Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
thanks, i guess that plan went out the window
You can look into it, I just don't remember the details. There are a lot of folks that have SBRs you just need to do it right so the gov't don't slap you. It's go something to do with modifying something that started out not being a pistol, into a length considered a pistol. Apparently you unleash some sort of voodoo that they need to be compensated for...

You can look into it, I just don't remember the details. There are a lot of folks that have SBRs you just need to do it right so the gov't don't slap you. It's go something to do with modifying something that started out not being a pistol, into a length considered a pistol. Apparently you unleash some sort of voodoo that they need to be compensated for...
it's not something i was extremely excited about anyway, but i figured, i got the barrel, for 10 bucks i can get a pistol grip, why not play with it a little, you know ?

Well after six days on the road training Commission School Security Teams ( licensed to carry firearms on school property) I came back home to all the chaos of our farm. Wife explained to me in no uncertain terms the Shepard Mal cross is mine period, she is done with it! Hah! Just like last Shepard rescue! In a year the two will be inseparable. Good news bad news tho, upon my arrival home I did not get bit by pup! Sadly pup got bit by Hemi, turns out I am nothing but property! They are on the edge of getting pecking order sorted out! The pup is stealing my heart, super intense and exactly what you would expect from the breed! It does however make for a small living room! See pix! The other one is the pup in full reverse gear once Hemi decided she was done with pup! Everyone is adjusting and looks like it is going to work out just fine. I am looking forward to some serious work with the pup these next couple of weeks as I have zero travel plans!

1A1F6721-13B2-4A40-B302-F2491FBEDA10.jpeg

DF904DCB-A99A-4C00-BCF5-CB872EAF72BE.jpeg

Check state laws too. Federally, mine is an SBR (barrel under 16"), but with state requirements (under 26" in shortest usable configuration) it is considered a pistol. In Michigan you have to 'register' a pistol when you take possession of it, but it also allows me to conceal carry it or keep it loaded in my vehicle at all times.

NFA stuff is fairly simple [as above, make sure your state allows NFA stuff], but the wait-time for the ATF to give you your tax-stamp, can be really stupid. My last item was 15 months, and they cashed the check, 4 days after I had mailed it. This is my Noveske/Vltor build. It's set up for my AAC can. It has all different furniture and optic on it now. Pictures are too large to load.
001.JPG

Last edited:
NFA stuff is fairly simple [as above, make sure your state allows NFA stuff], but the wait-time for the ATF to give you your tax-stamp, can be really stupid. My last item was 15 months, and they had cashed the check 4 days after I had mailed it. This is my Noveske/Vltor build. It's set up for my AAC can.
View attachment 1716033734
Are ya trolling us? I mean seriously we need details man! Caliber, twist, trigger. You can’t post a build like that and leave us hanging! Nice build!

Finally got pup into the Vet, she now has all her shots, wormed etc. She did not have a chip so it is looking like we will get to keep her. We have posted pictures and lost pup ads in all of our local publications. As expected no one has come forth. Day four of assimilation and we are making progress. The pup is starting to show signs of submission. In the end it is just physics, she weighs in at 44 pounds Hemi is North of a hundred by just a bit. She has finally figured out she will not starve on our watch and is beginning to understand free feeding concept by leaving food in the bowl. Hemi of course has increased her input dramatically just showing pup who’s bowl is who’s! Most of the dust ups have been over possessions, food bowls, me being sole property of Hemi. You know normal female jealousy items. Hah! She is exceedingly bright and I think training her will be relatively easy. She is already sitting and staying. She is stealing my heart as she is still craving affection after being tossed out on side of road. She is a snuggler! But Lord have mercy she is hard to keep up with! I had almost forgotten how much energy it takes when investing in a Shepard pup.

0632846E-7235-4A21-B796-7465D62F1B21.jpeg

44CE17B5-646E-4B57-9D2D-8C4437850916.jpeg

Time to pick out those young squirrels here , been seeing them hustle and play around the hill, been shooting squirrels with this 100.00 rifle (Rugar Nighthawk) with a 140.00 scoop for 7 years, 177 caliber, I updated seals the first month I owned it, it has giving good service, best thing I did was add that Remington scoop. Thousands of rounds stocked up.

20221119_200317.jpg

Finally got pup into the Vet, she now has all her shots, wormed etc. She did not have a chip so it is looking like we will get to keep her. We have posted pictures and lost pup ads in all of our local publications. As expected no one has come forth. Day four of assimilation and we are making progress. The pup is starting to show signs of submission. In the end it is just physics, she weighs in at 44 pounds Hemi is North of a hundred by just a bit. She has finally figured out she will not starve on our watch and is beginning to understand free feeding concept by leaving food in the bowl. Hemi of course has increased her input dramatically just showing pup who’s bowl is who’s! Most of the dust ups have been over possessions, food bowls, me being sole property of Hemi. You know normal female jealousy items. Hah! She is exceedingly bright and I think training her will be relatively easy. She is already sitting and staying. She is stealing my heart as she is still craving affection after being tossed out on side of road. She is a snuggler! But Lord have mercy she is hard to keep up with! I had almost forgotten how much energy it takes when investing in a Shepard pup.

View attachment 1716033815

View attachment 1716033816
You and your family are growing cousin, and I want to thank you, she would have froze or turned into a coyotes diet. :thumbsup:

Time to pick out those young squirrels here , been seeing them hustle and play around the hill, been shooting squirrels with this 100.00 rifle (Rugar Nighthawk) with a 140.00 scoop for 7 years, 177 caliber, I updated seals the first month I owned it, it has giving good service, best thing I did was add that Remington scoop. Thousands of rounds stocked up.

