H pipe placement

-

wigsplitter74

The Mopar Kid
Reaction score
I just finished building the new 3" stainless for my Duster with stainless flowmasters and T's for the H pipe so I'm asking a lil late but why not. Does anyone know if there's a "sweet spot" to put an H pipe as far as maybe distance from the headers? I thought there might be some kind of rule of thumb for it. I just put it where it fit best and wasn't in the way of anything. Anyone know?

Maybe near the trans tailshaft, I would think if you want to drop the trans you wouldn't want it in the way.

I have read that if you mark the pipes with a crayon the point at which it doesn't burn off is where to put the cross over. I have also read that that isn't the best place and the ideal location is via testing.

Since its going to have a much larger impact on the sound (quieter) than power, I would just put it where its convenient.

Now that is a location I have never heard recomended before.

If you take a look at the exhaust on a NASCAR Sprint cup car the cross over is quite a ways back from the collectors. I would venture a guess that these guys have scienced out about as much as possible the ideal location.

Anything I have read over the last 30 years has always said to place it as close to the collectors as possible.

I always heard it should go about half way between the collectors and the muffler.

I contacted Accuate (sp) Exhaust for advice and they measured an NOS b body for me, so when I had mine built, I had the shop put a flange in between with a gasket that way if I have to drop the transmission I don't have to drop the exhaust, they may some advice for an A body.

i too am planning on running 3" on my 74 duster. 318 car. where did you route it out? how is the fit over your rear axle it looks kinda tight kinda concerns me. got any pics of your work?

I just finished building the new 3" stainless for my Duster with stainless flowmasters and T's for the H pipe so I'm asking a lil late but why not. Does anyone know if there's a "sweet spot" to put an H pipe as far as maybe distance from the headers? I thought there might be some kind of rule of thumb for it. I just put it where it fit best and wasn't in the way of anything. Anyone know?

sound clips please...are they 40 series muffs? they arent polished stainless are they?

-
Back