Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
As a reloader I typically no longer use boxs, instead I use stackable ammo cans. I put a duct tape label on the end with desc and count. Sonic subsonic fps recipe etc. For the most part I do pretty good at keeping up. In the case of 45-70 not so much! I get lazy there because I only shoot one version, one recipe!
Use gaffers' tape. No glue left behind when you peel it.

LOL. I spent a decade doing nothing, but putting together a pre-ban SIG collection. I had great friends and contacts, and managed to assemble one of the most complete collections in N. America. All but two of the rifles have moved on, as well as the accessories and stuff. I went thru a bunch of SIG rifles in trading and upgrading.
Below...510-4, AMT, PE-90, 551, 540, 542, PE-57, and 550- sniper.

View attachment 1716193553

View attachment 1716193554

View attachment 1716193556
I don’t even know what to say, that is an amazing spread! Thanks for posting it. Not many folks have ever seen that many in one place before. I certainly have not.

Well me being me, doing shotgun quals today I may have accidentally snuck in my defensive shotgun! Shooting fast moving airborne clays with a Holosun 510, while not instinctive by any means is in fact doable. As soon as I looked thru the sight and saw the dot everything I ever knew about shotguns evacuated my head. I saw the dot and aimed the shotgun, no follow thru no lead just straight up bone head aim! I dropped the first two clays by a mile. Then it dawned on me, I was still using a shotgun and I was busting them after That. It was a hoot! I felt like I was in a submarine looking thru a periscope. i swung the shotgun found the clay, put it in the doughnut and darned if they wouldn’t break. Total hoot!

IMG_1035.jpeg

I don’t even know what to say, that is an amazing spread! Thanks for posting it. Not many folks have ever seen that many in one place before. I certainly have not.
Thank you. At one time, I had 2-3 dozen pre-bans at once. I'll see if I can find the picture of 5 550's in my safe together. I was consumed and worked at it 24-7. This was before internet.

Well I carried a pocket knife from 1975 till 2015 when I started carrying a pistol. Of all things a Harbor Freight post on Facebook stirred my interest again when they added a new knife to the inventory. Well they sold out of stock immediately and cost 40.00. I don’t ever buy the best of the best but I try to research and get some bang for my buck. I picked up a highly rated Civivi brand for just under 30.00. I’m sure now that I have one in my pocket again this won’t be my last purchase.

View attachment 1716194104

View attachment 1716194105

My son brought a buddy to church the other day, and the conversation turned to pocket knives
I guess his buddy was surprised to see people in church carry knives, so they asked every one they saw if they had a blade on them...they ended up averaging just over 1 knife per person

Want sharp? Hit 'em with the leather after you get them off the fine stone :thumbsup:
My grandfather was a mason (the building kind, not the secret society one) and he would use a strap and put some cement dust on it, talk about an edge

My grandfather was a mason (the building kind, not the secret society one) and he would use a strap and put some cement dust on it, talk about an edge
:thumbsup: when I was at SLC 6 at Vandenberg one of my jobs was to run the temporary elevator on the skinny red thing in the middle there

1705638402040.png

I had lotsa time to sit around waitin' for those crazy iron workers to ring my bell for me to come an fetch them. I had my knife sharpening stuff in my little storage box in the lift. I always had beer $$ while I operated that lift :lol:

Old they may be, but like us that is still wicked effective!

I bought this when I was out in Pennsylvania Dutch country with my parents and family in their travel trailer. I’m sitting in the motorhome that night and sharpened my carry knife. My mom ask if I could do her cooking knives and I said yes but be careful with them. The warning didn’t sink in. Right through the tomato and into her palm. I think the warning maybe lessened the damage as it wasn’t terrible but it for sure was a bleeder.

Easy to underestimate...I thought I had sharp kitchen knives, til I got some actual sharp kitchen knives. I'd love to get my pocket knife (CRKT) to that level...

You all will laugh and I am clearly not trying to start a culinary off shoot for our thread! But I grew up with no Mother, I know explains a lot right? Anyway as a result, I love to cook, as does my Father and our boys. We all, as the man of the house do the majority of the cooking. And I don’t mean weekend breakfast, I mean dinner every single night kind of cooking! So anyway long story short I love to go to culinary classes, ultimately I decided to take a knife class from a renowned chef/Knife master. It was coolest cooking class I have ever taken. Our family watches me cut slice chop in the kitchen and asks me to teach them. Kind of funny. The key is not my knife skill but the quality of knife! Makes all the difference in the world! I have been toying with getting a forge to produce my own knives, but what I know about knife making wouldn’t fill a thimble. Just looks like yet another black hole for money. If I do that I might as well buy a boat!

You all will laugh and I am clearly not trying to start a culinary off shoot for our thread! But I grew up with no Mother, I know explains a lot right? Anyway as a result, I love to cook, as does my Father and our boys. We all, as the man of the house do the majority of the cooking. And I don’t mean weekend breakfast, I mean dinner every single night kind of cooking! So anyway long story short I love to go to culinary classes, ultimately I decided to take a knife class from a renowned chef/Knife master. It was coolest cooking class I have ever taken. Our family watches me cut slice chop in the kitchen and asks me to teach them. Kind of funny. The key is not my knife skill but the quality of knife! Makes all the difference in the world! I have been toying with getting a forge to produce my own knives, but what I know about knife making wouldn’t fill a thimble. Just looks like yet another black hole for money. If I do that I might as well buy a boat!

Hey watch those boat comments. I bought myself a used 16 foot fishing boat in 2010 when I retired. I haven’t been out in it yet. Lol

If it floats, has wheels or boobs, it's gonna give ya problems. lol. Might as well by a Pullmax too SLO

That's pretty cool! I'd love to be able to slice real fast and thin, like a chef. I don't cook, but I help my wife.
There may be better, but we got a couple Wusthof Classic Ikon knives, and those things just feel right, and put everything else we have to shame. They're 'cut paper in midair' sharp.

-
Back