Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
So, I finally picked up my AR that dad ordered for me a while back. Last ciuoke trips didn't work as BATFE was not open, but I was in no hurry. Nothing fancy like most of you, but a starting point. PSA had an amazing sale last year, couldn't not order one. I would like to SBR in 45acp. We will see. Cheap red dot is just to have something after removing the front sight. I am not a fan of the colors, so that will change as I decide what furniture style I want.

View attachment 1716034720

I will not get into the yes/no of the brace debate, nor the new ruling, but I will say that if you're going to SBR it, lots of people are literally giving away braces right now and there's a amnesty on the SBR tax (a tax on your right to own a firearm....).

So you could brace it, and get the SBR stamp for free. At that point, you could toss the brace and put a proper stock on it.
You have 118 days left if you should choose to go this route.

All this assumes that the brace ruling stands. I expect a fight.

I will not get into the yes/no of the brace debate, nor the new ruling, but I will say that if you're going to SBR it, lots of people are literally giving away braces right now and there's a amnesty on the SBR tax (a tax on your right to own a firearm....).

So you could brace it, and get the SBR stamp for free. At that point, you could toss the brace and put a proper stock on it.
You have 118 days left if you should choose to go this route.

All this assumes that the brace ruling stands. I expect a fight.
I agree the court cases will be filing on Monday. no Matter how you slice it this is gonna be a hot mess.

i have not seen the benefit of a SBR. Pack a pistol and a carbine. Fortunately, the **** ain’t that bad around here. Some nice little carbines or bull pups.

i have not seen the benefit of a SBR. Pack a pistol and a carbine. Fortunately, the **** ain’t that bad around here. Some nice little carbines or bull pups.

For me, it was when I tried to navigate the hallways in my house and wanted more than a handgun.
And if you want to keep a firearm in the car, that short barrel is nice, and I don't have to learn a new gun

For me, it was when I tried to navigate the hallways in my house and wanted more than a handgun.
And if you want to keep a firearm in the car, that short barrel is nice, and I don't have to learn a new gun
I can understand the benefit in the car but how much benefit? Ya know, to register it and pay the tax. I’m not sure why you need more than a hand gun in your hallway? I’d be looking for less penetration, like a shot gun.

I can understand the benefit in the car but how much benefit? Ya know, to register it and pay the tax. I’m not sure why you need more than a hand gun in your hallway? I’d be looking for less penetration, like a shot gun.
How much benefit to justify the tax? The tax on my right to own a gun?

Hence the braces. **** their tax.

When it comes to home defense in my hallway, I figure any criminal can carry a handgun so I probably ought to out gun them and a carbine is still kinda long in the hallway. A shotgun is nice too but even an 18" pistol grip shotgun is still kinda long and hard to aim in tight quarters. The short chassis ar pistol allows me to use red dot sights and still navigate tight areas.

How much benefit to justify the tax? The tax on my right to own a gun?

Hence the braces. **** their tax.

When it comes to home defense in my hallway, I figure any criminal can carry a handgun so I probably ought to out gun them and a carbine is still kinda long in the hallway. A shotgun is nice too but even an 18" pistol grip shotgun is still kinda long and hard to aim in tight quarters. The short chassis ar pistol allows me to use red dot sights and still navigate tight areas.
Whooo, I’m not justifying the tax. You choose your guns and I’ll choose my guns

Last edited:
The are problem many problems NFA item, besides the fact that the feds know you have it. For one you can't take it out of your state without letting the feds know that you are taking it out of the state and getting an approval from them. Second is when you want to sell it, it becomes a mess if you do not want to sell it to an FFL, and forgo getting top dollar selling it to an individual at retail. If you want to sell it to an individual, there is a TON of paperwork through the ATF, and the gun cannot be transferred to the new owner until the paperwork comes in which can be over a year. It is a mess for you to try and hold someone's money for months, and maybe well over a year, while you wait for the paperwork to clear. The other issue here with the NFA is that many states do not allow NFA items, so if you have a braced pistol and you want to register it as an SBR, you just may not be able to do it in certain states.

If you have a braced pistol make sure that your state allows NFA items before you even think of sending the ATF a photo with a form 1 online. Remember that you are now telling the ATF that you have an NFA item, that has a 10 year prison term and $250,000 fine for "possessing it" and that it is illegal in your state no matter what. You could end up in a big mess, never trust these people.

If you do not want to register it, I believe that the best solution is to remove the brace and get the brace out of your home. If there is no brace, there is no SBR. Also remember that it is legal to convert a pistol into a rifle, but not the other way around. So, if you have a braced AR pistol you can just throw a 16" barrel or upper on it and you are good to go, you can also add a regular stock on it AFTER you have put a 16" barrel or upper on it.

