H/K brake disassembly

-

38 Dodge

Reaction score
I started to disassemble my 4 pistons brakes but I have one piston I cannot get out so options do I or what can I do to get it out.

I'm a rebuilder for those Kelsey Hayes 4 piston calipers, Bendix, Budd, disc brake systems, and Mopar suspension parts.

Lets see if i can help you out.

You won't have the unique, special, or factory tools that were invented to get pistons out of their bores, but let me show you what some of them look like to give you an idea in what you might do in getting your stuck piston out.

I would tell you to pump it out hydraulically, by using a grease gun.
You need to block off one threaded end with a bolt and get a grease zerk fitting in the other end of the caliper.
You will need to put back the other piston, and limit it from coming out, by using a "C" clamp, or if its the small half of the caliper housing, put it between the jaws of the vice, and slowly open it up, when the grease forces out the stuck piston.

It's sorta, kinda, messy doing it, but it works.

Kinda hard for me to explain, but use your head, and i think you can figure it out.
Jim V.

Attachments

• KH Piston Tool 001 (Small).JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 200
  • Tools 014 [640x480].jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 212
  • Tools 017 [640x480].jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 247
I'm a rebuilder for those Kelsey Hayes 4 piston calipers, Bendix, Budd, disc brake systems, and Mopar suspension parts.

Lets see if i can help you out.

You won't have the unique, special, or factory tools that were invented to get pistons out of their bores, but let me show you what some of them look like to give you an idea in what you might do in getting your stuck piston out.

I would tell you to pump it out hydraulically, by using a grease gun.
You need to block off one threaded end with a bolt and get a grease zerk fitting in the other end of the caliper.
You will need to put back the other piston, and limit it from coming out, by using a "C" clamp, or if its the small half of the caliper housing, put it between the jaws of the vice, and slowly open it up, when the grease forces out the stuck piston.

It's sorta, kinda, messy doing it, but it works.

Kinda hard for me to explain, but use your head, and i think you can figure it out.
Jim V.
Great Advice .
I was going to suggest soaking with penetrate oil and putting a 2x4 in front of the piston and blasting with shop air.
Your method is much safer and I like the grease idea,
Could still use the 2x4 or 1x4 to hold the piston from shooting out.

Great Advice .
I was going to suggest soaking with penetrate oil and putting a 2x4 in front of the piston and blasting with shop air.
Your method is much safer and I like the grease idea,
Could still use the 2x4 or 1x4 to hold the piston from shooting out.
I like to start with using the hydrolics on the car to move those pistons before I disassemble anything but yours is the method I use on a stuck one off the car.....a piece of wood and compressed air. I keep the caliper complete and stick a piece of wood inside where the pads go to keep them from flying around the shop. Once all 4 pistons are broken loose, then disassemble them. I have had a few that won't come loose with just air, so a combo of grease gun and a thermal wrench (torch) will do the trick. Also, sometimes pressing them in further will free them up.

I just got all the little pieces to try the grease method tonight when I get home and will try and take pictures and let everyone know how I do.
Thanks for all the advise.
I have already tried the pushing them in a little bit to get it to break loose but it not work I also have been soaking it in a vat of PB blaster for the last couple of days. I also just ordered the rebuild kit for these brakes and I will be rebuilding them once I get the piston out.
One more quick question does anyone know where I can get the hard line that goes from the one side of the caliber to the other side, one of mine has been kink in it?

One more quick question does anyone know where I can get the hard line that goes from the one side of the caliber to the other side, one of mine has been kink in it?

Fine Lines has them.

Thanks th grease worked like a charm. I did not get any pictures but it worked great.
Thanks again for the info and help one more last question I hope. where can I get replacement bolts and pistons

Thanks th grease worked like a charm. I did not get any pictures but it worked great.
Thanks again for the info and help one more last question I hope. where can I get replacement bolts and pistons

Pistons can be obtained from any parts store that handles the Raybestos line of auto parts.

I have been buying from Rock Auto online, lately, for kits, pistons.

What bolts are you looking for?
The ones that hold the caliper to the spindle?
Those are unobtanium, dinosaur eggs, hens teeth.
You most likely will be forced in using 7/16 x 20 fine thread bolts, by 1 3/4 inch in length, if those are what your needing.

I figured the grease method would work for you, once you figured it out, with a little help from your friends.
Jim V.

Thanks or the help again and I need the dreaded unobtainable bolt. I have one missing from the set I got. I will look up at rock auto for the pistons.

-
Back