Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
Ok. Retriever vs pointer vs spaniel?

My kids grew up with Louie. A well bred golden retriever who's Dam and Sire were of amateur field champion pedigree. He believed he was a middle child. And watched over all 4. Even scolled them when they miss behaved.

My one pheasant hunt excursion with him brought us to a field. He tracked and then flushed a pheasant as on cue. I of course missed. And the look on his face? "I can't bring you anywhere you dumb human." We were making out way back, when a father son on same field flushed and hit a bird. They had no dog. But Louie saw where bird landed. And went and got it. They of course looked concerned. But I pointed to them where he delivered. They of said. "Nice dog. Very well trained." I of course said "Thank you." But truth? Except for dummy training in yard. There was no training. He was just bred far better at hunting birds than I.

So my vote? Retriever. Lol.

I would love to watch you guys work.

I love tooling and wish I had payed more attention to that stuff.

What I think of as perfect is so far from what you guys do... what do your cars look like?

Gezum crow....
My guns look far better than my cars lol I consider myself good at the mechanical side of stuff I can figure out how things work pretty well. But I suck at body work. I cannot feel and see the things other guys see it looks good to me then when I spray paint on it it looks like crap. I figure my car when painted will be a solid 20 footer lol I can shape the crap out of piece a metal like a bolt on a gun or safety switch stuff like that but when it comes to sheet metal I suck.

I would love to watch you guys work.

I love tooling and wish I had payed more attention to that stuff.

What I think of as perfect is so far from what you guys do... what do your cars look like?

Gezum crow....
Well as for my car, I can figure out how to stuff a modern Gen 3 Hemi into a old Demon, I can maybe change grips on my pistols, can probably tear apart my AR! Hah. I read postings by Mike240 and some of these other guys building ARs or restoring vintage rifles and holy smokes it dawns on me I am a bit barbaric and heavy handed. I have a buddy who is a Nationally ranked shooter and he too builds some nice pistols. Here is where I bring the value, he will get done with one, hand it to me, tell me to shoot it over a weekend. Typically with this for an intro to the pistol “here, see if you can break this one” A man has got to know his limitations.

Ok. Retriever vs pointer vs spaniel?

My kids grew up with Louie. A well bred golden retriever who's Dam and Sire were of amateur field champion pedigree. He believed he was a middle child. And watched over all 4. Even scolled them when they miss behaved.

My one pheasant hunt excursion with him brought us to a field. He tracked and then flushed a pheasant as on cue. I of course missed. And the look on his face? "I can't bring you anywhere you dumb human." We were making out way back, when a father son on same field flushed and hit a bird. They had no dog. But Louie saw where bird landed. And went and got it. They of course looked concerned. But I pointed to them where he delivered. They of said. "Nice dog. Very well trained." I of course said "Thank you." But truth? Except for dummy training in yard. There was no training. He was just bred far better at hunting birds than I.

So my vote? Retriever. Lol.
Well I am clearly biased towards military and LEOs but if I had to pick between the three, Spaniels are just plain out, so for me it is down to retrievers or pointers. I like the sleek look of the pointers but they seem to me not as durable as the retrievers. And my experience (limited) the pointers seem a bit high strung. Reckon my vote is retrievers!

I vote for the Beagle! Love them or hate them-I live them and dearly miss the two I had!

Mine are part beagle, not a big part though. The brown one is a pit, rot, beagle mix and the white one is a terrier beagle mix.

20210519_155241.jpg

20210416_185911.jpg

20200827_174054.jpg

Seven pages in, and not one knife yet? I guess I'll post the first one. I don't have a collection of any sort but I like them, especially nice ones. My splurge as a Christmas present from me to me last year, a Randall made exactly the way I wanted. It was a fair size pile of dough but so worth it.

DSCN0904.JPG

DSCN0905.JPG

DSCN0957.JPG

Let's not get into discussing buying and selling in the thread, we don't want to set any kind of precedent, send a PM to the person with an email contact to further discuss please.

TIA

I went all out on my knife, (lol) its a Browning "The Range" Fits in that goofy extra pocket in my jeans just fine and keeps a sharp edge for while.

cq5dam.web.835.835.jpg

For sharpening, I've had very good results with the Lansky Sharpener

71Ug8wOfmlS._AC_SX679_.jpg

Seven pages in, and not one knife yet? I guess I'll post the first one. I don't have a collection of any sort but I like them, especially nice ones. My splurge as a Christmas present from me to me last year, a Randall made exactly the way I wanted. It was a fair size pile of dough but so worth it.

View attachment 1715894490

View attachment 1715894491

View attachment 1715894492

I recently scored a PVD coated S30V Buck Vanguard 'blem' for under $100. Looks like the one below, but not my image. It's a decent blade. My only complaint is that it came with the cheap nylon sheath, but that's easy to remedy.
Buck is also a local company, so it's nice to support them, even if some of their designs are out of touch (and the good ones are imports). They also do a surprising number of up-market offerings, but for some reason they're not super popular.

31WHx4BQVaL.jpg

My EDC blade changes on where I am and what I am doing.

Most days I have my Microtech Ultratech in my pocket. Some days its the Tops Cut 4.0 fixed blade on my belt. Then I have much more specialty blades for other days. One that comes to mind is for when Im actively swimming or plan on being in the water all day.

I have an addiction for nice blades.

Let me try this again...

The new photobucket up date and now I cant post pics... cool beans guys.

Last edited:
My EDC blade changes on where I am and what I am doing.

Most days I have my Microtech Ultratech in my pocket. Some days its the Tops Cut 4.0 fixed blade on my belt. Then I have much more specialty blades for other days. One that comes to mind is for when Im actively swimming or plan on being in the water all day.

I have an addiction for nice blades.

Let me try this again...
Well since you have now popped the seal on blades, my EDC is a Benchmark Griptilian with serrated edge 3 inch blade. Nice and small fits in pocket gracefully.

BA632B50-8D08-4010-A0A6-78E47BE5EC50.jpeg

View attachment 1715894490

View attachment 1715894491

View attachment 1715894492
Just can’t go wrong with that, Randall is typically a bucket list item for most folks. Super congrats!

At this point in my life I dont want any steel harder than D2.

I take a steel I can tune up on a rock vs a super steel that is a PITA to sharpen at home on the bench.

Microtech, Ultratech.

20220128_200512.jpg

Tops, cut 4.0

16389068253356710442843747122248.jpg

Fox, Folding Karambit with Emerson Wave feature.

20210610_221752.jpg

This one I dont carry often. Its super good at what its designed to do but basically sucks as a pocket knife.

Last edited:
Sorry Sir, I posted the first blade.

Post #56

Its a modern Ka Bar.

Whoops - so you did! However, if I was going to try to squirrel out of my lack of observation, I'd claim that looked like a sword more than a knife. It certainly should calm down any grizzly bears you might come across. :D

-
Back