Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
I have not, and I do not know anyone who has. Zero help here from the cheap seats. I say try it and give us a review!

I got some. Tiny little bottles. I wanted to try as a cheaper alternative to a fiber optic front sight more than the night sight qualities. Right now all of my Pistols are white 3 dots.

20220728_143432.jpg

20220728_143932.jpg

So question to the group, no idea how many train with NODs but I am looking to get a new IR illuminator. Anybody use one they really like? Mine got in a small dispute with some masonry block. Considering the Steiner?

Sorry... Nothing since I rolled with the industrial strength versions.....

So ,
I am not sure if this is where I should post this but I am in the market for a decent
4-12 scope for a deer rifle.
It is a Remington model 7 in 6mm rem.
This gun was a great shooter for me 20 years ago, been in the safe since.
Been hunting with 30-30 since but I need to call long distance.

This Rifle is dependable to kill pies at 300.

Please advise, All ears

So ,
I am not sure if this is where I should post this but I am in the market for a decent

Please advise, All ears
I just sighted in a pre 64 model 70 that the owner had just mounted new vortex scope on it. I want to say he paid right at 300 dollars for it. It had nice glass and held zero. As far as scopes go the first question is what is budget? Do you want one that ties to app on your phone or watch for drop? Or more traditional like the one I just worked on. What I am seeing right now at our range is a resurgence of Leupold, and Vortex is ruling the roost. Both have scopes that cost thousands and “normal” scopes that are a few hundred bucks.

I got some. Tiny little bottles. I wanted to try as a cheaper alternative to a fiber optic front sight more than the night sight qualities. Right now all of my Pistols are white 3 dots.

View attachment 1715962440

View attachment 1715962441
Interesting. Let us know. Also if you like the 3 white dots to begin with (outdoor, good light).
I didn't like the three dots. Swapped them out for properly sized traditional notched from Warren.
But the indoor range is not well lit. So I've been using a dab of orange left over from the instrument panel gage touch up. Also orange targets. I think green might provide a sharper edge to focus on, but might be slower to pickup? if speed on aquisition was the highest priority.

Interesting. Let us know. Also if you like the 3 white dots to begin with (outdoor, good light).
I didn't like the three dots. Swapped them out for properly sized traditional notched from Warren.
But the indoor range is not well lit. So I've been using a dab of orange left over from the instrument panel gage touch up. Also orange targets. I think green might provide a sharper edge to focus on, but might be slower to pickup? if speed on aquisition was the highest priority.
That was same basis for my curiosity, I used some neon toe nail polish. Be interested in his results.

I just sighted in a pre 64 model 70 that the owner had just mounted new vortex scope on it. I want to say he paid right at 300 dollars for it. It had nice glass and held zero. As far as scopes go the first question is what is budget? Do you want one that ties to app on your phone or watch for drop? Or more traditional like the one I just worked on. What I am seeing right now at our range is a resurgence of Leupold, and Vortex is ruling the roost. Both have scopes that cost thousands and “normal” scopes that are a few hundred bucks.
I have a Vortex 3x9 on my 22 that I use to rid the yard of armadillos. It is pretty clear scope for what it is. I may look at what they have to offer.
I was hoping to spend no more than $200 but I think this may not be doable.
I have a Leapold that is 6.5 to 24 but I was hoping to save that for a 308 I am putting together.
I am not really interested in all the latest gadgets and do not think I need any kind of drop compensator for the 6mm.
The acreage I hunt on will not ever require a shot over 200yds.

And what are you doing with neon toenail polish?:poke:
Hah! I actually had some that I painted keys with, so as to tell them apart. Funny story, as many know I played ice hockey for a great many years. One of our guys lost a bet and had to rock toe nail polish for a game. Hockey players are a superstitious lot. We ended up winning the tournament and as a result he wore nail polish to every tournament after that for years! Hah!

I have a Vortex 3x9 on my 22 that I use to rid the yard of armadillos. It is pretty clear scope for what it is. I may look at what they have to offer.
I was hoping to spend no more than $200 but I think this may not be doable.
I have a Leapold that is 6.5 to 24 but I was hoping to save that for a 308 I am putting together.
I am not really interested in all the latest gadgets and do not think I need any kind of drop compensator for the 6mm.
The acreage I hunt on will not ever require a shot over 200yds.
$200 is going to be tough to get a "good" scope new. Don't discount the older Redfields and Burris, they are good scopes and usually not too expensive. Leupolds are usually a pretty safe bet too, but I haven't had one of the newer ones. Vortex are solid scopes for the money.

$200 is going to be tough to get a "good" scope new. Don't discount the older Redfields and Burris, they are good scopes and usually not too expensive. Leupolds are usually a pretty safe bet too, but I haven't had one of the newer ones. Vortex are solid scopes for the money.

Sometimes you can luck out cruising pawn shops in the area... provided you know what you're looking for to assess the scope's condition. Glass is pricey..but I think as someone said earlier, if your engagement range is under 200 yards or your rifle isn't a tack driver then maybe a Burris or Bushnell puts you on target.

So ,

Please advise, All ears
Another thing I just thought of is a lot of your non big box gun shops (think mom and pop) will have a rack of used scopes they have removed from trade ins. You might cruise those kind of shops in your area. They do not move a lot of used scopes so often times they get pretty flexible on cost? Don’t be afraid to make an offer that is below tag price.

I’m a Leupold guy but do have a couple of Vortex, too. Have one on my AR10. Seems to be good.

I have a line on half off MSRP on a company called ZeroTech. I bought one of their red dots, but haven’t shot it yet.

My new side are, I bet it will shoot, trigger safety and fire locations works, 20 dollars from a rummage sale

16591166284468227417984373788271.jpg

16591166591732683521638931717763.jpg

My wall hanger, but I do want to get me a few caps and fire it

16591182733457767212654683161930.jpg

-
Back