Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
Hornady sent me some **** for the Holidays!

IMG_4215.jpeg

I just dropped five hundred bucks on paper targets tying to leverage Black Friday pricing. The discount was to good not to take advantage of it. Hopefully that will get me thru the year. I average about forty full size targets per class. The B8s are much easier and frankly I prefer them As my go to target for all things, But students do not like them.

I thought I remembered this. Ballistic does a yearly wrap up and their criteria is pretty darn exhaustive. I do not see a lot of bias. They explain the point system then openly show each guns scoring. Can’t get more fair than that. I do not always agree with their findings but I cannot challenge their protocol.

IMG_4216.jpeg

I thought I remembered this. Ballistic does a yearly wrap up and their criteria is pretty darn exhaustive. I do not see a lot of bias. They explain the point system then openly show each guns scoring. Can’t get more fair than that. I do not always agree with their findings but I cannot challenge their protocol.

View attachment 1716170985

Go Mossberg!

:thumbsup:

So Daughter in law has finally hit the wall on deer hunting. Her husband has her set up with a straight stock, bolt action, no drop, knock you senseless thirty caliber rifle That weighs about six hundred pounds. Foot note: she weighs literally just under 100 pounds, at I think 5-02. She has carried the six hundred pound rifle for the last time this weekend. At the start of the season rather than contradict our Son in front of her I pulled her aside and told her when she got fed up with the rifle to come see me! She said fine but did not understand at the time. She is an avid squirrel and duck hunter but has never pursued deer. She was on two bucks yesterday but could not manipulate the overly large rifle into a position to shoot. She reached out this morning and said she is inbound! I have had a Savage 110 in 243 setup for her, just waiting. Our deer are rarely over 100 pounds and a 243 is perfect for her. It is short stocked as well. It hurt me watching her sight in the thirty cal at start of season at the bench. I dialed it in then our boy wanted her to shoot it to verify zero. Two shots and she was done. It knocked her into next week. I can’t wait to let her see the difference today. She is just a absolute hunting machine but never deer till this year. Our boy married up for sure.

IMG_8638.jpeg

The B8s are much easier and frankly I prefer them As my go to target for all things, But students do not like them.
They are my go to as well. It seems like a good standard for pistol out to 25 yards. The bullseye creates a decent sight picture and is not too large and not too small for either 6 o'clock or POA.
What don't your students like about them?

They are my go to as well. It seems like a good standard for pistol out to 25 yards. The bullseye creates a decent sight picture and is not too large and not too small for either 6 o'clock or POA.
What don't your students like about them?
Highlights Skill or lack thereof with merciless precision! And to be honest we are teaching combat defensive shooting typically, and the B8 is geared towards competitive shooting. It is still my favorite tho.

Highlights Skill or lack thereof with merciless precision! And to be honest we are teaching combat defensive shooting typically, and the B8 is geared towards competitive shooting. It is still my favorite tho.
Ha! Guess its a dwindling number of us that were introduced to shooting on the 50 foot NRA Jr Marksmanship program. Learn your fundementals or you're stuck in prone forever!
Nothing wrong with some humble pie. I eat it a lot myself.
Honestly I can't think of any situation more critical to staying on target than a defensive shooting.

So Daughter in law has finally hit the wall on deer hunting. Her husband has her set up with a straight stock, bolt action, no drop, knock you senseless thirty caliber rifle That weighs about six hundred pounds. Foot note: she weighs literally just under 100 pounds, at I think 5-02. She has carried the six hundred pound rifle for the last time this weekend. At the start of the season rather than contradict our Son in front of her I pulled her aside and told her when she got fed up with the rifle to come see me! She said fine but did not understand at the time. She is an avid squirrel and duck hunter but has never pursued deer. She was on two bucks yesterday but could not manipulate the overly large rifle into a position to shoot. She reached out this morning and said she is inbound! I have had a Savage 110 in 243 setup for her, just waiting. Our deer are rarely over 100 pounds and a 243 is perfect for her. It is short stocked as well. It hurt me watching her sight in the thirty cal at start of season at the bench. I dialed it in then our boy wanted her to shoot it to verify zero. Two shots and she was done. It knocked her into next week. I can’t wait to let her see the difference today. She is just a absolute hunting machine but never deer till this year. Our boy married up for sure.

View attachment 1716171015
I was thinking 110 243 before I even got to the information. Lol

I love the bullet chart. I wonder if I could buy one.

View attachment 1716171015
Excellent rifle, excellent caliber. I think all Savage .243 rifles are 1 in 9.25 twist, so it may not like some 100 grain White tail ammo. If not, something like Sierra GameKing in 85 grain HPBT may be just the ticket. Or Norma Oryx. Certainly easier on her shoulder!

I love the bullet chart. I wonder if I could buy one.

