Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
So it occurred to me some folks may not know what I was referring to when I talked about a two part belt. Here is a pix of a typical “kit” for a match or training day. Keep in mind this is not a tactical door kicker set up. But it easily can be set up that way should need arise. The first aid kit is a ankle rig I wear at all matches and trainings. I even wear it at Cowboy Shoots where we have to dress period correct. As a CRSO and first responder no one has ever protested. In fact several have adopted it. Anyway the white tube is a product from Petzl made for rock climbers, it is super concentrated hand chalk with a high magnesium base. It is magic! The gun will not move in your hand no matter how hot or wet you are. (Ok that does not sound good) You need just a very small dab and you are good for a stage or two. The Blue is simply so I don’t screw up, different games have different holster rules. notice the difference in offset between the black and blue. The Blue holster rig is actually on sale right now at Black Scorpion for I think 60 bucks. Typically it is over 100. I thought about snagging another couple for Xmas gifts. Anyway hope this helps someone out there.

AD9C93BE-CB39-42EE-BA8F-EC4F2F00930E.jpeg

0CE8791F-DCC6-41B5-A1F8-7E0240A7A8B9.jpeg

6E858A94-6E64-4F78-96B6-39D05C4BBC60.jpeg

So it occurred to me some folks may not know what I was referring to when I talked about a two part belt. Here is a pix of a typical “kit” for a match or training day. Keep in mind this is not a tactical door kicker set up. But it easily can be set up that way should need arise. The first aid kit is a ankle rig I wear at all matches and trainings. I even wear it at Cowboy Shoots where we have to dress period correct. As a CRSO and first responder no one has ever protested. In fact several have adopted it. Anyway the white tube is a product from Petzl made for rock climbers, it is super concentrated hand chalk with a high magnesium base. It is magic! The gun will not move in your hand no matter how hot or wet you are. (Ok that does not sound good) You need just a very small dab and you are good for a stage or two. The Blue is simply so I don’t screw up, different games have different holster rules. notice the difference in offset between the black and blue. The Blue holster rig is actually on sale right now at Black Scorpion for I think 60 bucks. Typically it is over 100. I thought about snagging another couple for Xmas gifts. Anyway hope this helps someone out there.

View attachment 1715931653

View attachment 1715931654

View attachment 1715931655

Thanks, the only reason I ask is because one of my new holsters is Molle. I was planning on buying a Blue Force Gear belt but funds are tight right now.

Thanks, the only reason I ask is because one of my new holsters is Molle. I was planning on buying a Blue Force Gear belt but funds are tight right now.
You might shop around a bit, Blue Force tends to be a bit high on cost spectrum. You really just need to find a good quality belt system and there is a bunch of them. They all argue and posture that each is the best but frankly I see dozens of different brands worn every day and have yet to see a belt fail. Holsters yes, belts no. Get in some of the IDPA or USPSA forums and I bet you could find a used one very reasonable. We all trade and swap gear all the time as we get fatter! Hah!

Well I have decided to take the plunge and start a QnA thread for the topic of Guns,Dogs and Blades. The catalyst is the chatter on the AR15 thread. There is just a wealth of knowledge and experience inside FABO with regard to Firearms. Dogs and blades just kind of worked their way in. Please note, given it is a Firearms based QnA platform invariably someone will stray into politics. This thread, like so many others will get pulled and dumped into NP section in the event that happens. Please leave politics where they belong and not on this thread. Our goal is to keep this more technical based, you need advice on what lower to purchase, here is a great place to ask. What weight to set your EDC carry trigger at, where can I find a good drop in trigger, what powder are you using for 300 black out etc etc. Gear heads are gear heads, if it has nuts and bolts we will hot rod it or build our own. I own and operate a Firearms training center and have many years as an instructor and a high level competitive shooter. A lot of our members are tied to the LEO community and or the military. Thus a wide ranging spectrum of real world experience and knowledge. No one guy has all the expertise, but given the amount of great feedback on the AR 15 thread it is apparent we got folks who know stuff! From Cowboy Shooting, to Bullseye, to IDPA, to plinking in your back yard, be safe and have fun. Just some pix to get you guys going!

View attachment 1715893457

View attachment 1715893458

View attachment 1715893459

View attachment 1715893460

View attachment 1715893461

View attachment 1715893462

View attachment 1715893463

View attachment 1715893464

Anyone out there know how to rid a chocolate lab of its coat smell?
One of the things we did was introduced some organic pumpkin to the diet. The AKC website has a recipe of baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and I think dishwashing soap?You might hit their website? I just don’t remember it exactly! We have also dabbled with putting some mint oil in the shampoo bucket and that seems to work pretty well. Let us know if you find a home remedy that works. No matter what I do my hound invariably finds the rabbit poop perfume.

One of the things we did was introduced some organic pumpkin to the diet. The AKC website has a recipe of baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and I think dishwashing soap?You might hit their website? I just don’t remember it exactly! We have also dabbled with putting some mint oil in the shampoo bucket and that seems to work pretty well. Let us know if you find a home remedy that works. No matter what I do my hound invariably finds the rabbit poop perfume.

We got to talking about belt rigs so here is a pix of some Cowboy Action rigs. Depending on class the butt of the gun must go above or below belt line. A Buscadaro style places the gun lower. With old leather often times it is very gun specific. Wild Bunch allows us to use 1911s. Google Cowboy Action Shooting in your area and go watch an event. It is free and the folks are all super friendly. You will likely get the chance to shoot a stage as most are open to loaning their gear to new comers for a trial run. It is a lot of fun. Just another great side to the shooting sports. Go 2A!

