Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
Scheels carries them, I have heard nothing but solid feedback on them. A lot of competitive guys have been using their parts with great success for a long time. I see a lot of them as hybrids in our classes. Seems like they run great. I have never shot one tho.

Full page ad in the Regimental Association monthly magazine....

Full page ad in the Regimental Association monthly magazine....
As previously stated I got no dog in the fight as I do not have a Glock. But the majority of guys I compete against use them and Zev is hands down by a large margin the most predominant upgrades and customization. The guys running Zev equipment are typically hard to beat.

So has anyone here zeroed their red dot at 36 yards?

Just did one at 50 a couple weeks ago. Nothing fancy. Just drew a cross on a paper and rested it against a tree. Walked it into where the lines in the cross meet and called it good. That rifle never goes out beyond 50 yards so if a 5.56 is still rising at that distance it isn’t a big deal.

I just re-zeroed my AR pistol to 36 yards last Sunday. Transitioning targets from 25 to 200 yards and everything in between is a cake walk now, I can't believe the difference, it's huge!.

I just re-zeroed my AR pistol to 36 yards last Sunday. Transitioning targets from 25 to 200 yards and everything in between is a cake walk now, I can't believe the difference, it's huge!.
I do my pistol red dots at ten yards and my rifles at 35. Works for me. Side bar, anybody know how to repair, fix, hide, worn Cerakote? My Sig is showing quite a bit of wear at the point my thumb rests? Pistol is starting to look a bit shaggy, but have never had a single issue with it. Other than the wing nut behind the grip!

20BD5500-001A-4FDB-B6A1-3D4E60803817.jpeg

I do my pistol red dots at ten yards and my rifles at 35.

35 - 36, pretty close, it made a remarkable difference in target acquisition to hits on target. I was zeroed at 50/200 and anything out around 100 yards I had to think about.

35 - 36, pretty close, it made a remarkable difference in target acquisition to hits on target. I was zeroed at 50/200 and anything out around 100 yards I had to think about.
That is the ultimate ford Chevy question but I find zero at fifty is not as flexible and adaptive as 35. Just my .02

So here is a PSA announcement, if you look down at your hands and you have a callous on the inside of your knuckle on your thumb, well you are likely getting the correct amount of repetitions with your pistol! Hah!

Haven’t gotten out in 3 weeks. Turkey season starts tomorrow so I won’t be shooting the rifle or pistols until the end of May. But I am fired up to get back into the woods with a shotgun.

Haven’t gotten out in 3 weeks. Turkey season starts tomorrow so I won’t be shooting the rifle or pistols until the end of May. But I am fired up to get back into the woods with a shotgun.
Good luck, turkey hunting is about as good as it gets, followed closely by Elk. Just a absolute good time. Except for the ticks!

Just spent an awesome weekend with my 15 yr-old son visiting a friend in Northern CA and shooting Belding ground squirrels. Fantastic scenery. We went through the 1,000 rounds I shipped, through three rifles between my son and I, and Larry went through nearly 500 himself. I call it our "Raptor Feeding Initiative" because we get dozens of bald and golden eagles and various hawks coming in to pick up the leftovers. They really don't seem to care that we keep shooting around them as they feed. The weather played a trick on us and gave us 2"-3" snow the second day and we were afraid they'd stay in their holes but the fields looked like chocolate chip ice cream when we pulled up. Squirrels all over and they really were easy to see until about noon when it melted off. Made for some fast shooting. My son got his single shot .222 Remington hot enough to cook bacon on the barrel but was having so much fun flipping them I couldn't ask him to slow down. It was nice to get back out there after several year hiatus. It is very challenging shooting to hit these small targets out to 350-400yds in the wind.
upload_2022-4-22_14-7-24.png

