Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
That's awesome. I guess I forgot about that one, Santa got the kids a Red Ryder, neither of them or the wife are able to **** it though, I hope thr lever gets easier to work.

So our oldest boy (E7 Army) pulled off a surprise holiday visit while taking some leave. As a result we just held the first ever annual World Championship, Red Ryder, invitational BB gun Tournament here at Blair Creek Training Center. His five year old is the reigning Champ! Look out Camp Perry here we come!

View attachment 1716027598

View attachment 1716027599

i believe the Red Ryder is the proverbial ground zero
i bet most of us ended up in this thread since we picked up a Red Ryder at some point in our lives

Heads up if it has any value to you I live very close to a Wilson Combat and can fetch parts and ship if you get in a bind.

That would be a dangerous situation for me. I didn't realize they had a store front. I've been telling myself if I find one of their Gunfighter 1911s that they made for BCM for sale, that I would buy one. Not sure I'm ready to drop that much coin on a 1911, but it wpuld be a nice match to my BCM Recce AR and my soon to be built Wilson Urban Super Sniper AR.

That would be a dangerous situation for me. I didn't realize they had a store front. I've been telling myself if I find one of their Gunfighter 1911s that they made for BCM for sale, that I would buy one. Not sure I'm ready to drop that much coin on a 1911, but it wpuld be a nice match to my BCM Recce AR and my soon to be built Wilson Urban Super Sniper AR.
Wait till you find out Nighthawk is in same town. It is a two stop event for sure. And you must leave your wallet in the truck in an effort to keep your marriage intact. Our Boy wants to bounce over there today. He needs a barrel nut for his rig, I reminded him that you get a barrel nut with a new blaster! His wife gave me stink eye!

Safety feature :rolleyes:

Man we used to shoot the tar out of each other as kids with those
Agreed, you show me a kid that hasn’t been dinged by a BB growing up and I will show you a kid that never drank water out of a garden hose! Then the crossman pumps came out, we had to have a three pump max on those guys. They went past three pumps and you were bleeding! And they always went five! Ballistic advantage Crossman!

We did the same, 3 pump max. That's how we played tag, you didn't have to tag the person, just shoot them! Lol
We had a modified kick the can game. We used two bright yellow margarine tubs (dating myself here) and placed them on opposite ends of the woods. To win you had to get both tubs at same location at same time. While you were capturing one tub the enemy was stealing yours. You get pinged with BB you had to drop tub and do a 100 count. Change of possession if you will. Each team would leave a rear guard who was totally hidden to protect home base and your tub. You had to find and take out the sniper to steal the tub or he pinged you. We were by a lake so I always used the water to get around the roaming guards! Hah! (Little did I know) The game could stretch into days with no winner. Almost impossible to get both tubs secured at same time. Several of us used model paint on our rifles to customize them. Thanks for reminding me of long ago times. Clearly the writing was on the wall for us as almost every one of us ended up in the military.

I remember bb gun wars I also remember me and my buddy pining his younger brother down and popping a bb out of him from a crossman that got to many pumps

Christmas bangs I bought the colt python for the wife while she was doing the paperwork I spotted the colt police positive target that has a 3 digit serial number from 1910 in 22wrf so I bought it for myself now I just have to find some ammo for it

IMG_2022-12-29-12-34-34-045.jpg

Just a friendly reminder, that when you guys go to the range, it is probably best not to use your wifes good throw pillows as gun rests

20221229_132142.jpg

The boys AR-7 in the locker with the other .22s (the one on the right is also a Henry, a lever action and the one on the left is a savage mark 2 bolt action)

And of course the target from today's session, this was out of the box at 50 yards

A little high and to the right

20221229_172404.jpg

20221229_124915.jpg

Christmas bangs I bought the colt python for the wife while she was doing the paperwork I spotted the colt police positive target that has a 3 digit serial number from 1910 in 22wrf so I bought it for myself now I just have to find some ammo for it

View attachment 1716028041
Wow, just wow! You looking to adopt a new family member? I am available! Hah!

our boy gave his wife one of my old 270s . It does not fit her at all. She weighs maybe ninety pounds and I am guessing 5-4ish? She deer hunted with it this weekend and was not a fan. I am going to find her something a bit shorter with less wallop.

I'm 5-4 although a lot more than 90 pounds. More like 190 to tell the truth :rolleyes:. I have dealt with the it-doesn't-fit firearm business my whole life. I shorten the stock on all my rifles, which makes a TON of difference in how they fit, which directly affects how they recoil and shoot. For your daugher in law, I'd make sure the LOP matches her height and arm length, and try a 243. I have a Remington 600 in 243 and it recoils like a pussycat. There is no substitute for shot placement and a quality load/bullet - a howitzer is not necessary for hunting anything in the lower 48. Many an elk has succumbed to a 243.

.243 would be a great option for some reason.270 kicks like a mule mine has more felt recoil than the parent case 30-06. If the he has settled on AR platform 350 legend is really easy just need a barrel and the mags to switch a 5.56 to 350 legend

Last edited:
.243 would be a great option for some reason.270 kicks like a mule mine has more felt recoil than the parent case 30-06. If the he has settled on AR platform 350 legend is really easy just need a barrel and the mags to switch a 5.56 to 350 legend
.270 is loaded to a higher pressure than the 30-06, so the muzzle blast is probably just a bit more prominent. Felt recoil should be similar, I forget the equation, but stock design and weight can make a difference from rifle to rifle.
I'm going to have to put together a 350 Legend too, but I think I want to use .358+" bullets and the factory barrels are supposed to be 9mm/.356 so I need to think on that for while.

.270 is loaded to a higher pressure than the 30-06, so the muzzle blast is probably just a bit more prominent. Felt recoil should be similar, I forget the equation, but stock design and weight can make a difference from rifle to rifle.
I'm going to have to put together a 350 Legend too, but I think I want to use .358+" bullets and the factory barrels are supposed to be 9mm/.356 so I need to think on that for while.
I have used .358 bullets and.357 with my bear creek barrel I have not slugged it yet but it has not blown up in my face if that helps lol

Thanks for all the input guys, in the end my old ways won out and I went bolt action 243. We only have a few days left of deer season and the Tikka has not shown up yet. I found a small Ruger American in 243 here local with scope and sling for 450 bucks. It became a no brainer! Not sure it is technically a youth model or not as I am not that familiar with Ruger rifles? The target was first initial rounds Cold bore shots. I literally took it out of the case, sat down at 100 yards with factory ammo and sent a couple down range. The scope is super sketchy and will have to be replaced prior to next season but it will darn sure work as is for rest of this season for her. I will dial in the scope today and see it I can get it a bit tighter.

3D4733A2-E095-4111-892E-4DDE5C8647A2.jpeg

674E6A71-35EC-49D5-9E43-E0EFA4820F89.jpeg

Thanks for all the input guys, in the end my old ways won out and I went bolt action 243. We only have a few days left of deer season and the Tikka has not shown up yet. I found a small Ruger American in 243 here local with scope and sling for 450 bucks. It became a no brainer! Not sure it is technically a youth model or not as I am not that familiar with Ruger rifles? The target was first initial rounds Cold bore shots. I literally took it out of the case, sat down at 100 yards with factory ammo and sent a couple down range. The scope is super sketchy and will have to be replaced prior to next season but it will darn sure work as is for rest of this season for her. I will dial in the scope today and see it I can get it a bit tighter.

View attachment 1716028914

View attachment 1716028916

You have some odd looking deer down there :lol:

-
Back