Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
I do not. It was something I played around with for a only a short time. I truly like the benefit of retention with the ring knifes but the day to day use of the karambit was garbage.

I started carrying the Tops Cut 4.0 after that and it offers most of the advantages of the Karambit but in a package that is super useable for EDC.

The tops knife is excellent, made in USA and just fits me perfect. The sheath is nice but not great. I carry it scout style up front and its good all day, in and out of the car, what ever. I have even done some swimming with it but i dont trust the sheath and it rusted in the salt water as it is D2 steel.

The only reason Im not caring it now is i cant really wear a belt right now due to a surgery so.... no fixed blades, for now.

:)

This is the next one I will be buying as soon as I can wear a belt again.

Serpent

Im leaning heavy towards the Tanto blade lately as it is much easier for me to get them sharp by hand that other blade shapes.

Id really like to buy this one as well.

MISERICORDIA – Extremaratio

I have been itching to buy one of their knives for a few years now and I think that this is the one. But.. everytime I come super close to buying one of their knives, then something happens and I just dont.. its kinda strange.

Anyone recommend a good folder, 3.5-5 inch blade? Something that can take some serious abuse around the farm?

Anyone recommend a good folder, 3.5-5 inch blade? Something that can take some serious abuse around the farm?
Chris, that is how I ended up with the One I pictured. 3 inch blade and has a bit of serrated blade for bailer twine and banding. And they come in super bright colors which I like since I only drop mine at night in tall grass. The pictured one is green and virtually impossible to see when dropped. It is a back up! They retail at just over 100 bucks. Been farming with it for years.

Heads up Colt AR guys, this is in the April 2022 Magazine from NRA. A recall notice.

89DA7A77-E4B7-446B-8C3D-2D1732943D14.jpeg

I was a fan of benchmade and own quite a few of them. They have done a few things of late that I disagree with and I will leave it at that.

They make a fine knife tho.

16480855990085362958326291433047.jpg

This one was like 250-300? I dont think they make this one anymore.
It has their auto assist and its basicly a CA legal switchblade.

The Griptillian that Sublime posted is basicaly the Honda Civic of EDC pocket knife.

Well thats not true. Benchmade is considered "high end" by a lot of folks.

Looking at that pic reminds me.

Their customer service is a joke. I broke that knife. Well the assist function failed after a few years and I sent it and a few other benchmades in for cleaning, sharping and repairs.

They straight up lost one knife and I had to fight them on that for ever and this knife I requested they not change out the side plate as it is special to me. Well they were able to keep the side plate but they put the dang pocket clip on for right hand carry and I can not get it back off. Now I gotta send it back AGAIN!!!

I was a fan of benchmade and own quite a few of them. They have done a few things of late that I disagree with and I will leave it at that.

View attachment 1715894783

The Griptillian that Sublime posted is basicaly the Honda Civic of EDC pocket knife.

Their customer service is a joke. I broke that knife. Well the assist function failed after a few years and I sent it and a few other benchmades in for cleaning, sharping and repairs.

They straight up lost one knife and I had to fight them on that for ever and this knife I requested they not change out the side plate as it is special to me. Well they were able to keep the side plate but they put the dang pocket clip on for right hand carry and I can not get it back off. Now I gotta send it back AGAIN!!!

Benchmade is dead to me. My sent his and mine auto blades in under their forever sharp program. I was busy didn't really think about it and my kid wanted to me the favor. My 20 year old Tanto that I carried daily at work (I carried two auto blades) came back ruined and looked more like a drop point. They declined to replace the blade.

I subsequently threw it a drawer and bought two new Pro Techs and never looked back. They orient the pocket more to my liking too.

View attachment 1715894783

I am very rough on my knives. When I jumped ship from Benchmark I went to Spyderco. Took me a while to get used to their style but it’s holding up. Just pay attention to the steel.

I like spyder co.
The knife on my climbing harness is one of theirs. They are VERY good for the price.
I am also a fan of their mechanics. They are a fun knife to fidget with.

I like having the "spring assist"... very easy, single handed operation, textured grip. Also went with the Tonto blade so I can use it as a screwdriver in a pinch or chisel.

Here is an interesting Benchmade.

20220323_201242.jpg

16480919806895130488901777484193.jpg

20220323_201257.jpg

I bought two of these kinda as a joke. One for me and one for a buddy.

Turns out its not a joke.

It is a dam near perfect folder. (For my use)
Im not a fan of big knives. I dont like cold steel stuff and just think in most EDC situations they are the wrong knife.

This one is not. It is an awesome size. It has no weight, is crazy stiff and is drop shut buttery smooth and riding on bronze bushings.
The ergonomics are great. Even the funky pocket clip just works once you get used to it.

But then again benchmade comes in and scres it up...

This is one I sent back in that batch that they lost one knife, returned one knife with the clip on backwards and this one. This one came back perfect! I sent this one in due to the glass breaker falling out. The glass breaker was replaced at no charge, the blade was sharp and the pocket clip was on the correct side!

THAT DAY, the glass breaker fell out....

Common benchmade...

Maybe start drug testing?

Unreal.. How Old is that Picture? And from Where? Has the same Butt Swirl, as My Ol Baby did. I'm going to try and find some pics of her when She was Younger... BTW, BOTH COOL LOOKING DOGS!

View attachment 1715894897

View attachment 1715894898

That pic is probably 3 or 4 months old. She just had TPLO on her second knee and is still recovering. We are up to being able to walk 15 minutes at a time, twice a day now.

20220222_161341.jpg

20220222_161341.jpg

Last edited:
Well clearly I am not very picky with my knives! Hah! There just can’t be that much negative feedback without cause. We lived in Oregon for years as my wife is from there and as a result we supported Benchmade. In actual fact we retired out there our first attempt at retirement. Note to self, ensure your mind is ready to do it. Just because you are financially prepared does not mean you are mentally prepared. Epic fail on my part, I did not recognize the mental stimulation required to keep me sane. Thus the creation of our training center in Arkansas.

My dog is gone, I posted a pic of him in my cat thread but its to much to deal with, I cant look at his picture right now.

:(

Yes, a Boker. Great knife for what it is.

Boker is another company I have come very close to buying from and for one reason or another it never happens.
My cousin has a few of their knifes and the hand feel to them is amazing.

So here is a tech tip, most all ranges and certainly any match requires a chamber flag. Now you can go to your local store and purchase one for sure. As an instructor often times I need several as students typically do not have one. So I fabricate my own. A piece of weed eater string with a wire nut on the end and you have a perfectly acceptable chamber flag for no cost. Keeps your local RSO happy! PS you want a thankless gig be an RSO!

F72FC122-B7D0-4A6D-9B31-C5FDBB622D94.jpeg

425F13FC-6F0F-4A0B-86BC-A8D3A6854791.jpeg

10870DD3-A84D-4F1F-89A8-35349124D2E0.jpeg

-
Back