Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
Just Google it, seems like work involved there. Marie's experience says they need a definite owner/boss and structure 100%. She says unsupervised play with Hemi may be a no no especially for a while

Brandy is of European descent and has a very similar head structure, and is a little smaller and all mussel. Had her ears up till I took the pic.

67647430-5481-41A9-B093-F011D8B6D31F.jpeg

I have not gotten a good pix yet showing how thin and angular she is. She has posture and stride of a Mal. She is blazing fast and has already figured out Hemi cannot spin or protect her back end due to the deterioration of her hips and hind legs. The pup will not adopt a submissive posture at all with Hemi. Tail high and does not give up when tormenting Hemi. Has yet to roll over even when bit. I fear once she gets some weight on it will not be pretty. She also has the tail of a Mal. Long and thin held high Up over her back. Only way I will know for sure is to put a line of crack on a mirror and if the pup snorts it we know she is part Mal! We all know Mals are just Shepard’s on crack!

View attachment 1716031961

View attachment 1716031962

View attachment 1716031963
Looks like she found Mom. She's a mommy's girl.

Brandy is of European descent and has a very similar head structure, and is a little smaller and all mussel. Had her ears up till I took the pic.

View attachment 1716032111
One good looking hound right there! Typically the biggest difference in the work strain vs show strain is the slope of the hips. The “work” dogs are more blocky and squared off on the hips than the “show” breeds. Hemi is Eastern German pedigree and as a result is blocky and North of 100 pounds even for a female. To your point maybe the pup is a strain I am not accustomed to? We did some bite work today and her agility and muzzle movements lead me to believe she has some Mal in her. When she looks right at me I can see it. And she is more leggy than a pure Shepard if that makes sense? Not sure how to articulate it but her body movements when using her muzzle and chest aggressively looks to be all Mal? In the end I simply love the Shepard breed regardless of line or size. Maybe the vet will be able to tell tomorrow? I am guessing six to eight months old? She is stealing my heart already.

Didn't get myself another animal for Christmas, but I did get myself this little cap gun.

20230108_105516.jpg

20230108_105527.jpg

20230108_105549.jpg

20230108_105629.jpg

20230108_105818.jpg

So we had a stray show up on the farm today, looks to be a Shepard Mal cross. Total rack of bones totally tick infested maybe thirty pounds and six months old. Cowers non stop waiting to be hit. (dog abusers suk) Neighbors wanted to call animal control as it was over on there place this morning. They pinged us as they know we like Shepard’s. We have washed her and picked a zillion ticks off her. She has eaten non stop all day long. When I suggested to Jodi perhaps we adopt her? I got a resounding no. Typically Hemi puts the spine chomp on dogs in her area, for some reason she has taken to this pup. She has only bitten it a couple of times and more of a pecking order type bite vs the usual we are done here type bite. Hemi is over ten years old and we have agonized over do we get a pup now so Hemi can mentor or do we wait. Having a true K9 is always a bit of a struggle when adding a family member. They are super territorial and turfy. Shepard’s are a breed that bond with one person period, they simply tolerate others! As you can see by the picture Jodi has now decided perhaps we keep her, she has named the pup grace as she seems to be here by the grace of god. We will see.

View attachment 1716031954
Again I am so happy to call you my Arkansas cousin my friend, you and your family have amazed me, you guys rocking Arkansas life and fit in very well sir :thumbsup: thank you

Nope she did not come from there, we have already confirmed she is wormy, goes to vet Monday! You guys with Mals chip in here but her face/skull is all Mal.

View attachment 1716031960

Good looking pup. Run an Embark DNA on her You'll know right quick.

Have you checked the ears for a breeder tattoo?

I am not familiar with Mal breed. More info? Will be a nice looking dog if her and Hemi can get along
If you so much as entertain the thought of getting a Mal Please do your research, they are not for the faint of heart We have adopted 3 of them, I wish I had known about the breed 30 years ago when I was younger and had more energy.

The one with my wife is 90 pounds of hellion I challenge anyone get near her I think his favorite hobby is biting.. I have to be careful myself he has adopted her as his person and he will let you know in no uncertain terms that she is his. We just adopted the black one a couple months ago.

20211004_193921_HDR_(1).jpg

Kenna and Chase.jpg

If you so much as entertain the thought of getting a Mal Please do your research, they are not for the faint of heart We have adopted 3 of them, I wish I had known about the breed 30 years ago when I was younger and had more energy.

The one with my wife is 90 pounds of hellion I challenge anyone get near her I think his favorite hobby is biting.. I have to be careful myself he has adopted her as his person and he will let you know in no uncertain terms that she is his. We just adopted the black one a couple months ago.

View attachment 1716032183

View attachment 1716032184
Thanks. No searching a dog here. My girlfriend brought her Mastif. That is enough dog for now.

image000001(53).jpg

image000000(223).jpg

Brandy’s dad was from Italy, Gunnar is an import from eastern Europe complete with passport.
Brandy on the left, very lanky and 80lbs. Gunnar on the right, a solid 118lbs.

4133DDDC-95DC-4E3A-AC76-B5604E85C742.jpeg

so, about that AR-7

when we got it to the range, we noticed the front sight sits at the 11 oclock position instead of the 12 oclock
so i went ahead and called them, figured they would send me a new front post and i could press the old one out, press the new on in and be in business

well, when i spoke to Henry on the phone they suggested i start a warranty claim, then they would send me a shipping tag, i could ship the gun back to them (at thier cost) they would install a new barrel and send it back to me

i went ahead and put in the warranty request and they emailed me this morning with the suggestion they would just mail a new barrel out to me (as you might recall, this is a take down gun so the barrel screws in)

so far im very impressed with their customer service

but this leaves me to wonder, would it be feasible to take that stock barrel and cut it down to pistol length?

remember, this is only a .22

Surprised they let that one out of the factory like that they usually have great quality control and the big boys i have get shot and sighted in at the factory. Glad they are taking care of you

Surprised they let that one out of the factory like that they usually have great quality control and the big boys i have get shot and sighted in at the factory. Glad they are taking care of you

the front sight is a bright orange plastic piece that slides into a groove on the barrel

my guess is that the sight is the only issue, but they for sure are taking care of it

so, about that AR-7

when we got it to the range, we noticed the front sight sits at the 11 oclock position instead of the 12 oclock
so i went ahead and called them, figured they would send me a new front post and i could press the old one out, press the new on in and be in business

well, when i spoke to Henry on the phone they suggested i start a warranty claim, then they would send me a shipping tag, i could ship the gun back to them (at thier cost) they would install a new barrel and send it back to me

i went ahead and put in the warranty request and they emailed me this morning with the suggestion they would just mail a new barrel out to me (as you might recall, this is a take down gun so the barrel screws in)

so far im very impressed with their customer service

but this leaves me to wonder, would it be feasible to take that stock barrel and cut it down to pistol length?

remember, this is only a .22
If you cut that barrel to less than 16" you will be creating a SBR (short barreled rifle) which is not allowed without special dispensation from BATF. You have to pay a tax and get special permit, but my memory is not perfect. Either way, if you do it without the paperwork, they can and will lock you up for possessing and illegal firearm. It may be illegal to even have a short barrel in your possession without the paperwork, even if not mounted.

If you cut that barrel to less than 16" you will be creating a SBR (short barreled rifle) which is not allowed without special dispensation from BATF. You have to pay a tax and get special permit, but my memory is not perfect. Either way, if you do it without the paperwork, they can and will lock you up for possessing and illegal firearm. It may be illegal to even have a short barrel in your possession without the paperwork, even if not mounted.
thanks, i guess that plan went out the window

-
Back