If you always wanted an SBR, well now is you chance, register it with the brace, and AFTER your paperwork comes in, you can put a regular stock on it, and you just got a free SBR.

I think my 629 is 8.inches. You can gain 8 inches of rifling with a legal rifle barrel.

Last edited:
After researching more on the SBR and brace rules (not law) there is no questions that it is all about the money (Tax revenue) I really don’t think it will pass muster once it gets challenged in court. Second topic:rifles in hallways. Please note I earn a living teaching room clearing, self defense, etc etc. So I have a bias for sure! By same token every family and situation is different, as a result we must base our teaching on the “plausibility principle“ Over penetration in a domestic setting is a thing, your family or others may be on other side of the wall. With all of the technical advances on the home defense ammunition platform It is simply a better choice for urban domestic scenario. Clearly a rifle is a better choice if peripheral damage is a lessor concern. Many of us on here have kicked down doors for a living. And there is zero reason not to put a red dot on a pistol, they have come a long way with regard to durability and reliance. We are seeing more and more guys running red dots in our training cycles. I would guess within two years we will not have anyone show up without a red dot. We are seeing that kind of acceleration in application. Do I prefer a carbine to defend myself with? Darn right! I have won a black rifle 50 yard Championship three years running, I like using it! However I grab my pistol first when defending inside the home. Again, everyone is different, to quote the old adage of what gun is the best to defend yourself with? Answer, The one in your hand. Apologies this got long winded but I am a bit passionate about teaching so I just carry a soap box with me! Hah! Have a great weekend guys!

New pup update, minimal damage last night! Every morning is a treasure hunt looking for damage!

85E4CEB0-5DE0-4A00-99FE-7A31399D66ED.jpeg

The are problem many problems NFA item, besides the fact that the feds know you have it. For one you can't take it out of your state without letting the feds know that you are taking it out of the state and getting an approval from them. Second is when you want to sell it, it becomes a mess if you do not want to sell it to an FFL, and forgo getting top dollar selling it to an individual at retail. If you want to sell it to an individual, there is a TON of paperwork through the ATF, and the gun cannot be transferred to the new owner until the paperwork comes in which can be over a year. It is a mess for you to try and hold someone's money for months, and maybe well over a year, while you wait for the paperwork to clear. The other issue here with the NFA is that many states do not allow NFA items, so if you have a braced pistol and you want to register it as an SBR, you just may not be able to do it in certain states.

If you have a braced pistol make sure that your state allows NFA items before you even think of sending the ATF a photo with a form 1 online. Remember that you are now telling the ATF that you have an NFA item, that has a 10 year prison term and $250,000 fine for "possessing it" and that it is illegal in your state no matter what. You could end up in a big mess, never trust these people.

If you do not want to register it, I believe that the best solution is to remove the brace and get the brace out of your home. If there is no brace, there is no SBR. Also remember that it is legal to convert a pistol into a rifle, but not the other way around. So, if you have a braced AR pistol you can just throw a 16" barrel or upper on it and you are good to go, you can also add a regular stock on it AFTER you have put a 16" barrel or upper on it.

If you always wanted an SBR, well now is you chance, register it with the brace, and AFTER your paperwork comes in, you can put a regular stock on it, and you just got a free SBR.

Depending on how you read it, that new rule says even the buffer tube counts as a stock.
Here I am defending AR pistols, and ten years ago I thought that was one of the stupidest things I'd ever seen.

New pup update, minimal damage last night! Every morning is a treasure hunt looking for damage!

View attachment 1716035204

He wants to go for a ride.
Or are you blaming him for something you did?

Not an area that grabs my attention but sort of an answer.
There are some collectable/historical arms that could fall in these catagories. In addition to some of classic shoulder stock optioned pistols made into the early 20th century, there's the Air Force survival rifle and rifle/shotgun M4 and M6. These are breakdowns with 14" barrels.

Side note FWIW. The term 'law' can be used a couple ways. So its a context thing.
'The Law' usually is used to described all three parts of law that can be applied in a proceedings.
1 The legislation itself. This is also sometimes called 'the laws'.
2 The rules and procedures for applying the legislation.
3 Case law and related guidance.

Whomever is charged with applying the legislation has to so under some consistant manner. Hence the rules and procedures.
So depending on the situation law can mean all of it, just the written parts, or all of it.

Depending on how you read it, that new rule says even the buffer tube counts as a stock.
Here I am defending AR pistols, and ten years ago I thought that was one of the stupidest things I'd ever seen.

He wants to go for a ride.
Or are you blaming him for something you did?
Ok that’s funny right there! Hah! I promise it was not me, I am a Marine, we only eat crayons!

