Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
.50 cal?
I have a perfect except for rifling marks Sierra .308 155gr Match King that bounced off the top of the 1000yd berm, hit the target frame sideways, and dropped to the ground at my feet. Looks like you could load it back up and send it downrange except for the stripes. Yup, they are smoking hot for a while.

I put this on “lay-away” while I waited to become 21, or old enough for the permit to carry. It is my first- I thought it was beautiful before I ever knew anything about 1911’s or handguns in general. This hunk of metal accompanies me on motel nightstands 30 years later….
E3E683DD-53BE-4D96-B36D-FA112D438CAF.jpeg

Our “little” chocolate lab Bandit. And my favorite handgun, 1944 Mauser HSC .32acp. Is has these eagles stamped in it, I’m guessing it’s American:rolleyes:

A7D83553-8911-4DE9-81AC-7DD97DC4FDD0.jpeg

F6F4B82B-1B0E-40AC-B187-8C5A133AA46E.jpeg

I put this on “lay-away” while I waited to become 21, or old enough for the permit to carry. It is my first- I thought it was beautiful before I ever knew anything about 1911’s or handguns in general. This hunk of metal accompanies me on motel nightstands 30 years later….View attachment 1715976027
that one picture contains all the answers to all the problems in the world

I put this on “lay-away” while I waited to become 21, or old enough for the permit to carry. It is my first- I thought it was beautiful before I ever knew anything about 1911’s or handguns in general. This hunk of metal accompanies me on motel nightstands 30 years later….View attachment 1715976027
Just plain hard to beat that! Merica!

I might just have to get this t-shirt
20899755?$pdp-gallery-ng$.jpg

My Brats have always got a Lab of some manner runnin' round their back yard and Shiner is tops on my list for adult beverages :lol:

I don't believe I've seen any posts on reloading. I was looking into it back in the 1980s, but some twists and turn of life placed reloading on the back burner. I've gone full circle now...time to get into reloading my own.

I remember RCBS and it looks like they are still around. Any other equipment companies to consider? I would do various handgun rounds from 38 through 44 magnum and various rifle rounds from 6.5mm through 8mm.

The equipment doesn't have to be for fast production, but it needs to be tough, reliable and produce good results. Availability of parts/dies and serviceable items is important to meThanks in advance

RCBS, Hornady, and Lee are main one with each having a niche IMO. Dillon is the bomb for high production rate but $$. It’s not cheap to get started with any of the brands for a complete set up to do rifle or pistol but it generally pays off in the end if you load enough rounds. Plus the quality of the ammo is typically better than what you can get from the factory if you pay attention

I am guessing you got it covered but mounting your red dot to a AR platform is very easy. Don’t attach your lower, mount your optic with correct eye relief then you can literally look right thru the upper, center the circle of light in the shadow ring on same object you are dialing red dot to then assemble and you will be pretty close, fine tune a bit with live ammo. The hardest part is not moving the rifle as you toggle your head between looking thru bbl and looking thru red dot. Duct tape helps secure the upper! Hah! Using this method saves a lot of ammo!

Also for the love of god Mount your optic to the receiver and the receiver only. Too many knuckle heads mounting their optic to their hand guard or bridging it between the two.

Been throwing around the idea of building a 9mm ar15. What barrel length would yall go with? Im thinking 8 inch (pistol lower of course) the 4.5 looks pretty good tho.

I don't believe I've seen any posts on reloading. I was looking into it back in the 1980s, but some twists and turn of life placed reloading on the back burner. I've gone full circle now...time to get into reloading my own.

I remember RCBS and it looks like they are still around. Any other equipment companies to consider? I would do various handgun rounds from 38 through 44 magnum and various rifle rounds from 6.5mm through 8mm.

The equipment doesn't have to be for fast production, but it needs to be tough, reliable and produce good results. Availability of parts/dies and serviceable items is important to meThanks in advance

Keep good records of what you produce and take notes on how the particular firearm likes them. It's a lot like hot rodding. Two grains of powder or a .001" change in the seating depth of the bullet can move that hot rod Winchester from the 9s into the 8s :D. That same change may not help your partner's hot rod at all. I never had a turret press, but knew others that did. I grew leery of them when i saw the remains of a brand new Ruger .357 that got hold of some accidentally double charged .38 special target loads, luckily nothing but hurt feelings involved in that mishap. Not just a one time incident, upon inspection after there were 2 bricks just like the perpetrator. Handloader's Digest was my friend :D, his Hornady and Speer buddies were never far away :D.

Been throwing around the idea of building a 9mm ar15. What barrel length would yall go with? Im thinking 8 inch (pistol lower of course) the 4.5 looks pretty good tho.

