H- or X-pipe on side exhaust

-

FISHBREATH

Reaction score
I know the benefit of using an H- or X-pipe in an exhaust system; however, is the benefit achieved only with a full exhaust system? I know the science of using the exhaust pulses to better scavenge the exhaust pipes, but will that matter on a shorter system?

My plan is to have side exhaust (from a somewhat warmer than stock 440) in a '68 'Cuda fastback. I want the pipes to exit just forward of the rear tires, such as with an AAR 'Cuda. I plan on using "header" mufflers bolted to the collectors.

I added a TTI X-pipe and Dynomax Ultra Flo mufflers to my TTI headers ending at the rear housing on my race car. It picked the car up! X-pipe is better than H-pipe if you have the room under the car.

I don't recall the details but I think there will be a difference in performance between having the mufflers at the headers and further back. X-pipes or H-pipes are also recommended to be as close to the headers as possible. Having mufflers first may reduce velocity and hurt the scavanging effect at the "X" downstream. Don't know how much, but it seems like it would reduce the benefits.

I know the benefit of using an H- or X-pipe in an exhaust system; however, is the benefit achieved only with a full exhaust system? I know the science of using the exhaust pulses to better scavenge the exhaust pipes, but will that matter on a shorter system?

My plan is to have side exhaust (from a somewhat warmer than stock 440) in a '68 'Cuda fastback. I want the pipes to exit just forward of the rear tires, such as with an AAR 'Cuda. I plan on using "header" mufflers bolted to the collectors.

sure it works,but i would stay far back from those headermufflers unless you have found some good ones.. most are necked down to 2" or less on the inside:( why not put ,ufflers in the stock location using either magnaflow or dynomax mufflers,both those brands have a 2½" muffler with both inlet and outlet on the same side of the muffler making them usefull for T/A or AAR style exhaust

Loco is right on the muffler placement mention. Actually, the bolt to the header collector is not a great idea if room is available to move them back on. You would be much better off running exhaust pipe into a "X", then into the mufflers with some pipe after the muffler.

Have the pipe bent or use comerically available bends cut and placed as needed. This you can do yourself, it just takes some time to do. Use a chop saw and weld it up.
AAR mufflers are available FYI.
Regular mufflers can be used as well, it's just the pipe after the muffler will be a 90* at a min, or a cut up "J" bend and an additional 45* after it to exit the pipe where you want it.

Thanks all. It is a consensus!

I knew I could get the correct answer to this question here than from any other source. X-pipe it is, then.

Thanks again, you guys are the best.

so...any updates on this? did you use an x pipe side exit exhaust? im interested...

-
Back