Ham radio operators?

-

Dartthunder340

Reaction score
Considering getting my license. Any help or tips? Is there any edict or curtesy to know about? I’m under the impression this is a little more “professional conduct” than regular citizen band? Also, any other recommendations? I’m looking at the BaoFeng BF-F8HP to begin with. Thanks for the help!

Unfortunately amateur radio has gotten more "CB like" over the years. There is a constant war going on in the 75 meter band. I have not been on the air much past few years.

In spite of that, if you are headed for technical experimentation, there is lots to offer. Some advice. Don't get "stuck" on an FM repeater, it is a very closed window into the hobby

I would steer you away from the Beaufang stuff and towards more traditional brands, Yaesu, Icom, etc. Even buy used. The FCC recently put the clamps on the no-name / sort of named Chinese import stuff because people were programming them for the commercial bands and they do NOT meet purity and other specifications.

Repeaters can be "clique-ish" and many close them up "private." You may not be welcom on some. Be ready for special codes for access, etc

Try to learn "the right way" and avoid the CB like lingo. "Do ya gotta copy" and "Yeah I gotta good copy on ya" are not only poor grammar, they are right out of Smokey and the Bandit. "How do you read", "How do you hear this station" are much more appropriate.

Some years back I had somebody on a local repeater ask me "what was my first personal" You want to know my name (or handle) just ask

The hobby is certainly not what it used to be. It used to be a sort of fraternity. Now, there are sharks and scammers and jerks just like any other hobby or activity

Thanks 67Dart273, I’ll look into some traditional brands. Was specifically looking for a portable handheld and a quick search brought up BaoFeng stuff, it seemed to fit the bill. Understand I have to study up for the test, really don’t have a lot experience with radio communications or any of that stuff. My motivation is if shtf and just talking about with others. I thought it was a pretty heavily regulated community. As in, if your weren’t a licensed operator, people can get your location and alert authorities. Either way I’ll stay on the up and up. Just thought of the old school way and my grandfather was a communications guy in WW2, thought it would be cool.

Get an Elmer. Thats all I know. My neighbor was my other neighbors elmer and now has his call sign.

For sure find a local "Elmer." There are online test generators, I haven't "been there" for a long time. These imitate the real test in that they generate sample questions at random. There is LOTS of interesting aspects of amateur radio, all the way, as they say, "from DC to daylight." Meaning the entire spectrum.

Some of the most important inventions and discoveries in the world have amateurs to thank.

amateur radio practice test - Google Search

amateur radio test study guide - Google Search

When I took my general test in ? 65 or 66, I didn't even have a dependable car. I was about 18. My Mom drove me to Spokane, about 80mi one way. That was a "big trip" for our family back then. There was a lot of pressure if I had failed LOL. FCC only gave tests in Spokane back then either once or twice a year, I've forgotten. CW test was over a loudspeaker in an incredibly "live" and echo-ee cafateria at one of the local colleges.

When it came time to send I was close to the front of the line. The examiner failed several of the first few, so I was shaken. I only sent (don't remember) a few characters and he waved me to stop. I thought I failed. NOPE!!

If you want to see some of the "heydays" of amateur radio search K6NCG and do a photo search. That was the amateur radio club at Treasure Island, San Francisco, where I went to Navy electronics "A" school in 68-69. There are a few photos of "me" there

K6NCG Callsign Page

K6NCG Amateur Radio Station - Treasure Island, CA

K6NCG

K6NCG - Treasure Island Radio Amateur Club 1969-1970

"Me" on the 120ft tower. This is the first tower, other than trees or a pole, that I ever climbed

Hams_018.jpg

Unfortunately amateur radio has gotten more "CB like" over the years. There is a constant war going on in the 75 meter band. I have not been on the air much past few years.

In spite of that, if you are headed for technical experimentation, there is lots to offer. Some advice. Don't get "stuck" on an FM repeater, it is a very closed window into the hobby

I would steer you away from the Beaufang stuff and towards more traditional brands, Yaesu, Icom, etc. Even buy used. The FCC recently put the clamps on the no-name / sort of named Chinese import stuff because people were programming them for the commercial bands and they do NOT meet purity and other specifications.

Repeaters can be "clique-ish" and many close them up "private." You may not be welcom on some. Be ready for special codes for access, etc

Try to learn "the right way" and avoid the CB like lingo. "Do ya gotta copy" and "Yeah I gotta good copy on ya" are not only poor grammar, they are right out of Smokey and the Bandit. "How do you read", "How do you hear this station" are much more appropriate.

Some years back I had somebody on a local repeater ask me "what was my first personal" You want to know my name (or handle) just ask

The hobby is certainly not what it used to be. It used to be a sort of fraternity. Now, there are sharks and scammers and jerks just like any other hobby or activity
10-4

:poke:

Find a local club. Sometimes they offer classes and are a good resource for local info / operating (edicate/courtesy) questions. If you have specific operating questions I am sure 67Dart273 or myself will answer them.

This site has good reviews on eham.net
HamTestOnline - Ham Radio Exam Courses and Practice Tests

A good used Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom is better than a new whofang. The local custom here is to find a good used transceiver for newly licensed hams for a very reasonable price. Hopefully the local club there does the same. Ask around before buying to much new equipment as you can spend a lot and not get a good benefit from the money spent. HT's are neat to have but a mobile transceiver is more useful.

How difficult it was:

Back then, (65ish) you started out as "Novice" class, and had to use only CW (Morse Code) and got a sliver of the 80, the 40, and the 15 meter bands. And you could use FM on 2 meters, don't remember what if anything else.

You HAD to use crystal control at the transmitter, and as broke as most of use were, this meant 1 or "MAYBE" two crystals. Mine, I remember, was 3725Kcs. My buddy RIP was on 3715.

What you did was, you listened around your crystal frequency and hoped nobody else was on top of you. You either listened "up and down" to band for someone else calling "CQ" or you called. Then you tuned the receiver up and down listening for you call.

Someone would call you, and since they were likely not on your frequency, they knew you had to tune for them. So they would call A LOT, maybe send your call 6 or more times, or 10. Then sign their call a few times, and maybe repeat the string, shorter. Then you would call them and hopefully, you two would have a 'QSO.'

I did not have much of a station back then to start. My very first receiver was a complete joke, a Hallicrafters S-38

S_38one.jpg

This insult of a radio had BIG problems. First and worst, it was an "AC-DC" or transformerless set. The filaments of the tubes were wired in series across the 110V line, like a cheap kitchen radio. It was dangerous because of this. Also it had low gain, and no RF or IF gain control. On the off chance that it overloaded, there was no way to control the gain, so the BFO needed for CW (Morse) reception would cause bad distortion. Junk

My next set came from a local guy, a Heatkit AR-3.

Right-Front-View-768x576.jpg

These were in many ways similar to the Hallicrafters. The improvements were that it was transformer powered, so safer electrically, and had an IF gain control, so you could receiver CW and even SSB (single sideband). But it was still unstable at higher frequencies, and basically a "bored and stroked" kitchen radio

Next, I bought an RME 4350. Stood for "Radio Manufacturing Engineers" and was part of the Electro-Voice microphone outfit. You could buy these cheap because the ball reduction dial mechanism failed on them. You bought an aftermarket ball reduction and modified/ installed that. They were a "hot" receiver, not bad. I paid 50 bucks for one........mail order......from World Radio Labs

rme4350.jpg

By the time I had my "General" class license, the draft was bangin' at my door. I really fooled them........joined the Navy for six years!!!!

-
Back