool less LOP adjuster for my chassis today, with the numbers it advertises, it'll be adjustable enough to be perfect for both of us to use.

All in all great father son bonding time. Can't wait till we can go again. I'm going to bring the 22 AR next time.

20240302_140316.jpg

20240302_141416.jpg

20240302_161946.jpg

20240302_173410.jpg

20240302_152403.jpg

So one of our youth trap team shooters is disabled and shoots from a chair. His hand does not work as well as he would like. I needed to do some farmineering on a side trigger pull device if you will. Below is my Beta test which was an epic fail. The issue is the lack of room behind the trigger when pulled. But my learnings from Beta test has got me a solution running around in my head. If any of y’all have any experience in side pull gizmos for triggers ping me please. The youth has a great attitude and loves shooting. Once we get in wet season I am not sure how good is chair will work off road? But I bet we figure out a solution!

View attachment 1716216417

Could you 3d print something that slips over the trigger and sticks out to the side? Might be a little tighter fit than what you have. If you can sketch something up on paper, I'd be willing to print it for you to try.

I took my some out for the first time this weekend. He's 10, and has been big into nerf guns recently, so I figured it's time for the real thing. We started with a single shot kid5s 22 with iron sights, he got bored with that after about 50 rounds. But since most of his shots were pretty close to the center of the target,l and he didn't have any unsafe habits, we moved to my old scoped Marlin bolt 22. He liked that one better since it had a scope, but the stock was a little too big for him. We then moved to my Tikka in a chassis with a big scope and supressor. I was able to rotate the butt pad spacers hideaways so they sat above his shoulder and the stock was in the right spot and it was just about right for him. He was even able to cut a toothpick in half at 25 yards with it, I was very surprised since it was his first time shooting.

He tried a 22 pistol too, but didnt feel too comfortable with it yet, so he only took a few shots.

Ended up putting ~250 rounds down range, with even more smiles!! He said he loved it and can't wait to go again. I ordered the tool less LOP adjuster for my chassis today, with the numbers it advertises, it'll be adjustable enough to be perfect for both of us to use.

All in all great father son bonding time. Can't wait till we can go again. I'm going to bring the 22 AR next time.

View attachment 1716216490

View attachment 1716216491

View attachment 1716216493

View attachment 1716216495

View attachment 1716216496
Best day ever right there!

The SnW AR platform style 22 in all its off the wall colors is one of the youths favorites. I put a L cheapy red dot on it and they shoot just about as fast as I can load a magazine. They also like anything scoped. Thanks for spending the day on the range passing on to the next generation!

-
Back