Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
That one looks very similar to the one I just downloaded from Thingyverse. That price is not bad for it either. But being the cheapskate that I am, I will print my own.LOL And I definately hear ya about keeping out of the bars for a while! Every minute I spend in my reloading room or my 3D printing room is a bonus for me! I find that I am reloading so much that I will never be able to shoot it all! But it is so soothing to do, that I just keep going. Usually I get such a surplus after a while, that I invite a bunch of friends to the range with the prospect of free ammo to blast through. We all get a thrill out of that. I don't even know why I am going to print this new jig, as I have about a thousand .300 BLK rounds ready to shoot and another 650 primed brass all formed up and packed away.

Everglades Ammo quite often has decent brass and projectile prices. I’ve loaded and shot a lot of their 55 grain FMJ and PSP .223 bullets with good success. They have new 300 BO brass at $75/250.

That one looks very similar to the one I just downloaded from Thingyverse. That price is not bad for it either. But being the cheapskate that I am, I will print my own.LOL And I definately hear ya about keeping out of the bars for a while! Every minute I spend in my reloading room or my 3D printing room is a bonus for me! I find that I am reloading so much that I will never be able to shoot it all! But it is so soothing to do, that I just keep going. Usually I get such a surplus after a while, that I invite a bunch of friends to the range with the prospect of free ammo to blast through. We all get a thrill out of that. I don't even know why I am going to print this new jig, as I have about a thousand .300 BLK rounds ready to shoot and another 650 primed brass all formed up and packed away.
I'll let you know how it works when it gets here next week. I wanted the aluminum one with the detent that you push them through but it's almost $40. I'll make one at some point, I can't help myself. I made a .223 chamber reamer from scratch, just to say I did and to learn a few things. Not a work of art but it cuts well and the rifle runs as normal.
You need to keep making brass because you never come back with as many as you left with. That makes my heart cry when I use my 6mmPDK wildcat (6.8spc case necked down and blown out) for highpower competition and the cases go flying into the long grass during the rapids, never to be seen again. I put significant work into each one of those and it took a while to make up 300 pieces. That reminds me that I need to find my brass catcher for next load testing session.

Made it to the range today for a little before snowmaggedon started. It was 30 degrees with a ~20mph wind, not very pleasant. But I got the nightforce zeroed, it's crazy how bright the image is looking through it. Crystal clear and bright. Looking forward to heading back to the 500 and ring more steel.

I might have just ordered a can for it too, i got way too good of a deal to pass up.

Like you I find reloading soothing and quite therapeutic! I am sure there is some Freudian reason. But man the time just melts away when I am in there.

I'll let you know how it works when it gets here next week. I wanted the aluminum one with the detent that you push them through but it's almost $40. I'll make one at some point, I can't help myself. I made a .223 chamber reamer from scratch, just to say I did and to learn a few things. Not a work of art but it cuts well and the rifle runs as normal.
You need to keep making brass because you never come back with as many as you left with. That makes my heart cry when I use my 6mmPDK wildcat (6.8spc case necked down and blown out) for highpower competition and the cases go flying into the long grass during the rapids, never to be seen again. I put significant work into each one of those and it took a while to make up 300 pieces. That reminds me that I need to find my brass catcher for next load testing session.
I feel your pain, those of us that reload and shoot matches. We never come home with all the brass. At one range where I am a guest Instructor the owners boys and his buddies have created quite the side hustle off the students. They negotiate a deal with the students to pick up the brass as the range has a steadfast rule thou shalt pick up thine brass. Now picture a class comprised of say a dozen middle age folks, most not in pristine weight class. That just dumped 6-800 rounds on the ground on a hot Summers day. The class is over, they are whipped physically and mentally. I explain after a breather we need to go pick up all our brass. In swoops a couple young enterprising youths who explain for a fee they will do it. Looks like a strip club in there as them guys are all fishing twenties out of their pockets and tossing it to the youths armed with nothing but ambition and a bucket! Merica!