Excellent rifle, excellent caliber. I think all Savage .243 rifles are 1 in 9.25 twist, so it may not like some 100 grain White tail ammo. If not, something like Sierra GameKing in 85 grain HPBT may be just the ticket. Or Norma Oryx. Certainly easier on her shoulder!
I got a spare, send me a PM and I can get it to you

We just got a note from customer service manager, for all you guys that use trail boss. It is out of production right now but not discontinued. Raw material shortages due to Ukraine and Israel are effecting production. Hopefully resume here in a few months. FYI

Well last of the kinfolk just left. Great time but holy smokes, I am emotionally wiped out! Heck even the hounds are wiped. I can only be on good behavior for so long. At some point I invariably say something, while technically very correct, it is very socially incorrect. Example yesterday, telling older female relative to “just take a breath” so I could speak to Jodi. Man was I popular for a minute! Out of my mouth before I could even think to ask her politely to please just stop talking for a minute! Family dynamics at their best! And her Sister who is 82? Whom we have not seen in thirty plus years decided to stay with us to save money. Keep in mind this relative has zero understanding of why our half of family all wears body armor and carry’s guns to work. And has absolutely no understanding of working dogs. I held a family meeting with all the guests explaining the dos and do nots when sharing space with K9s. I emphasized the relationship the dogs have with grandson who was spending the night as well. Simply put do not lay your hands on the boy. Well……….. some folks just can’t connect the dots, that is, until the point they have a 110 pounds of Shepard crossing the room at a high rate of speed emitting that warning woof that comes from way down deep that cannot be replicated by a small dog. Instant and total recall, she unhanded the boy like he was on fire! I did my best not to hyena laugh. (I dont like her, and neither does Hemi) I shared this picture before but not the “back story”. I took this post event while Hemi was still giving her some serious stink eye. And that my friends is “ The rest of the story”

IMG_0823.jpeg

Well last of the kinfolk just left. Great time but holy smokes, I am emotionally wiped out! Heck even the hounds are wiped. I can only be on good behavior for so long. At some point I invariably say something, while technically very correct, it is very socially incorrect. Example yesterday, telling older female relative to “just take a breath” so I could speak to Jodi. Man was I popular for a minute! Out of my mouth before I could even think to ask her politely to please just stop talking for a minute! Family dynamics at their best! And her Sister who is 82? Whom we have not seen in thirty plus years decided to stay with us to save money. Keep in mind this relative has zero understanding of why our half of family all wears body armor and carry’s guns to work. And has absolutely no understanding of working dogs. I held a family meeting with all the guests explaining the dos and do nots when sharing space with K9s. I emphasized the relationship the dogs have with grandson who was spending the night as well. Simply put do not lay your hands on the boy. Well……….. some folks just can’t connect the dots, that is, until the point they have a 110 pounds of Shepard crossing the room at a high rate of speed emitting that warning woof that comes from way down deep that cannot be replicated by a small dog. Instant and total recall, she unhanded the boy like he was on fire! I did my best not to hyena laugh. (I dont like her, and neither does Hemi) I shared this picture before but not the “back story”. I took this post event while Hemi was still giving her some serious stink eye. And that my friends is “ The rest of the story”

View attachment 1716171484
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: I'm sorry, but that's funny.

Last edited:

View attachment 1716171484
Ha, some folks just don't get it.

Ha, some folks just don't get it.
Yep! Those of us with Shepard’s know darn good and well what the “ear ****“ means. You are about an inch from having a very bad dog experience! You can see in the pix Hemi still has her ear cocked and full on stink eye! I had to also explain there will be no hugging me or back slapping me. Overall it really went well with the one older female exception. In her defense I think she has never had a dog. She was appalled the Mal would jump up in my lap. Kind of like those folks who have never had children, and they start going on and on about what their kids would and would not do. Heck with four kids any day that did not end in the ER was a win!

Well today I am going to migrate over to a buddies shop. I need a “carbine” length gas tube and I know he will have one. Plus the miserable little clip for dust cover. Once I acquire those parts I think I am ready for school. I should probably get a couple of those itty bitty dust cover clips. They are miserable to put on if you have orangutang mitts. Down side is he lives alone and is a talker. No such thing as getting out of his shop in less than two hours. Just a plain good guy tho. I took him a ham last time I stopped by. He lost his wife a few years back then lost his boy about two years ago. The hospice lady for his boy now lives with him full time. She is good people as well. She needed a hand up and he helped her and her family up. He has a big heart.

I have to say, even though this is not a big giant round, I love my new family member as Sublime one said in the coffee thread, hope to set up and shoot a few 115 grain round today and plink 125 yards, keep everyone updated

20231126_143049.jpg

20231126_143105.jpg

20231126_143012.jpg

20231126_142928.jpg

Well, the old .257 Roberts got ‘er done tonight!! Love that little gun! Think the bullet got a bit amiss after hitting a rib but we had snow and found him at the end of it!! God is good!!

E1F5688B-9876-4F6E-A056-F4BAA4BE9D46.jpeg

7135E42B-03B2-49FA-9ECD-F5CCFE8D5A12.jpeg

Well, the old .257 Roberts got ‘er done tonight!! Love that little gun! Think the bullet got a bit amiss after hitting a rib but we had snow and found him at the end of it!! God is good!!

View attachment 1716171988

View attachment 1716171989
Woo Hoo! As I have stated a time or two that round is near and dear to my heart. It just plain rocks! Congrats on a beauty right there! Snow is your friend for sure.

Killed my first deer with a rifle with this gun in 1991. I usually go to my .260 Remington or my .308, but this year decided it was time to get this one back in the rotation! Glad I did! God is good!

-
Back