Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
Well I have not been on here in awhile, looks you guys got it covered. Some great looking dogs for sure! We always figured Mals were just Shepard’s on crack! I just had to attach my favorite Mal Photo! Man they are high energy and high drive. And did I mention fast? Bad guys run and we just laugh! Today a Guy hired me for a private rifle class. His objective was to be able to make a torso shot at 200 yards with no magnification with his home built AR. We sorted out his mechanics and then He explained he was zeroed at 25. Humor me and let’s see it. Sailed every shot over the backer much less on paper. Had to bring him down almost twenty clicks. At this point his zero statement got a bit wish washy! Hah. Good guy, we got his dope sorted out and refined his mechanics a bunch and then we went to the two hundred yard line. We got him in the box at 200. He was ear to ear grins, explained he had never shot that far in his life. He was just plain thrilled. That is why we teach! There is a lot of satisfaction taking a guy who can’t even hit the target at fifty yards and at the end of the day he is in the box at 200 with ease. Good day on the range but holy smokes it was windy!

51E69B09-6CA4-4559-A147-617279D5033C.jpeg

40DFCB13-943D-4DD2-8E30-83AC703C8551.jpeg

We always figured Mals were just Shepard’s on crack!

That's still too funny, but true. I was chatting with a breeder a while back during my search and we were talking away and we both said "Malinois are German Shepherds on crack" at the exact same time, funny as hell.

This little gal I got is the best. It's been a week today and zero issues. She has had no real training, but I think she will catch on. I picked up two packages of chicken hot dogs today and will be making some high value treats for training. I just started with the other one today teaching him the difference between 'look' and 'watch', he has already picked up on it.

My next challenge is to learn about 35 commands in German and start teaching that as well as English.

Kenna and Chase.jpg

Ok we can’t possibly be this close to deer season and no one has asked, what is best deer rifle yet? Of course being from the South 22lr and a flashlight have taken more deer than any other combo Down here! Hah! Me personally my choice is a Ruger Superblackhawk in 44mag, single action. But alas that is not a rifle. Not sure if it is my favorite but I have taken my last several deer with a short FN patrol rifle in 308. It just always seems to be with me. As a young kid like most it was a lever action 30-30. Then I used a Remington 742 in 30-06 for years. I pistol hunted and bow hunted exclusively for a great many years and have only recently went back to a rifle. Good luck out in the deer woods gents.

LOL on the best deer rifle cartridge! Probably go with my Remington 700 .308 or my Remington 700 laminated stainless mountain rifle in .260 Remington. Or my Remington 700 in .257 Roberts. See a trend here yet? I do have .350 Legend on an AR platform that might get some time in the woods, too. I like a bit of variety.

LOL on the best deer rifle cartridge! Probably go with my Remington 700 .308 or my Remington 700 laminated stainless mountain rifle in .260 Remington. Or my Remington 700 in .257 Roberts. See a trend here yet? I do have .350 Legend on an AR platform that might get some time in the woods, too. I like a bit of variety.
You had me at 260 or the 257 Both are personal favorites of mine. The Robert’s is in my opinion one of the most under rated calibers there is.

Yes, the Roberts is very underrated. I have my dad’s Remington 722 in .257 here, as well. My brother has a Ruger Model 1 in .257 Roberts. I’ve hand loaded some rounds for that one that went sub 0.50” groups at 100 yards. My Mountain Rifle will hold its own, too, even with a light barrel.

Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in .280 Rem has been knocking them down for me for thirty years. Before that was my Dad's Rem 700 in .270 which my brother uses now. I also have taken several deer with my 1992 SuperBlackhawk Hunter .44 Mag but it is a bit of a tank so I am going to transition to a 460 Rowland with a Holosun 507C on my Kimber 1911. A 250gr WFN .45 cal lead bullet at 1300 fps seems sufficient. One of these years I might use one of the ARs but they don't handle as sleekly as a traditional bolt gun or lever rifle.

Last edited:
My favorite lately is the 6.8 on an AR frame.
Very happy with that round for deer.
Otherwise, I'm throwing razors.

For elk, I do like my 44 super red hawk.
But again, I prefer to sling arrows.

The best deer rifle is the one you are deadly with when the target presents itself. I would pick the 243 but I do not have one. Therefore 270 is my choice. Dead nuts at 200.

Lost a good one last night. Bandit was one of the two shepherd mixes that I got out of Iraq in 2010. He was 13 years old and his brother, Charlie, is the same age and kind of lost without his brother today.
Here’s a post from cuda-challenger dotcom
Charlie and Bandit
We raised money with the help of my Mother’s dog rescue group and was able to bring them home with the help of ASPCA International’s “Operation Baghdad Pups”.
Bandit is the dog in the back, Charlie is in the foreground.
View attachment 1715996904
Damn Man, I'm Truly Sorry Sir.... that just sucks.... I wish I could help Y'all somehow... Thank You for Bringing Them BOTH Home, and Giving them a good Life! I've read a lot of stories about service dogs that got euthanized, left behind, ect. Man, that just sucks ...

Well as a large acreage owner this time of year I always catch and or encounter trespassers and poachers. Caught one yesterday and trapped him in low pasture. He rolled his ATV so I figured he had enough. I unlocked gate and let him out. This is the time of year for fresh batteries in NV gear and I am experimenting with a bit heavier counterweights. I also dialed my hemet light back to a streamlight at 850 Lums. I was getting to much reflection With the brighter light. These darn flashlights are getting crazy bright. Think high beams in the fog. You drop back to low beams and you can actually see better. I think 850 will Be more efficient. I get to work with Ed Monk this next week so I need to do some pistol practice this weekend. He likes to do a lot of shooting on the move and I can assure you that is a perishable skill. I have been so focused on moving to Arkansas my practice round count is way down for the month. Be a pile of rust at my feet for sure. These guys will knock the rust off no doubt. It will be a closed group and all pistol instructors. Not a single slacker. Well unless you count me!

Damn Man, I'm Truly Sorry Sir.... that just sucks.... I wish I could help Y'all somehow... Thank You for Bringing Them BOTH Home, and Giving them a good Life! I've read a lot of stories about service dogs that got euthanized, left behind, ect. Man, that just sucks ...
Thanks Brother. Here's Charlie and Bandit, our bad *** Mid-Eastern/American interpreter, and me in the CJSOTF-Basra briefing room in ~2010.
Remember when Obama declared an end to combat operations in Iraq in 2010? Yeah, we were still going hard bringing IED cells and masterminds to justice. The list we were working had people that were connected to cells from early on in the campaign to the current time. We brought in a guy that was connected to parts procurement and bomb-making houses since 2003. An Iraqi judge ordered his release and he immediately slipped into Iran. Very frustrating, however, some of the targeted never got a chance to see a judge.

IMG_5865.JPG

Thanks Brother. Here's Charlie and Bandit, our bad *** Mid-Eastern/American interpreter, and me in the CJSOTF-Basra briefing room in ~2010.
Remember when Obama declared an end to combat operations in Iraq in 2010? Yeah, we were still going hard bringing IED cells and masterminds to justice. The list we were working had people that were connected to cells from early on in the campaign to the current time. We brought in a guy that was connected to parts procurement and bomb-making houses since 2003. An Iraqi judge ordered his release and he immediately slipped into Iran. Very frustrating, however, some of the targeted never got a chance to see a judge.

View attachment 1716003754
The more people I know the more I like dogs! Great looking hounds!

View attachment 1716003754
Thank You! You Guys probably saved alot of lives and limbs... those things are nasty. Like the people that use em The Crew behind the Machine! Awesome Pic

-
Back