Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
I think we all probable learned to shoot a rifle with the 22 WRF. My greatest memories of learning to shoot was with a side by side 410.
My dad would take me to a remote village dump site and I would hide under a cardboard box for a while and bust out blasting at the crows. Probably illegal as hell but sure was fun for a 12 year old. THEN came the 06. Good memories. I remember pulling the trigger on that 721 like it was yesterday. The ground was covered in borate from a recent burn but the fauna was plush. Propped on a stump near a cliff shooting across the river into Glacier National Park. Ha. Started life as a rebel. :elmer::thumbsup:
I had an antique 22/410 over under around 80...used to pick apart stuff with that ol gal. Don't know what happened to her. I'm sure it was stolen after Dad died. Like everything else was....

Here is yours truly at work. We had a open house this weekend, just under 100 shooters came to the event. We did shirt 30-60 mini clinics all day long. Someone would ask us could you do a this or that class. We would say yep and do it impromptu. Everything from precision shooting, then how to clean an AR, and several red dot sessions. Great day, but it was serious big hat weather! Lots of sun. It was perfect! We had several multi generational shooters from same family. I had a blast working with the father son teams!

7C71F457-D80A-4703-96A2-2BD94F58132F.jpeg

31F24DBA-C50E-4275-B284-C6835A853C26.jpeg

989C247C-0F24-4614-A48A-C2BDAD2218FB.jpeg

A24CB6E4-8ADB-497D-9C93-60A20EDFC6FB.jpeg

18390D66-24CF-4770-AA09-BCA98921BCB9.jpeg

977F6476-7027-44FF-BFF6-D3CB0857D5AC.jpeg

1DA7C6A9-3C04-485B-9AA6-6258B1EA565B.jpeg

5F36A99F-F1AB-4868-B969-EFA264788E75.jpeg

0BDA6F05-F95A-404F-AC40-58A0BAF2619E.jpeg

Here is yours truly at work. We had a open house this weekend, just under 100 shooters came to the event. We did shirt 30-60 mini clinics all day long. Someone would ask us could you do a this or that class. We would say yep and do it impromptu. Everything from precision shooting, then how to clean an AR, and several red dot sessions. Great day, but it was serious big hat weather! Lots of sun. It was perfect! We had several multi generational shooters from same family. I had a blast working with the father son teams!

View attachment 1715993923

View attachment 1715993924

View attachment 1715993925

View attachment 1715993926

View attachment 1715993927

View attachment 1715993928

View attachment 1715993929

View attachment 1715993930

View attachment 1715993931
Just curious but why do you have your first aid kid down in your ankle?

Just curious but why do you have your first aid kid down in your ankle?
So that is a trauma pack made by some buddies over at Frog Pro. If I am competing, or on the range and it is a live fire event I wear it. As an instructor or a RSO it is our responsibility to administer first aid rapidly if needed. Often times at ranges the first aid kit is 100s of yards away. By having it on my ankle I can be both mobile and always ready. I have enough junk around my waist if I am in full battle rattle. I wear suspenders already to distribute my load to my shoulders. I do not like hanging weight on my waist. Long story short it is just easier for me and more comfortable, after awhile you have no idea it is even on your leg. Plus I am just plain lazy so having it always with me saves all them steps fetching stop leak from the aid station!

Hi Folks. I pulled the trigger on another obsolete cartridge rifle last week. I'm hoping that I can pick it up on Saturday. The rifle is a Ross model 1910 straight pull sporting rifle in .280 Ross. This was the first cartridge to propel a 140-gr bullet at over 3,000 fps. This is the grand dad of the 7mm magnum. Pretty cool for 1910. I tracked down a set of reloading dies and some brass. I have cartridges assembled for the range. Here's a pic of it on the right compared to a 30.06. I add pics of the rifle after I get it in my hands.

IMG-5173.jpg

Hi Folks. I pulled the trigger on another obsolete cartridge rifle last week. I'm hoping that I can pick it up on Saturday. The rifle is a Ross model 1910 straight pull sporting rifle in .280 Ross. This was the first cartridge to propel a 140-gr bullet at over 3,000 fps. This is the grand dad of the 7mm magnum. Pretty cool for 1910. I tracked down a set of reloading dies and some brass. I have cartridges assembled for the range. Here's a pic of it on the right compared to a 30.06. I add pics of the rifle after I get it in my hands.

View attachment 1715994500
I would love to see a pix once you get her home. Are you going to tear it all down and recondition it or is it the kind of piece that a rebuild detracts from the value?