There are some collectable/historical arms that could fall in these catagories. In addition to some of classic shoulder stock optioned pistols made into the early 20th century, there's the Air Force survival rifle and rifle/shotgun M4 and M6. These are breakdowns with 14" barrels.

Side note FWIW. The term 'law' can be used a couple ways. So its a context thing.
'The Law' usually is used to described all three parts of law that can be applied in a proceedings.

Whomever is charged with applying the legislation has to so under some consistant manner. Hence the rules and procedures.
So depending on the situation law can mean all of it, just the written parts, or all of it.
Good call Matt, I had not even thought about the antiquities aspect. Holy smokes

Good call Matt, I had not even thought about the antiquities aspect. Holy smokes

Y'all should watch the Forgotten Weapons video on the brace issue.

Not a blaster from Santa, but I took advantage of the sale Wilson Combat was having. Ordered a receiver set and handguard combo, along with all the other parts to build a rifle. Going with their 18" Super Sniper barrel in 223 Wylde. Also grabbed a Geissele trigger for it with the awesome sale Geissele was having. I can't wait until all the parts show up to start building it.

All the parts finally showed up. Didn't get a complete pic, but here's an almost complete pic. I grabbed a 4.5-14 Leupold VX3HD for it, but ended up putting that on one of my bolt guns and moved it's scope to the Wilson. It's now sporting a VX3 3-9 Firedot with a green dot and a Geissele G2S trigger.

It took a few mags to break it in, everything was super tight. Switched to a different buffer spring as well, it works flawlessly now. Put a few hundred rounds through it. I was getting just under 1 MOA groups at 100 yards with it using IMI 77 grain. I would have kept shooting but it was 26 out with a decent wind, 4 hours was enough!! I couldn't be happier.

20230108_101702.jpg

20230108_101650.jpg

Santa's gift got some us too, my 6 year old was put plinking the other day. Red Ryder is a little big for him, but he managed it pretty good.

20230108_111118.jpg

All the parts finally showed up. Didn't get a complete pic, but here's an almost complete pic. I grabbed a 4.5-14 Leupold VX3HD for it, but ended up putting that on one of my bolt guns and moved it's scope to the Wilson. It's now sporting a VX3 3-9 Firedot with a green dot and a Geissele G2S trigger.

It took a few mags to break it in, everything was super tight. Switched to a different buffer spring as well, it works flawlessly now. Put a few hundred rounds through it. I was getting just under 1 MOA groups at 100 yards with it using IMI 77 grain. I would have kept shooting but it was 26 out with a decent wind, 4 hours was enough!! I couldn't be happier.

View attachment 1716035375

View attachment 1716035376
Great build, great results. In the end quality components give you a quality result. Nice job!

Santa's gift got some us too, my 6 year old was put plinking the other day. Red Ryder is a little big for him, but he managed it pretty good.

View attachment 1716035377
Hah! We also had a red Ryder event over the Holidays. Same deal, the rifle was just a bit to big for our grandson, but it’s size was only matched by his smiles. We had an impromptu to world Red Ryder invitational match. He is now the reigning champion, never dawned on him he was the only competitor! Hah!

A14EB8AA-A490-4CEA-BE74-C8D300E1E013.jpeg

Great build, great results. In the end quality components give you a quality result. Nice job!

I'd say it shoots better than my BCM Recce 16 for sure. Definitely softer shooting, with rifle length gas, it almost feels like shooting a 22 with no muzzle movement.

Hah! We also had a red Ryder event over the Holidays. Same deal, the rifle was just a bit to big for our grandson, but it’s size was only matched by his smiles. We had an impromptu to world Red Ryder invitational match. He is now the reigning champion, never dawned on him he was the only competitor! Hah!

View attachment 1716035381

That's awesome! I'm thinking tomorrow since the kids are off, we'll have a friendly competition between the 3 of us. Do you have any idea what that leather thong is for on the left side of the rifle?

I'd say it shoots better than my BCM Recce 16 for sure. Definitely softer shooting, with rifle length gas, it almost feels like shooting a 22 with no muzzle movement.

That's awesome! I'm thinking tomorrow since the kids are off, we'll have a friendly competition between the 3 of us. Do you have any idea what that leather thong is for on the left side of the rifle?
Absolutely no idea on the leather bits. I figured it was purely decorative? That trigger you put in makes a lot of difference. Just no getting around how much influence a good trigger can have on a rifle. Some folks just have no idea the difference a rifle like you have built can have on performance And just plain enjoyment factor. Yes you can build a rifle that will function for considerably less, but there is no feeling on earth like shooting a sub 1 group during break in And not even really trying. Super jealous of your new rifle!

-
Back