View attachment 1716033830
I always cook up a mess of squirrels for my class when I teach Hunters Education class for Game and Fish! So class always groans and makes all kinds of I ain’t eating that comments when I tell them. Keep in mind class is typically ten to 15 year old boys! Once the scent of the crock pot starts wafting across the classroom I own them! Never brought home anything but a licked clean crock pot!

I always cook up a mess of squirrels for my class when I teach Hunters Education class for Game and Fish! So class always groans and makes all kinds of I ain’t eating that comments when I tell them. Keep in mind class is typically ten to 15 year old boys! Once the scent of the crock pot starts wafting across the classroom I own them! Never brought home anything but a licked clean crock pot!
The only way to cook them :thumbsup:
I swear they smell like pork in a crock pot slow cooking, I cook them until you can lift the neck bone and shoulders out and watch the meat fall off, yep, I can emagin!!

I am a volunteer for the Arkansas Game and Fish here in Jonesboro, they hold classes here, I helped get the building and site ready for there soft opening, thats been about ten years ago.

Long gun courses we would store up everything that was taken during the duration of the course and cook it all up during the final FTX. :thumbsup: Mostly rattlesnake and antelope with an occasional small mammal.

The only way to cook them :thumbsup:
I swear they smell like pork in a crock pot slow cooking, I cook them until you can lift the neck bone and shoulders out and watch the meat fall off, yep, I can emagin!!

I am a volunteer for the Arkansas Game and Fish here in Jonesboro, they hold classes here, I helped get the building and site ready for there soft opening, thats been about ten years ago.

I've never cooked squirrel but am interested. A video on youtube showed the guy cook one up, but he didn't pull the bones out? Is that normally how squirrel is done?

I've never cooked squirrel but am interested. A video on youtube showed the guy cook one up, but he didn't pull the bones out? Is that normally how squirrel is done?
Yes, some people leave the head on as they fry them, best way is to skin/clean it, get about 4 to 6 younger one if possible and put in a crock pot till the meat falls of the bone. Best dumplings are cooked with squirrel and chicken broth

So here is how I do it, like any other dish there is a million ways to prepare it. I skin them out and cut off head tail and feet. Then I put chicken broth plus some garlic and pepper in the crockpot and dump 3 or 4 in depending on size. Often times to be more efficient on space in the crock I will cut them in half at the hip joint. I cook them low and slow just like MeMike explains till the meat falls off the bone, I then debone them all ensuring no fur, bullet fragments or shot is in the meat. Then I put them back in crock after straining the broth for bones and debris. Add either rice or potatoes(never both) peppers onions carrots celery or whatever you like. Warm it up and bang you got redneck cuisine! Tastes like chicken! Hah! (Not really but I had to say it) it actually has a very delicate and only slightly gamey flavor. All dark meat. A delicacy for sure!

So here is how I do it, like any other dish there is a million ways to prepare it. I skin them out and cut off head tail and feet. Then I put chicken broth plus some garlic and pepper in the crockpot and dump 3 or 4 in depending on size. Often times to be more efficient on space in the crock I will cut them in half at the hip joint. I cook them low and slow just like MeMike explains till the meat falls off the bone, I then debone them all ensuring no fur, bullet fragments or shot is in the meat. Then I put them back in crock after straining the broth for bones and debris. Add either rice or potatoes(never both) peppers onions carrots celery or whatever you like. Warm it up and bang you got redneck cuisine! Tastes like chicken! Hah! (Not really but I had to say it) it actually has a very delicate and only slightly gamey flavor. All dark meat. A delicacy for sure!
let me know when your cooking, i would not turn a bowl of that down

So, I finally picked up my AR that dad ordered for me a while back. Last ciuoke trips didn't work as BATFE was not open, but I was in no hurry. Nothing fancy like most of you, but a starting point. PSA had an amazing sale last year, couldn't not order one. I would like to SBR in 45acp. We will see. Cheap red dot is just to have something after removing the front sight. I am not a fan of the colors, so that will change as I decide what furniture style I want.

20230113_160939.jpg

So, I finally picked up my AR that dad ordered for me a while back. Last ciuoke trips didn't work as BATFE was not open, but I was in no hurry. Nothing fancy like most of you, but a starting point. PSA had an amazing sale last year, couldn't not order one. I would like to SBR in 45acp. We will see. Cheap red dot is just to have something after removing the front sight. I am not a fan of the colors, so that will change as I decide what furniture style I want.

View attachment 1716034720
That furniture is loud for sure. In the interim you could camo dust the furniture with some brown rattle can? Might make it less loud?

That furniture is loud for sure. In the interim you could camo dust the furniture with some brown rattle can? Might make it less loud?
Possibly. I have thought about it. Was doing some window shopping online too

PSA
Heads up folks the ATF has now issued their final version in arm bracing a pistol. It will go public (still has 120 day public comment period) when register is issued. You can hit the ATF website for total clarity as I do not want to open a political debate on the topic in this thread or we will get relocated to NP section. Loosely translated if you attach a brace you must then declare it as a SBR. Or face penalties. Just a FYI in case some of y’all are going that route. Likely many of you are far more up to speed on the topic than I am.

I saw something yesterday that the 5th Curcuit court ruled the bump stock and arm brace laws were unconstitutional and outside ATF jurisdiction. I don't know what that means or when it will change, if ever, but there may be changes coming.

-
Back