I plan on doing on keeping her as a survivor. I will tear her apart and maximize her appearance. I don't want her to look brand new. It's much more fun to keep some of the patina, especially since I plan to take the rifle out in the woods. It's a cool piece of history. She has a built-in pop-up peep sight on the rear of the receiver. The 280 was a flat shooting round. The rear blade sight is 2 leaves. The first leaf is calibrated from 0-500 (meters I suspect.)

I plan on doing on keeping her as a survivor. I will tear her apart and maximize her appearance. I don't want her to look brand new. It's much more fun to keep some of the patina, especially since I plan to take the rifle out in the woods. It's a cool piece of history. She has a built-in pop-up peep sight on the rear of the receiver. The 280 was a flat shooting round. The rear blade sight is 2 leaves. The first leaf is calibrated from 0-500 (meters I suspect.)
280 certainly is/was ballistically a great round in all of its different variations. Rifles and ammo have sure come a long way in this last 100 years or so but in the end they are still doing essentially the exact same thing as they were 100 years ago. Some guys take old iron sights to an absolute art form. There is just something intrinsically beautiful about turn of the century innovation and technology. Congrats on the new addition to your collection.

I don't think that it was all of them, but some of the Ross rifles could be reassembled incorrectly and the bolt could not latch correctly when fired with very bad effect on the shooter. Make sure you look into that, I think there is plenty of literature on the issue. I think the Ross is a neat piece and would love to have one. I like the odd ones. I have a 1881 Swiss Vetterli 10.4x38 (41 Swiss) that I converted to centerfire and make cases from .348 Win. I'm in process of making a mount for a Fecker 6x long tube scope to fit to it and wring the most out if it. I've used a 280 Remington for 30+ years with great results. But as was mentioned, none of these new cartridges due much that the 100+ year old versions can't do, except may sell more guns and ammo to guys that probably don't "need" another one. But we never let that stop us, do we.

Hi gzig5.
I'm well versed on the correct assembly of the M10 bolt but I thank you for your advice. I will inspect the rifle when it arrives to make sure that it is assembled correctly. I might be able to have a range day on Monday.

Any one know of a online dealer that has 32 mag ammo in stock.

I had my threesome of old girls out to the range yesterday. Top is a 1913 Simson & Suhl Commercial Mauser sporting rifle in 8mm (.318). Middle is my Mannlicher model 1905 made in 1920 in 6.5mm. Bottom is my 1910 Mannlicher made in 1913 in 9.5mm. The 6.5 gave me the best group that I have ever had at 100 yards with open sights. Just under 1 inch. My load is 129 gr Hornady Spire Points with 33.5 grains of 4064. It was a good day!

IMG-5258.jpg

IMG-5260.jpg

IMG-5261.JPG

I had my threesome of old girls out to the range yesterday. Top is a 1913 Simson & Suhl Commercial Mauser sporting rifle in 8mm (.318). Middle is my Mannlicher model 1905 made in 1920 in 6.5mm. Bottom is my 1910 Mannlicher made in 1913 in 9.5mm. The 6.5 gave me the best group that I have ever had at 100 yards with open sights. Just under 1 inch. My load is 129 gr Hornady Spire Points with 33.5 grains of 4064. It was a good day!

View attachment 1715995600

View attachment 1715995601

View attachment 1715995602
Me like Bolt guns :thumbsup:

I default to Ammoseek usually.

.32 H&R Mag Ammo
Some advice...sign up and get an account so you can view the ratings. There are several shady companies with UNBELIEVABLE prices that keep opening up new ammo companies under different names. If they dont have at least 80 reviews be wary. I dont deal with anyone with less than a 4 star rating and 100 reviews. You can usually spot the bogus 5 star reviews that the company employees and friends post. They charge your card, send the wrong ammo, or short the order to frustrate you into a return. And kill you with restocking fees. I have about 10 ammo places on block so they dont show up in my search.

Some advice...sign up and get an account so you can view the ratings. There are several shady companies with UNBELIEVABLE prices that keep opening up new ammo companies under different names. If they dont have at least 80 reviews be wary. I dont deal with anyone with less than a 4 star rating and 100 reviews. You can usually spot the bogus 5 star reviews that the company employees and friends post. They charge your card, send the wrong ammo, or short the order to frustrate you into a return. And kill you with restocking fees. I have about 10 ammo places on block so they dont show up in my search.
no kidding, i shot myself in the foot with one of those companies
ordered a trigger (didnt quite know the going rate for those) and a brick of 9MM with a price that was almost too good to be true, but just high enough to not be an obvious scam

long story short, do not order from a place called ammodepotma.com

I usually stick to the known named ones. There is usually one or two at the top, not always though.

But that is something I had not heard.

View attachment 1715995600

View attachment 1715995601

View attachment 1715995602
Wow just honking wow! That is a beautiful set of rifles! And nobody can complain about that group with iron sights! Well done Sir!

-
Back