Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
Got a visitor at the house, her name is Lucy.

View attachment 1716166681

A friend has an abrupt change of plans so I picked her up this morning after work. She has met Romeo and Winston while in her kennel, and I'll get them acquainted freely on Thursday when I have the day off. They seem to get along, no cowering from Lucy and no aggression from the boys, so all good so far.
Sounds like you got it under control. Neutral ground is always a smart play for those initial meet and greets. Good on ya for giving Lucy a place to land. Go slow be smart and they will tell you how to proceed. Romeo and Winston ain’t dumb, they will que off your interaction and accept her into the pack quickly. Won’t be long they will be wrestling for her affection! Congrats, your feed bill just went up!

Well I found a 9mm rifle I like, little pricey but hay, we only live once.
Its a Henry homesteader, it shares the same shell as my side arm
@Sublime one .

Homesteader 9mm | Henry Repeating Arms

Did you look into 9mm AR platforms. I was thinking about that shared round idea BUT then I bought a G23 in 40SW and don’t like 9 no mo! LOL!

What would be nice is a AR platform that takes my extendo Glock mags. 1 mag - two guns. Definitely a good set up for a trunk package.

Go slow be smart and they will tell you how to proceed. Romeo and Winston ain’t dumb, they will que off your interaction and accept her into the pack quickly.
She's really good at being kenneled, so it's not bothering her at all which makes it easier. The boys just sat a few feet away from her kennel and they all looked at each other, I think they'll get along fine.

I just took the plunge, ignoring wife’s input and hitting Midways website for parts to assemble a 300 black out. The suppressed aspect is very appealing. Making brass out of excess 223 not so much. I got a buddy that has it down to a science. I checked out his cutting machine for brass. Very cool. It is from Zepreloading (300 blackout) if any of you are curious. Then mate it with a HF item 62136 2inch bench cut off saw. Works very slick.

Did you look into 9mm AR platforms. I was thinking about that shared round idea BUT then I bought a G23 in 40SW and don’t like 9 no mo! LOL!

What would be nice is a AR platform that takes my extendo Glock mags. 1 mag - two guns. Definitely a good set up for a trunk package.
I have watched 30+ videos on the Henry Homsteder, this is an easy to use point and shoot for me and my wife, she will never get use to a 9mm pistol, just never would shoot on, the homesteader 9mm is just what the doctor ordered for us here in the sticks, I held one again yesterday and feel like its the home defense gun and shooter for us, 9mm pistol, I have always liked, I am a 5'8" fellow with a ton of 9mm shells, I don't ever see me shooting over 50 yards, and this rifle is so much more accurate at 30 then my 9mm pistols.. I have yet to see a negative video like I seen here on this page.. we will see.

Last edited:
Almost double what I pay but it’s probably a nice place to shoot.

IMG_0301.jpeg

Almost double what I pay but it’s probably a nice place to shoot.

View attachment 1716166852
I would keep in mind that what you pay is absurdly low in comparison to what the rest of the Country is paying. Most everyone I interact with pays somewhere between 50 and a hundred. And as a traveling Instructor I have to maintain membership at multiple ranges in multiple States. I don’t pay less than fifty anywhere! Your fee is amazing!

So, you pay that to join, then pay a nominal fee when you use the range? Not you pay that, then you can use as much as you want, right?

So, you pay that to join, then pay a nominal fee when you use the range? Not you pay that, then you can use as much as you want, right?

I pay 35.00 at my club but it only has outside pistol and gun ranges, skeet and trap leagues, and and archery range. Everything is included in the 35.00. The one I posted above I’ve never been to but it sounds like it has an indoor range but that costs extra. I think my buddy shoots league there. I know he shoots indoor as he asked me to shoot practice with him sometime.

You're living right! We found a place local, he charges $30 a person for two hours, outdoor only, and we think it's a deal!

Our outdoor range went fron $100 to $150 Last November. It's not fancy either. 50-360 yard rifle range with a 20 yard pistol section. No, he doesnt put a lot of time or money on maintenance.

20230705_144024.jpg

20221202_122802.jpg

This sniper is our own @68gtxman during a visit last Thanksgiving.

FYI the big annual night operations training summit kicks off tomorrow. It is a big deal and well attended.Multiple Instructors, kind of a who’s who of guys. Check out Greenline Tactical training. It is owned and ran by a couple of pretty good buddies of mine. @WV64Signet may know the principal owner Don Edwards? Good dude.

FYI the big annual night operations training summit kicks off tomorrow. It is a big deal and well attended.Multiple Instructors, kind of a who’s who of guys. Check out Greenline Tactical training. It is owned and ran by a couple of pretty good buddies of mine. @WV64Signet may know the principal owner Don Edwards? Good dude.
Sounds like a fun time

I have been gathering up parts and pieces to build a 300 blackout for this armors class I am about to take. It is a budget build. I want the knowledge and don’t really care about the quality of the rifle per se. It is basically just a bunch of Mil-Spec components. The AR platform is very straightforward but I want to understand more of the whys behind design. Many of my customers talk about building their own AR but essentially all they do is purchase a lower and upper already assembled and pin them together. In my mind that is not building your own, until the tiny spring and detent from the mag release button launches out of fixture on you it is not the same!

I have been gathering up parts and pieces to build a 300 blackout for this armors class I am about to take. It is a budget build. I want the knowledge and don’t really care about the quality of the rifle per se. It is basically just a bunch of Mil-Spec components. The AR platform is very straightforward but I want to understand more of the whys behind design. Many of my customers talk about building their own AR but essentially all they do is purchase a lower and upper already assembled and pin them together. In my mind that is not building your own, until the tiny spring and detent from the mag release button launches out of fixture on you it is not the same!

Sounds like a raffle/auction build :rolleyes:

Wow. That’s nuts.

That's normal. The prices @fratzog lover posted are more the norm.
The indoor range I use is 100 for membership, then zero additional to shoot but you have to buy their ammo. (with a few exceptions).
(They also give free vouchers for people who buy a gun at the store to encourage them to come back and practice)

I've looked at outdoor clubs in SE Pa and they are all about 100 to 200 annually, some with other requirements like helping with maintaing the facility, attending meeting, etc etc . Those with more facilities cost a little more. And hardly any openings available to new members. Get on a waiting list and then wait.

That's normal. The prices @fratzog lover posted are more the norm.
The indoor range I use is 100 for membership, then zero additional to shoot but you have to buy their ammo. (with a few exceptions).
(They also give free vouchers for people who buy a gun at the store to encourage them to come back and practice)

I've looked at outdoor clubs in SE Pa and they are all about 100 to 200 annually, some with other requirements like helping with maintaing the facility, attending meeting, etc etc . Those with more facilities cost a little more. And hardly any openings available to new members. Get on a waiting list and then wait.
Bryan looks like a professional sighting in that .243, doesnt he?

Well I got this almost two weeks ago and my leg pain was finally tamed down enough to let me run a magazine through my 22 so I could see how much quieter it was. I’m very satisfied. I also just received my new range bag from Amazon. I didn’t even put a target up as I had to shoot sitting on my sons gang box out of his truck.

IMG_0310.jpeg

IMG_0307.jpeg

Well I got this almost two weeks ago and my leg pain was finally tamed down enough to let me run a magazine through my 22 so I could see how much quieter it was. I’m very satisfied. I also just received my new range bag from Amazon. I didn’t even put a target up as I had to shoot sitting on my sons gang box out of his truck.

View attachment 1716167378

View attachment 1716167379
Do a bit of research at your local stores and you might be able to find some different 22 ammo that will make it even quieter. Nice rig!

-
Back