6CE6F84E-BB5A-46C5-BD80-3E2C6FA52401.jpeg

A3486D07-5B7F-4EA4-BFBC-B7DAE66B7E0D.jpeg

We got to talking about belt rigs so here is a pix of some Cowboy Action rigs. Depending on class the butt of the gun must go above or below belt line. A Buscadaro style places the gun lower. With old leather often times it is very gun specific. Wild Bunch allows us to use 1911s. Google Cowboy Action Shooting in your area and go watch an event. It is free and the folks are all super friendly. You will likely get the chance to shoot a stage as most are open to loaning their gear to new comers for a trial run. It is a lot of fun. Just another great side to the shooting sports. Go 2A!

View attachment 1715935512

View attachment 1715935513

nice get up
several years ago the wife bought me a lever action .22
it is one of my kids favorite gun to shoot

I got way too many hobbies already but one day I’ll get into cowboy stuff. Already got the guns, they just don’t see the range time my rifles and carry guns do.

@Revhendo

He's right, you know.

(Thanks to Maddog Mark)

Well it is summer time and as is expected this thread is dying a horrible summer time death! Hah! We just got done with the North Dakota Cowboy Action State Championship up here. Yours truly managed to win a State title yet again this year. It was a shaggy win but a win is a win right! Here are some pix from the event, notice head not down on rifle, thumb high in air. If you want to be on podium you better not take time to aim! But ya still better hit what you are pointing at! Same thing on pistols, notice I do not bring them up to eyes to aim, essentially hip shooting. Utilizing muscle and bone alignment as aiming device. Holy smokes it is fun! And then of course there is the aftermath cleanup! Hence the last picture!

D0E77742-4DD6-4E75-8F6D-37D368911EFF.jpeg

BC8C86C4-0190-4D03-947A-B10D0433088E.jpeg

C8DF9A9A-3033-419B-BACA-23E84781A98F.jpeg

CF14CE78-4D8F-4060-B0D6-533E1E444D0E.jpeg

Then of course I got stuck working State High School Trap Championship during same weekend. North of 100 degrees I was the Chief Range Safety Officer. I was very busy as several kids succumbed to the heat. 80 plus schools and 1200 shooters. I put on well over 24,000 steps on Monday and just over 22,000 on Sunday. I was whipped!

088CE2B8-E7E8-4E79-953D-9208A2F2682F.jpeg

Then of course I got stuck working State High School Trap Championship during same weekend. North of 100 degrees I was the Chief Range Safety Officer. I was very busy as several kids succumbed to the heat. 80 plus schools and 1200 shooters. I put on well over 24,000 steps on Monday and just over 22,000 on Sunday. I was whipped!

View attachment 1715946027
Thanks for supporting the kids!

These are some of the fine folks I shoot with.

I'm still learning and still catch myself thumbing over on my rifle. I need to really work on my transitions, too. :)

I'm still learning and still catch myself thumbing over on my rifle. I need to really work on my transitions, too. :)

Transitions are a thing! Lots of little things add up to a serious reduction in time!

transitions are a thing. The more you focus on the little things the faster your time gets. Simple stuff like how you stage your lever gun on the crate. Lever off the crate so you can grab it fast! It just goes on and on! Teflon on brass so that shotgun shells fall out when expended. A bit of rock climbers chalk on your hands to keep pistols from squirming in your hands when hot and sweaty. Just keep going and watching and learning. Nice to know I got a fellow “Pard” on here! I shoot in gunfighter or senior gunfighter class. It is way more fun having a pistol in each hand!

Save that brass and box it back up for reloading
Most of us have to reload as our pistols and rifles are tuned to the point we cannot use factory ammo. I cannot even use CCI primers on mine as the firing pin strike is so light and fast I have to use federal primers. The cci are just to hard. It is a pure speed game! We go fast! It is nothing for us to have 6-8 brass in the air rocking our lever actions. Most are what is called short stroked. We change the internals so that you greatly reduce the “arc” of the lever to cycle a round. Utilizing very little movement to cycle the round thereby increasing your cyclic speed. It is just a great time.

Most of us have to reload as our pistols and rifles are tuned to the point we cannot use factory ammo. I cannot even use CCI primers on mine as the firing pin strike is so light and fast I have to use federal primers. The cci are just to hard. It is a pure speed game! We go fast! It is nothing for us to have 6-8 brass in the air rocking our lever actions. Most are what is called short stroked. We change the internals so that you greatly reduce the “arc” of the lever to cycle a round. Utilizing very little movement to cycle the round thereby increasing your cyclic speed. It is just a great time.
It's seriously like picking up 3 new hobbies at one time. The game, reloading and gunsmithing.
I look at the gunsmith part as a natural extension of hotrodding.

And Howdy Pard!

Today I am refining curriculum in preparation of launching a red dot class. Wish you guys were all closer I would have you out to our range and use you guys as my test subjects for how well the class flows.
What we actually do is gather together our instructors and red ink the curriculum that has been developed, this is about the third evolution already. Once we establish a rough finished version we as instructors take the class and participate as students. You can imagine a bunch of instructor pistoleros pretending to be students, yep just as you imagine it! We actually get some great observations in between the occasional nonsense. There is no end to the creativity and ingenious ways we can trip each other up. The majority are all X military or LEO. Nothing is sacred. At the end of the day we typically put out a darn good version and a great new class. We are seeing more and more red dots show up in our classes. Many folks mount them, then have no idea what to do next, but it looks cool. I like to think all of our classes are living organisms, we teach it, get feedback, refine it and make it better each and every time we present the material. I firmly believe by creating a truly reciprocal teaching environment the students play an active role in making us all better, the class, the instructors, and the material.
See ya on the range!

-
Back