upload_2022-4-22_14-8-3.png

upload_2022-4-22_14-8-25.png

upload_2022-4-22_14-8-52.png

Just spent an awesome weekend with my 15 yr-old son visiting a friend in Northern CA and shooting Belding ground squirrels. Fantastic scenery. We went through the 1,000 rounds I shipped, through three rifles between my son and I, and Larry went through nearly 500 himself. I call it our "Raptor Feeding Initiative" because we get dozens of bald and golden eagles and various hawks coming in to pick up the leftovers. They really don't seem to care that we keep shooting around them as they feed. The weather played a trick on us and gave us 2"-3" snow the second day and we were afraid they'd stay in their holes but the fields looked like chocolate chip ice cream when we pulled up. Squirrels all over and they really were easy to see until about noon when it melted off. Made for some fast shooting. My son got his single shot .222 Remington hot enough to cook bacon on the barrel but was having so much fun flipping them I couldn't ask him to slow down. It was nice to get back out there after several year hiatus. It is very challenging shooting to hit these small targets out to 350-400yds in the wind.
View attachment 1715912619
View attachment 1715912620
View attachment 1715912621
View attachment 1715912622
Congrats proud Dad! Well done! That is some serious good times and a memory your boy will never forget.

I do my pistol red dots at ten yards and my rifles at 35. Works for me. Side bar, anybody know how to repair, fix, hide, worn Cerakote? My Sig is showing quite a bit of wear at the point my thumb rests? Pistol is starting to look a bit shaggy, but have never had a single issue with it. Other than the wing nut behind the grip!

View attachment 1715911803

Stuff is a pain to touch up cleanly. Mostly because it adheres so well, and is tough to remove to get a clean refinish.
Sand chips smooth and re-apply right over after a thorough degrease, but it won't be as 'new' looking.

A light blasting with walnut shells, or baking soda blast can take it off without damaging parts underneath. Or find a place that does dry-ice blasting. It'll take off paint and residue but not typically harm metals finishes underneath. It'll wear on plastic though, so care needs to be taken.

Chemical strippers can work too, but some will attack anodized finishes and plastics. Those which don't hurt anodize (aluminum) will most often eat plastics. Sometimes multiple modes of attack are best. I'd get with a good painter/coater and let them perform it.

Me, I just let it wear :D

Stuff is a pain to touch up cleanly. Mostly because it adheres so well, and is tough to remove to get a clean refinish.
Sand chips smooth and re-apply right over after a thorough degrease, but it won't be as 'new' looking.

A light blasting with walnut shells, or baking soda blast can take it off without damaging parts underneath. Or find a place that does dry-ice blasting. It'll take off paint and residue but not typically harm metals finishes underneath. It'll wear on plastic though, so care needs to be taken.

Chemical strippers can work too, but some will attack anodized finishes and plastics. Those which don't hurt anodize (aluminum) will most often eat plastics. Sometimes multiple modes of attack are best. I'd get with a good painter/coater and let them perform it.

Me, I just let it wear :D
I came to the same conclusion, I am just gonna keep letting wear off and rock it as is! My last one looks like it rode under the seat in a pickup truck for years and she still goes bang! Ugly as home made sin but super reliable.

I came to the same conclusion, I am just gonna keep letting wear off and rock it as is! My last one looks like it rode under the seat in a pickup truck for years and she still goes bang! Ugly as home made sin but super reliable.
It's called character. Guns can have some too.

Guy gets stopped at a TSA checkpoint for having an unloaded handgun in his carry on.

Pulled the story up and saw this picture... I'm sure the same thing is going through your mind as went through mine.

Enjoy

TSA Dulles HG.jpg

Guy gets stopped at a TSA checkpoint for having an unloaded handgun in his carry on.

Pulled the story up and saw this picture... I'm sure the same thing is going through your mind as went through mine.

Enjoy

View attachment 1715918127
Well clearly it has been in his carry on for quite some time. hehehehe

Gobblers are raising a ruckus down in the valley this morning...

I had dropped this into the random pictures thread but thought I share it here as well...

WP_20160430_001.jpg

So my neighbor is going Elk hunting this year for first time ever. He is super excited and really wants to harvest an Elk using ammo he creates. He has never done any kind of reloading. He has bribed me with beer to help him and use all my equipment. We are starting with brass prep. Since wife is not home I recruited her baking pan as I can’t seem to find mine presently! He is using a 30-06 his Grandfather gave him. Pre 64 Winchester model 70, pure classic.

83BF92AE-7F93-4AB7-877D-D3EBAD19760A.jpeg

C34B7590-C8E2-47CB-B5C4-3AAC16BCCD78.jpeg

FA8E58F5-BB7C-42C5-AC98-126CB05148B5.jpeg

-
Back