I sent you a PM about building a pistol right now but I’ll throw in my .02 about barrel length. I have a handful of AR’s with different barrel lengths. To me anything under 12” just isn’t ideal when it comes to handling the gun. I like my left hand to be pretty far forward on the handgrip with a c grip. On my 10” barrel my hand feels like it’s right on the mag well.

Apologies for delayed response as I have been moving from ND home to Ark. I love reloading. As a competitive shooter you simply have to. Rather than discuss all the responses you got let’s just say they were all good and I did not see any of them that did not make sense. I am actually a card carrying NRA metallic cartridge reloading instructor. It is my favorite class to teach but very little interest in it. Most folks watch a couple of you tube videos and dive in. Starting with a solid single stage press is truly a great way to start. Won’t be long you will be eyeing a progressive tho. If you can swing it Dillion is the cats Jammie’s. In the end you will end up with both. I use Dillion on my progressives and I run RCBS for my single stage. Here are a couple of other hints from a guy who has reloaded since the seventies.
Case inspection is key, just do it
Two scales is mandatory, always verify powder charge. I use one digital and one beam (RCBS)
An automated powder charge system for single stages makes it a lot easier.
Use the RCBS primer machine vs the hand held. Basically same cost and way less fatigue
You need at least three reloading books from different manufacturers. You will be amazed at the disparity between them.
You can mount your press on a cutting board then just clamp the board to your bench so you do not tie up precious bench space.
Invest in case checker, allows you to drop a finished round in to ensure it is correctly resized. I use Lyman for those
Be sure and have good lighting.
you will need a good set of calipers, digital or dial makes no difference.
Get a deburring tool.
You will need a bullet puller hammer
Go carbide on the dies I use both RCBS and Dillion.
If you want a pix of how my bench is set up let me know.
Wear safety glasses and no bourbon at the bench!

Apologies for delayed response as I have been moving from ND home to Ark. I love reloading. As a competitive shooter you simply have to. Rather than discuss all the responses you got let’s just say they were all good and I did not see any of them that did not make sense. I am actually a card carrying NRA metallic cartridge reloading instructor. It is my favorite class to teach but very little interest in it. Most folks watch a couple of you tube videos and dive in. Starting with a solid single stage press is truly a great way to start. Won’t be long you will be eyeing a progressive tho. If you can swing it Dillion is the cats Jammie’s. In the end you will end up with both. I use Dillion on my progressives and I run RCBS for my single stage. Here are a couple of other hints from a guy who has reloaded since the seventies.
Case inspection is key, just do it
Two scales is mandatory, always verify powder charge. I use one digital and one beam (RCBS)
An automated powder charge system for single stages makes it a lot easier.
Use the RCBS primer machine vs the hand held. Basically same cost and way less fatigue
You need at least three reloading books from different manufacturers. You will be amazed at the disparity between them.
You can mount your press on a cutting board then just clamp the board to your bench so you do not tie up precious bench space.
Invest in case checker, allows you to drop a finished round in to ensure it is correctly resized. I use Lyman for those
Be sure and have good lighting.
you will need a good set of calipers, digital or dial makes no difference.
Get a deburring tool.
You will need a bullet puller hammer
Go carbide on the dies I use both RCBS and Dillion.
If you want a pix of how my bench is set up let me know.
Wear safety glasses and no bourbon at the bench!
Thank you very much for your informative reply!!! Looks like I have some homework assignments!

I had my newest old toy out to the range yesterday. I was primarily checking out a couple different bullet diameters (.354 and .355) to see if she had a preference. It looks like she prefers .355 and 48 grains of IMR4064. This 3 shot group was done at 50 yards with a peep sight. I'm a happy camper! This Mannlicher carbine was made in 1913. She's going out into the PA woods this year.

IMG-5099.JPG

IMG-5064 (2).jpg

IMG-5062 (3).jpg

I had my newest old toy out to the range yesterday. I was primarily checking out a couple different bullet diameters (.354 and .355) to see if she had a preference. It looks like she prefers .355 and 48 grains of IMR4064. This 3 shot group was done at 50 yards with a peep sight. I'm a happy camper! This Mannlicher carbine was made in 1913. She's going out into the PA woods this year.

View attachment 1715980264

View attachment 1715980265

View attachment 1715980266
I finally had my newest used toy out after owning it for a month and a half. My first Canik and I like it a lot. Doogie is mostly responsible for me buying it, although He probably doesnt know!

20220905_164518.jpg

I finally had my newest used toy out after owning it for a month and a half. My first Canik and I like it a lot. Doogie is mostly responsible for me buying it, although He probably doesnt know!

View attachment 1715981424

I honestly don’t recall even talking about that gun on this website but they are great pistols for the money. Awesome trigger.

-
Back