I feel your pain, those of us that reload and shoot matches. We never come home with all the brass. At one range where I am a guest Instructor the owners boys and his buddies have created quite the side hustle off the students. They negotiate a deal with the students to pick up the brass as the range has a steadfast rule thou shalt pick up thine brass. Now picture a class comprised of say a dozen middle age folks, most not in pristine weight class. That just dumped 6-800 rounds on the ground on a hot Summers day. The class is over, they are whipped physically and mentally. I explain after a breather we need to go pick up all our brass. In swoops a couple young enterprising youths who explain for a fee they will do it. Looks like a strip club in there as them guys are all fishing twenties out of their pockets and tossing it to the youths armed with nothing but ambition and a bucket! Merica!
:lol:

So since we are in the reloading rabbit hole here is a pix of my trusty Rock Crusher Supreme. It is my go to single stage. Yes I run all Dillions once I get up and running but I like to single stage first step. And let me tell you there is a difference in single stage presses. My rock crusher tips the scales at 18.6 pounds naked. My traveling single stage presses, again RCBS (RS5) tip the scales at 5.8 pounds naked. I have them mounted on a heavy wood cutting board so I can clamp them anywhere. The extra weight and leverage the rock crusher provides exponentially less work on the operator. Inline fabrication has some sexy add ons for the RC which I have ordered but they are not here yet. They get rid of the miserable design on the spent primer catch bins. (Pet peeve)

IMG_1011.jpeg

IMG_1010.jpeg

That is a beast! I have an old RC II that has been faithful to me for the past 30 years or so. I only do rifle stuff, as I haven’t messed with handgun reloading yet. I did pick up a second set of .223 dies that had a .22-250 resizing/depriming die with it for some reason.

Nice, I also have a nice rock chucker that i use for heavy duty rifle loading. And a second rock chucker that I set up for forming .223 bullets out of spent .22LR shells. But the bulk of my loading (pistol calibers) is done on Lee single stage presses that I have mounted to plywood blocks with holes in them that coincide with threaded inserts in my reloading bench. I also have a Lee Pro 1000 that can be set up for just about all of the pistol calibers that I load for, but I haven't used it in years. Back when the pandemic was in high gear, reloading presses were fetching a nice premium online. I weeded out my presses and sold a Lyman turret press, a Lee Loadmaster press, a Mec JR 12ga press, and a few Lee single stage presses, to buy powder and primers! Now I only have three Lee single stage and the two rock chuckers and the Pro 1000. I always find it amazing that we collect all this stuff over the years, and don't even know just what we have!

Nice, I also have a nice rock chucker that i use for heavy duty rifle loading. And a second rock chucker that I set up for forming .223 bullets out of spent .22LR shells. But the bulk of my loading (pistol calibers) is done on Lee single stage presses that I have mounted to plywood blocks with holes in them that coincide with threaded inserts in my reloading bench. I also have a Lee Pro 1000 that can be set up for just about all of the pistol calibers that I load for, but I haven't used it in years. Back when the pandemic was in high gear, reloading presses were fetching a nice premium online. I weeded out my presses and sold a Lyman turret press, a Lee Loadmaster press, a Mec JR 12ga press, and a few Lee single stage presses, to buy powder and primers! Now I only have three Lee single stage and the two rock chuckers and the Pro 1000. I always find it amazing that we collect all this stuff over the years, and don't even know just what we have!
Fact right there!
I did exact same thing. I shed a couple Lee single stages and all my MEC shotgun loaders with exception of 12/20. I scored big on all my 28 stuff. Those hulls are priceless. I thinned down to Dillion/ rock chucker and a couple portable single stage greens. Who knows there may be a call for teaching reloading again?

Installed a Noveske flush-mount QD. Along with adding an MLOK QD to the MLOK on the forestock, hangs MUCH nicer than 'factory'!

