Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
View attachment 1716195409
The steel needs to be CLEAN but we dig these in the kitchen!
Very nice, there is just no substitute for a quality knife. I went years and years not really understanding that, thinking a knife was a knife! Kind of like an analogy I use when teaching students the difference between effective and efficient. When you need to put gas in your truck, you can grab a can and walk to station, fill it, then walk home and put the gas in your truck. Totally effective and meets the objective. Alternatively you can stop on your way home and fill your truck with gas and continue on home. No more effective than the prior method but infinitely more efficient.

Only two more days till Shot Show out in Vegas. I am very excited to see the evolution of suppression devices this year. I have heard a bunch of teaser info on next gen type stuff but nothing concrete. I have also heard there will be a plethora of NV innovation. As the market gets more and more diverse it really drops the price down for end user. The scope category sounds like it will be busting at the seams with innovation as well. All good news for us the end users! Only down side is we are still hearing rumblings with regard to powder and primers for those that reload. Available components are going to stay inflated on pricing. Arghh! And supply tight.

Since we’re on the food side of things currently, this was my weekend project. 60/40 venison to pork brats! Chilly cheesesteak, garlic and onion, and Sheboygan style. 28# of brats and 8# as fresh sausage!!

IMG_3044.jpeg

Since we’re on the food side of things currently, this was my weekend project. 60/40 venison to pork brats! Chilly cheesesteak, garlic and onion, and Sheboygan style. 28# of brats and 8# as fresh sausage!!

View attachment 1716195966
That fits right here! Mmmm yummy! One of the benefits of our hobby, harvesting yummy food! Our boy just bought a serious grinder after struggling with a small one for years. The new one weighs about a zillion pounds! His wife can’t pick it up! But man o man two deer ground in less than forty minutes! Thing is a beast!

Well I fear the torch has passed, my little dog (62 pounds) the Mal pup cut her pad on the front foot during this last ice event. I have been doctoring it and keeping her from putting the extra miles on it. She is favoring it pretty well. Long story short we have grandson here this weekend. Hemi the big (110 pounds) Eastern European GSD who is aging will tolerate zero nonsense when it comes to the boy. She got overly aggressive protecting the boy from the Pup. Long story short the pup is hurt and as a result has been a bit grouchy. Hemi stepped over the line and the Pup went all Mal on the big Shepard. This day has been coming for a long time. It is just sad but I fully understand the pack mentality and the timing of old dog vs young dog. It broke my heart but the pup tore Hemi up. Admittedly Hemi started it, but she was just not agile enough to finish it. Hemi has been by my side for 13 years. The Pup did not back down or stop, it was difficult to get them sorted out. There is now no mistake with regard to who is Alpha female. Thankfully i am not at the Vets this evening. Just some bruised pride and a spooked Dad! I fully realize I am not far from making a very difficult decision on the big dog, but as long as she can still run a bit and lounge in the sun we will keep adapting.

Glad it wasn't any worse than that. Maybe Hemi'll defer treats first to the young one (that's how ours behave), but she still gets treats, so there you go.

Well I fear the torch has passed, my little dog (62 pounds) the Mal pup cut her pad on the front foot during this last ice event. I have been doctoring it and keeping her from putting the extra miles on it. She is favoring it pretty well. Long story short we have grandson here this weekend. Hemi the big (110 pounds) Eastern European GSD who is aging will tolerate zero nonsense when it comes to the boy. She got overly aggressive protecting the boy from the Pup. Long story short the pup is hurt and as a result has been a bit grouchy. Hemi stepped over the line and the Pup went all Mal on the big Shepard. This day has been coming for a long time. It is just sad but I fully understand the pack mentality and the timing of old dog vs young dog. It broke my heart but the pup tore Hemi up. Admittedly Hemi started it, but she was just not agile enough to finish it. Hemi has been by my side for 13 years. The Pup did not back down or stop, it was difficult to get them sorted out. There is now no mistake with regard to who is Alpha female. Thankfully i am not at the Vets this evening. Just some bruised pride and a spooked Dad! I fully realize I am not far from making a very difficult decision on the big dog, but as long as she can still run a bit and lounge in the sun we will keep adapting.

These pets we love make us do some tough things at times. Sorry.

In my case: The brats are stuffed in hog casings and the sausage is just loose frozen in freezer bags. Speaking of that, I’m going to have some for breakfast!!!

Wow, my nerves would be in bad shape after that, been there with two Male boxers, Buddy was 3 the other was 5, so they locked up and Buddy hurt the other boxers noise and eye by the time we got them apart. Buddy got tour into on his chest... my hart pounds just typing this.
Glad they are settling in and hope that's the end of that for awhile cousin

Glad it wasn't any worse than that. Maybe Hemi'll defer treats first to the young one (that's how ours behave), but she still gets treats, so there you go.
Yep, as you can imagine you can’t just give one dog a treat and not the other. So in accordance with pack mentality I always toss the treat to the old dog first then the young dog. Although Hemis eyesight is deteriorating to the point if I toss the treat she now misses catching them on occasion. Anyway point being big dog always is served first, thus reinforcing and complying with pack mentality. I will have to ponder this aspect as I did not think thru the ramifications last night of the dust up. I was more focused on the patch up! This is just one of the prices we pay with two breeds that are bred to be warriors and very protective. This little Mal just has so much personality and pure athleticism that I am contemplating rescuing another one. But then I think back to when Hemi was two and holy smokes what a force. I thought I had a hurricane on my hands. Thanks for letting me vent guys.

Have the same here, but the wife made sure the two females know she is the alpha. So far so good but Brandy like Gracie is pushing the envelope.

Wow imagine that. If you stop sharpening knives you forget how to sharpen knives. I guess my first mistake was doing in on my TV dinner table while watching tv. Lol

PSA for all y’all rocking RCBS rock chuckers. In-line fabrication has this super cool upgrade kit that eliminates the miserable spent primer system RCBS has. They also have a kit for wings. Much like Dillion where you can add storage box’s on both sides of the press, greatly reducing the fatigue on the operator. Here are pics of both.

IMG_1134.jpeg

IMG_1135.jpeg

IMG_1136.jpeg

IMG_1137.jpeg

-
Back