Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
I have one of the Canik TP9 SFx. It's my first foray into a 9mm and I like it pretty much. Will be my house or truck gun, I prefer my 1911's for carry. I like that the plate can be removed to install a dot sight and I am putting a Holosun 507c on it to give that technology a whirl. If I like it, I will put on on my 1911 in 45 Super and 460 Rowland that I used for deer hunting. I was going to get rid of my Shield 45 now that I have the Canik, but then I came to my senses...
I recently took the plunge and migrated to red dot on pistols, the conversion between my ears was the hardest part. Once I got past that I really really like it. Wonderful bit of technology for old tired eyes. In fact I liked it so much I ended up getting an instructor rating on red dot. Be patient and practice you will love the Holosun.

My brother gets a cruise in almost nightly as the weather is OK. .69 Chevelle convertible

His dog rides in the back....

IMG_2533.jpg

i know its a bit early, but lets consider Christmas presents here

im thinking of buying my boy a gun, something of the "hiking carabine" type

i know he would love the Henry ar-9

H002-US-Survival-hero-1-scaled.jpg

the cool thing about this gun is that the barrel, magazines and trigger group all fit into the stock, in a water tight compartment
the downside is it is a .22
cheap and fun to shoot but low on take down power

along those lines, im sure i could get a ruger 10/22 in a take down stock and he would be set for life trying to customize that

my second contender is the kel-tec sub-2000 (in a 9MM)
219653.jpg

slightly more powerful, but perhaps not as easily packable?
could also be had in a .40 S&W
of course, the larger the caliber, the more pennies per shot

im open to suggestions (and offers if you got one for sale)

View attachment 1715989667

the cool thing about this gun is that the barrel, magazines and trigger group all fit into the stock, in a water tight compartment

along those lines, im sure i could get a ruger 10/22 in a take down stock and he would be set for life trying to customize that

View attachment 1715989668

Cool little pieces. I guess the thing I look for is the intended function. If it's truly to use as a "survival" rifle then the stock-packed one in a pistol caliber is handy. That being it is compact, can be a single caliber across hand and long gun, easy to toss into a pack but not intended for immediate use.

Otherwise, weight and dimensions matter. Long movements with rifle and pack can be a challenge so weight matters. carrying additional .22 rimfire ammo is almost negligible if you're just tossing an extra box of 100 somewhere.

Cool little pieces. I guess the thing I look for is the intended function. If it's truly to use as a "survival" rifle then the stock-packed one in a pistol caliber is handy. That being it is compact, can be a single caliber across hand and long gun, easy to toss into a pack but not intended for immediate use.

Otherwise, weight and dimensions matter. Long movements with rifle and pack can be a challenge so weight matters. carrying additional .22 rimfire ammo is almost negligible if you're just tossing an extra box of 100 somewhere.
excellent points

i think the 9mm is a more rounded caliber (not to mention the kel-tec uses glock magazines, so if he doesnt mind carrying one of those as a pistol the cross over is even easier)

as for packing, the Henry is 3.5 pounds, empty
the kel-tec is 4.25

they both have 16.25 inch barrels, so size is about the same

For small game hunting a .22 rules. Average .22 rifle is much more accurate than any 9mm carbine to 50 yds. For larger varmints and game you are talking a centerfire rifle of some sort with some states having a minimum caliber requirement. A .22lr is a LOT cheaper to shoot than any centerfire unless you are casting your own bullets and reloading all your ammo and then it may be a push with the cost of powder and primers these days. In my mind for a kid to go have fun a .22lr can't be beat and a Ruger 10/22 would be at top of the list and Marlin M60 second for affordable plinkers. Best accuracy will usually come from a bolt action, but there are exceptions.

For small game hunting a .22 rules. Average .22 rifle is much more accurate than any 9mm carbine to 50 yds. For larger varmints and game you are talking a centerfire rifle of some sort with some states having a minimum caliber requirement. A .22lr is a LOT cheaper to shoot than any centerfire unless you are casting your own bullets and reloading all your ammo and then it may be a push with the cost of powder and primers these days. In my mind for a kid to go have fun a .22lr can't be beat and a Ruger 10/22 would be at top of the list and Marlin M60 second for affordable plinkers. Best accuracy will usually come from a bolt action, but there are exceptions.

Long ago, before banks were open on Saturdays and ATMs were just somebody's fantasy. We were working a flood control job on the Tijuana River in San Ysidro, Ca. Worked way late Friday, banks closed, needed cash. Gemco, the big department store would cash paychecks "With Purchase". So I wandered back to the sporting goods section.
th?id=OIP.jpg
and cashed my check :lol:

View attachment 1715989667

View attachment 1715989668

Well to echo others it is all about intended use. To that end a 22lr is tuff to beat for what you are wanting it to do. My vote would be either of the take down 22s. And as an aside having worked literally thousands of hours as an RSO on a public range all I will add is I will not allow any of the members of my family to shoot a Kel Tec if I am anywhere close.

219653-jpg.jpg

I like mine in 9mm, it folds right up and hides well in my backpack. I can easily hit steel at 100 yards, I have hit steel at 200 with it.

Well to echo others it is all about intended use. To that end a 22lr is tuff to beat for what you are wanting it to do. My vote would be either of the take down 22s. And as an aside having worked literally thousands of hours as an RSO on a public range all I will add is I will not allow any of the members of my family to shoot a Kel Tec if I am anywhere close.
Cause it takes Glock clips:poke::lol:

learnt on one of these
th?id=OIP.jpg

Winchester model 69 22 LR. 40s vintage, my father bought it when he was a kid. Very very accurate. 22 short to LR all feed great. It wasn't perfect when I got it from Dad, the bluing had vanished and the stock had been broke somehow by he and his brothers right through the pistol grip. They fixed it with some piano wire lookin' stuff and electrician's tape :lol:. I repaired and refinished the stock, the patina of the barrel and action I left in place.

learnt on one of these
View attachment 1715990017
Winchester model 69 22 LR. 40s vintage, my father bought it when he was a kid. Very very accurate. 22 short to LR all feed great. It wasn't perfect when I got it from Dad, the bluing had vanished and the stock had been broke somehow by he and his brothers right through the pistol grip. They fixed it with some piano wire lookin' stuff and electrician's tape :lol:. I repaired and refinished the stock, the patina of the barrel and action I left in place.
I think we all probable learned to shoot a rifle with the 22 WRF. My greatest memories of learning to shoot was with a side by side 410.
My dad would take me to a remote village dump site and I would hide under a cardboard box for a while and bust out blasting at the crows. Probably illegal as hell but sure was fun for a 12 year old. THEN came the 06. Good memories. I remember pulling the trigger on that 721 like it was yesterday. The ground was covered in borate from a recent burn but the fauna was plush. Propped on a stump near a cliff shooting across the river into Glacier National Park. Ha. Started life as a rebel. :elmer::thumbsup:

Every animal on this continent has been killed with a 22. My vote is for the 22.
I have not owned one yet, but I would think the over under 22/410 would be the best idea for survival.

I learned on a sears and roebuck Model 42 DL 22 short/long bolt action.

-
Back