PXL_20240115_000959215.jpg

The Dillion 550 is my workhorse progressive. The 750s can out run it but they are a bit finicky, the 550 just runs.
Wow! I wish I had the room that you have there my friend! That is one well thought out play room! It looks like a great therapy session location. I couldn't tell you why, but for some reason I could never warm up to the Dillon loaders. They definitely are sleek looking machines.

Wow! I wish I had the room that you have there my friend! That is one well thought out play room! It looks like a great therapy session location. I couldn't tell you why, but for some reason I could never warm up to the Dillon loaders. They definitely are sleek looking machines.
My loyalty to Blue is a very common story. As a young competitive shooter, freshly married, with a growing family money was very tight. I was putting up hay, cutting wood, welding plus my 8-5 gig, anything to just get by.Keep in mind this is late seventies early eighties. RCBS, Lyman, and Lee ruled the roost. But their equipment was so high priced and customer service so arrogant at RCBS I simply could not afford it. Along came Mike Dillion who decided to go gloves off with the green gorilla in the room. He came out with some very innovative equipment. Now to be clear, at this point his presses did not even have a removable head. Long story short I tore his equipment up a time or two as a direct result-of my ineptitude and ignorance of all things reloading. No internet back then, I would call up Dillion, confess my sins, explain what I broke and ask to purchase a replacement piece. The answer is The exact same today, as it was back then. You broke it, we don’t care how. What is your mailing address? we will send you a new one. Nobody in the industry did that back then. Dillion was new kid and had to do something to lure away long time green and red users to a then unheard of system. Then he came out with the removable head. The pundits crucified him. Much like the uproar over breech loading a rifle vs muzzle loading. It was ahead of its time, claims against reliability,accuracy and functionality turned out to be false. The actual shooters and end users were ecstatic. The rest is as they say, is History. I have a smattering of red and yellow but my bench is basically blue plus a bit of green!
Disclaimer: I am not associated with, in any way, shape, or form with Dillion. I doubt they even know I am alive! Hah!

1705377028906.png

When i was a youth, my parents were avid scuba divers and a few of their swimming holes were along side golf courses

Ive spend many a day snorkeling in those mudholes with a mesh bag to pick up golf balls i then sold back to the golf course

Nuff said!
you are killing me smalls! Do you have anything that is just plain Jane? Every time you post a picture I turn green with envy, drool a little bit. Can’t string five words together. You got it going on up there. I know the good book says it is a sin but there is some definite coveting going on over here! Hah!
LOL. I spent a decade doing nothing, but putting together a pre-ban SIG collection. I had great friends and contacts, and managed to assemble one of the most complete collections in N. America. All but two of the rifles have moved on, as well as the accessories and stuff. I went thru a bunch of SIG rifles in trading and upgrading.
Below...510-4, AMT, PE-90, 551, 540, 542, PE-57, and 550- sniper.

000_0872.JPG

post SIG PE57 [small].jpg

post SIG 550-sniper outside.jpg

Last edited:
Well I carried a pocket knife from 1975 till 2015 when I started carrying a pistol. Of all things a Harbor Freight post on Facebook stirred my interest again when they added a new knife to the inventory. Well they sold out of stock immediately and cost 40.00. I don’t ever buy the best of the best but I try to research and get some bang for my buck. I picked up a highly rated Civivi brand for just under 30.00. I’m sure now that I have one in my pocket again this won’t be my last purchase.

IMG_1293.jpeg

IMG_1284.jpeg

IMG_1283.jpeg

Well I carried a pocket knife from 1975 till 2015 when I started carrying a pistol. Of all things a Harbor Freight post on Facebook stirred my interest again when they added a new knife to the inventory. Well they sold out of stock immediately and cost 40.00. I don’t ever buy the best of the best but I try to research and get some bang for my buck. I picked up a highly rated Civivi brand for just under 30.00. I’m sure now that I have one in my pocket again this won’t be my last purchase.

View attachment 1716194104

View attachment 1716194105

View attachment 1716194106
Don’t drop it, you will never find it!

-
Back